IGNORED

The Official Game Boy Thread

THAT is effin cool. Can I buy just the boxes? I have some games without boxes and like the hard case clamshell. Looks like it's actually made for game boy carts.

Now you need some custom made for your hand full of naked virtual boy carts. :D

Do gbc only carts also fit? The hybrid are just black dmg shells, but color only are slightly different shaped with their subtle rounded tops.

Edited by Video

Not bad, uses up a good bit of space though yet it looks nice.

I remember for years people were hitting up ebay or goodwill to buy up lots of cheap cassette tape cases. If you removed the 2 prongs from the inside they'll hold pretty much any handheld game well and it's a small print out to make a fold over piece of 'box art' for it too. They still eat up about the same space though.

• Like 1

Over the last couple of days I've been firing up the Game Boy and playing some random games. I loaded up the original Kirby's Dream Land and made pretty easy work of it. Interestingly, I never realized the game had an optional second loop ("Extra Mode"). It even tells you how to access this after the end credits, yet for some reason as a kid I never noticed it or bothered to try it. I went ahead and played through this harder mode and it was considerably more difficult than the base game. I appreciate this because I typically dismiss Kirby games as being total pushovers when it comes to the difficulty and there's little reason for me to play through them again as a result. I wonder if other Kirby games have semi-secret hard modes that I didn't know about?

• Like 3

I've slacked and I wish I hadn't but I tend to get consumed by one thing or another on random days. Yesterday and the day before it was a mix of Star Trek Online and also SuperNT and N8 on my HiDefNES kit, around that once a week I'll put a couple or more hours on Ys8. I do keep them handy, just need to think about it as I have my Game Boy Light, a 101 SP and an old DMG sitting right in my desk drawer and the games and other systems of the line all within a longer reach too.

I think I recall something about the KIrby loop, but I don't know what all it really was worth. I like the game, but it's a bit too basic since his staple suck move for talents wasn't added yet. It's like if I want a short basic Kirby play I can finish in like 40min or so (like going back to Super Mario Land) I just don't bother. It's good to know they shoved the difficulty up a notch because it's very easy, a relaxing stress free time waster.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got a Game Boy Pocket. I really like it. It's way better than the Game Boy Color, but I guess only because I like the Game Boy games to be in B&W when I play them. It's much better than the original Game Boy, too. I also got an A/C adapter so I can just plug it in when I want to play.

• Like 1

I've got a nice red GameBoy Pocket. I like it but man is it hard to see. I can't believe we used to love this.

Want to get others, though... a GB Color, a GBA SP, and a full size original GameBoy, preferably with the clear case like I used to have.

Also have a couple of GBAs (one indigo and one glacier), a pink DS Lite that needs a new case and the Mario 25th Anniversary DSiXL.

Ugh no doubt dude entirely agree with you on that. Running old GB games on GBC always bugged the crap out of me (or GBA since it runs GBC chip mode.) I loved the custom colors the BIOS had setup for anything Nintendo published they or third parties made though. But the default color setup is hot garbage so I always have to remind myself to press the button/dpad combo to get black and white mode.

I still like the GBC for what it is, but it's the only GB the US got I don't have a duplicate of because it's just mostly impractical sadly. I've got 2 DMGs, 2 GBPs one is for keeps pristine and second as a user, but lately despite getting a nice deal on a pocket, I've been using a GB Light when I want to play as it has the same great GBP image but obviously it has that luminescent mode for in the dark which is awesome.

See for yourself, lots of GBs there: http://tanooki.byethost16.com/gameboy.html (you can see under color the smaller game list and single system, but GBA has plenty of choice too like the original.)

I was going to say, left + b on startup will set your gbc to grayscale mode. I think right + b inverted grayscale or something, I play many arcade titles like qix and space invaders like that.

I loved the screen on the pocket, compared to the dmg, but that battery life... When your used to getting a day + on a set of AA and drop to the sub ten hour range, bitd, that sucked. Always wanted to put the pocket screen in the dmg and see how that worked, but I get it's a different style. The light gets a similar battery life, with the light on, but using AA, I get it's more reasonable with it off.

• Like 1

You turn off the light in the GBL though downgrading it to a stock GBP though the battery life grows a good bit. It's not a bad compromise if you don't need the green.

I know it's B+ a direction, just either left or right as you said one is like normal B&W and I guess the other would be the concept kind of of the biverted output.

Speaking of GB things eating at me still I really am fuming I still can't seem to get a legit copy of KOnami GB Collection Vol4 *UK/GBC* and it sucks, have the other 3.

Edited by Tanooki

• 3 weeks later...

I'm trying hard to watch that video but that drunk british glass gargling yoda voice and rubber mask are really not working for me.

I recommend strongly the work of Jeremy Parish if you want some real dug into history and meat and potatoes with fun coverage of every single game on that hardware with Gameboy Works. He has polished off the first couple years or so. Not trying to be mean but nothing here is new that wasn't covered before and better. You really need some kind of added new info or unique content to stand out anymore. Nice try though.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I ended up getting a range of Gameboys over the last year or so:

Gameboy Light

Very nice device, I would have loved to have this when I was a kid.

It's basically a Gameboy Pocket with a light you can turn on/off. However, I find the contrast is lower than the standard Gameboy Pocket, possibly due to the texture of the screen. Turning the light on helps a bit, but that hurts the battery life. If you appreciate how GB games ONLY look good on a monochrome screen, this is probably the best thing to get.

Gameboy Pocket

I was pretty impressed with the contrast compared with the GBL. Again, it just might be because of the texture of the screen on the GBL, but things just generally look better. I ended up getting 2 each of GBLs and GBPs, and found the quality of the screen varies depending on age/wear/etc; however, my best GBP looks noticeably better than my best GBL.

