IGNORED

The Official Game Boy Thread

I just picked up a new, er, used gba glacier white, I was thinking of getting a sp screen and updating that sucker. All my gba stuff got stolen a few years back and replacing stuff is taking time, especially all my modded systems.

Jeez, is it really $80 for a backlit screen now?, Heh, my original glacier was afterburner modded, but that's a frontlight, imo it was better than the mk 1 sp frontlit screen.

I like the frontlit dmg newtmonkey, that's cool, reminds me of game boy light.

Discovered this official Game Boy thread right now! I'll take a seat with permission and check previous posts :)

My GB consoles:

Classic DMG-001 (battered, from my childhood)

Gameboy Pocket black (almost perfect condition, plastic hard case a bit used/scratched)

Gameboy Color lime green (screen starts to act funny with a strange line, need to clean up and check out)

Gameboy Advance classic (second hand, a bit battered but works)

Gameboy Advance SP NES Edition (a bit used, I'll change external case soon for a spare one and clean internally. My favourite ever).

Games...I'll make a list soon I suppose.

image.thumb.png.e9d71f76509955a7547fad22dd12ca0f.pngimage.thumb.png.a4aa3f88f833813f19f3878d4c467695.png

• Like 3

If you're getting a line in any old Gameboy screen, forget it, it's over.  It may likely be over then and there, but a few will have temporary luck using low moving heat off a soldering iron tip over where the ribbon hits the back of the panel though that's just some borrowed time.

Either replace the entire part OEM or get a nice backlight modern panel so you can use it wherever whenever.

By the way, seeing DOOM II there... did  you all know someone took one of the source ports of DOOM (1 and 2) and converted them to the GBA?  Check this out, it's nuts, guy even gives a before/after screen shot comparison and it's crazy.  https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4899/

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, atari2600land said:

Yes, it's like the Mario Paint minigame. I haven't heard of Flyswatter for DOS before.

It's Mario Paint's game exactly, just less pretty since it's older, DOS, and minimally colored...it's not CGA or anything but it's damn near colored ASCII/ANSI quality stuff. :D  I also got the name wrong, looked it up, it's Superfly!

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, SegaSnatcher said:

My IPS modded Gameboy Advance. 

Ee1lyiTWkAEAvjd.jpg

Nice one, clean, kept it simple.

I'm waiting on the USPS to stop acting like they are begging to get replaced by a competent replacement and get my 3 GBC IPS kits here.  I got this sweet atomic purple I want to light up like that for my own personal use, the other 2 will get reshelled, a good treatment with the panel etc, and sold.

Here's an example of a set of 3 I did recently, trying to currently sell them, just haven't posted them on here as I never had much luck with Nintendo goods on the sales forum here at all. :D

99E3A109-D574-47EB-B46C-49E196214D27.thumb.jpeg.bbdb35996f16ac844200b5431f3a4f83.jpegEADEA76C-F1C9-4526-BEC0-4945AB3E8C7A.thumb.jpeg.76be85006bc905234d6a9d1e17c0a3de.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2021 at 5:10 PM, Pixelboy said:

The Retron Jr is still alive! Now it's called the Retron Sq!

Also: https://www.oldschoolgamermagazine.com/hyperkin-announces-new-name-and-console-features-for-retron-jr-project/

So the GBA support portion of the machine is now marked as "beta", which means it's a work-in-progress. So while there's still no release date on the thing, it can be assumed that they'll release it this year, sooner rather than later, with some firmware updates coming to fix the bugs in the emulation. Not really a problem if 1) they have some kind of official online hub where people can report issues, and 2) firmware updates are easy and straightforward.

So good news, I would say.  :)

I saw your comment about the GBA "beta" support on the Hyperkin RetroN Sq... well... I got a review unit and you can see the results for yourself. Sadly, not great. Maybe they can improve it by the time they are in consumer's hands? 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Metal Jesus said:

I saw your comment about the GBA "beta" support on the Hyperkin RetroN Sq... well... I got a review unit and you can see the results for yourself. Sadly, not great. Maybe they can improve it by the time they are in consumer's hands? 