The downside is the battery life of the GBP. This also means that it only barely works with the Everdrive GB. You need to stick with non-rechargeable batteries if you want any hope of using an Everdrive with this thing, and even then, if the batteries are drained a bit you'll have trouble.

Gameboy Color

This obviously is the most visible of all three, but games often don't look right at all. The screen is noticeably smaller than the GBP/GBL, and I notice a lot of graphical glitches in backgrounds. I don't know how else to explain it, but B&W original GB games look "cheap" on a GBC.

---

I actually bought these out of order; I first got a GBC, didn't like how B&W games looked on it, then tracked down a GBL and loved it except for the contrast. I had a hunch and got a GBP and was surprised to find it looked even better than the GBL.

Who knew Gameboy was so complicated!

Good call on what you're saying about them. I don't think the GBL really looks worse, it is the style of screen but it really doesn't hurt it so. And the GBP you get that vertical darkness banding that pops up depending how up the contrast wheel is set, yet it's basically viewable almost as any level but worse as you darken it. I'd have to double check but I think the GBL cleared that out. I really love the gold one I have, so little use on it from whoever had it before me so it's like new. The GBC is an issue, the panel isn't right not just for size, but also it's just darker since it's made to suck in ambient light and isn't that great at it, so it needs a light over it in some way to be of any good use (which annoying due to the lens reflects it back in your face obscuring things.)

• Like 1

Does anyone have experience with the Gameboy emulation on the GBA? Im pretty interested in trying this when my GBA flashcart arrives

It works pretty good. I use it all the time even though I have the native Gameboy X7 flashcart, which is great.. but if I have a GBA in hand it's just convenient to continue using the GBA Flashcart if I get a hankering for original gameboy games. Note though there ARE some games that don't run as well, or have emulation errors, but they're few and far between.

Speaking of GBA.. I'm in the process of modding my original one to put in a AGS-101 screen.. Just finished dremelling out the plastic so the screen can fit. After this I think it's just one point to solder and it'll be all done (barring any oddities) :)

3tLwYF3.jpg

• Like 1

Does anyone have experience with the Gameboy emulation on the GBA? Im pretty interested in trying this when my GBA flashcart arrives

Yes, plenty since the 90s with the old BUNG era and Flash2Advance kits. I know it's emulation, but in a way it's more of a pass through simulation really when it comes down to it if I remember right. The Goomba or Goomba Color emulator, it if I'm remembering clearly from over a decade ago they basically tap into the Gameboy Color chipset which is a co-processor on the GBA it uses for BC as it is to play games, but as far as it being an emulator goes, you get those typical bells and whistles a GBA emulator from the happy group of flubba/loopy cooked up then and you can find images of that online. If you're using the EZ Flash Omega which is your best kit choice, it's already stored within the inner workings of the kit (as is PocketNES too.) In there you can just drag n' drop your .GB and .GBC games into a folder on your card and just click them from the menu and they work like any GBA game would. If you're not, I think the same feature more expensive everdrive does it too. Yet if you find some other older or off brand kit you'll need to use a tool to pre-compile basically a single .GBA file as a DIY multicart on your own (up to a max size of 4MB (32gb.) Either way once you are into an old GB/GBC game they work as they would on real hardware real carts right down to the saving. The emulator side adds some choices, all optional, including also load/save states too. This thing is fantastic if you don't have a GB everdrive, or you're using a GB Micro, DS, or DSLite which blocks out GBC/GB as it will work using the emulator.

It works pretty good. I use it all the time even though I have the native Gameboy X7 flashcart, which is great.. but if I have a GBA in hand it's just convenient to continue using the GBA Flashcart if I get a hankering for original gameboy games. Note though there ARE some games that don't run as well, or have emulation errors, but they're few and far between.

Speaking of GBA.. I'm in the process of modding my original one to put in a AGS-101 screen.. Just finished dremelling out the plastic so the screen can fit. After this I think it's just one point to solder and it'll be all done (barring any oddities) :)

You're right. There's one spot of solder needed on your board, helps with powering the screen so it has a brighter output as without it's not so hot. I wish I had the dremel I do now, it's an oldie from the 70s that's rock solid I recently got some chucks for, when I tried to do what you're onto now a couple years back as I killed the GBA with a simple drop on carpet. :( I do have a beater 101, a nice one put into a cobalt blue too, and I've got a spare GBA or two lying around as well (grape I found the other day, or a glacier one I've had) that I could do it to no problem. The comfort of using that especially for games using L/R is unmatched in the GBA line, cozier to use, still not perfect, but far nicer like the DS shape was compared to the SP or micro. The other bonus is real batteries, no need to worry about 15 year old GBA batteries or cheap chinese knockoffs.

• Like 1

3tLwYF3.jpg

Thanks for the info. I was hoping to just use the GBA everdrive for replacing the Game Boy for the GC player.It sounds promising.

That pic brought back some old ass memories of installing the front light kit bitd. Great times but yours is going to look 100 times better.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. I was hoping to just use the GBA everdrive for replacing the Game Boy for the GC player.It sounds promising.

That pic brought back some old ass memories of installing the front light kit bitd. Great times but yours is going to look 100 times better.

You can, I have. I've got the EZ Flash Omega since it sits flush on the GBA/MIcro/DSLite (has a swappable shell included.) Works all the same as the GBA Everdrive for ease of setup, one click starting of things, saves are solid (not battery dependent), has battery only for RTC games, same speeds basically on read, write, play -- yet 1/2 the price of krikzz. I put all the GB+GBC stuff on this microSD card I had and it goes nicely into the GB Player or the handhelds of whatever size with no issues at all. I just use the Everdrive GB when using my GB, GBC, GBP or GB Light.