I may be overthinking this, but their bad GBA support may be done slightly on purpose, because it's visibly so bad that people who will buy the Retron Sq will definitely go through the trouble of tracking down and downloading the latest firmware. The guys at Hyperkin are perfectly aware that their GBA emulation leaves much to be desired and they know that they need to fix it otherwise their product is going to go to the same landfill where they buried those E.T. Atari 2600 carts all those years ago.  :P  In fact, I would expect that new firmware with slightly better GBA support will be available right on release day, or not long after. And once people get used to installing new firmware, they will release firmware updates as they work out the kinks in their GBA support.

Anyway, I'm so glad I bought a GBA Consolizer a few months ago. It's one of the later models with the better power switch button. It was pricy, but looking at the price of the Analogue Pocket (and the Dock device sold separately) I feel it was worth it because with the Consolizer, I don't have to worry about game compatibility, since it's an actual Game Boy Advance under the hood. 

Anyway, thanks for the video, Metal Jesus, it was very informative.  :)

17 minutes ago, NinjaWarrior said:

It's because of Pokemon, The Game Boy lived another 7 Years

Damn right it was a big factor.  I don't think it was the only, but it made is super profitable instead of languishing for years with slowly dwindling support.  Maybe a GBC would have come a year or two earlier since their so called Atlantis 32bit thing wasn't ever going to happen especially with them as budget conscious as they were.  GB was still making good profit even without those little pocket monsters.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2021 at 9:21 PM, 0078265317 said:

I backed this and bought her previous game Lunar Journey. I knew going in that it was short, but I was a little surprised it was over in 45 minutes. It was a pretty good time, with really nice art, decent music, some funny dialogue, and a few puzzles you had to think about at least a little. It felt like a really great idea for a game but it needed either a lot more substance or something to make it more replayable. Towards the end, the dialogue and the puzzles got rather slapdash and rushed. 

I don’t know that I will be hanging onto it long-term. Hopefully Shapeshifter will be a little more more.

16 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

I backed this and bought her previous game Lunar Journey. I knew going in that it was short, but I was a little surprised it was over in 45 minutes. It was a pretty good time, with really nice art, decent music, some funny dialogue, and a few puzzles you had to think about at least a little. It felt like a really great idea for a game but it needed either a lot more substance or something to make it more replayable. Towards the end, the dialogue and the puzzles got rather slapdash and rushed. 

I don’t know that I will be hanging onto it long-term. Hopefully Shapeshifter will be a little more more.

So another one is coming.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/cancelled-game-boy-color-game-infinity-to-be-completed-and-released/amp/

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone, sorry if this question was posted early on this thread, but I have an issue in the repair of an old game boy advance.

I bought this old GBA and restored it, cleaned all the electric parts and changed the shell.

the problem is that when i start the console without a cartridge  on it, the console turn on without problems, but when I power the console with the cartridge on it, doesn't turn up and the power on led only makes a little green/red flash.

hopefully someone on this forum can help me in my search to bring back to life this old GBA.

thanks guys!

Hi everyone!

Just found this thread. Love the original Gameboy!

The lack of a backlight, the blurring, the green screen, finding a quality window in your house, it's all part of the GB gaming experience imo.

I know modding is big now as are the other GB's but for me the DMG can't be beat.

Pics below of the limited things I have. All bought back in the day except Donkey Kong.

Have to say, battery life is just insane.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

• Like 4

That's really not a bad start really, at least if you're a sports fan as that's about all you got and decent variety of it too(top row aside.)

I've been not good about updating into this thread, don't bother with the finds in the wild(thrift) one either anymore.

So maybe this will breathe a little added life as well.  This happened in 3 snap ups locally over a period of 4 days.  Each section (2 games, system, the rest to right) are each.  What's here is some popular stuff that would get some attention, but given the utterly disgusting and toxic stuff going on finally to the Gameboy prices only starting in this year, the fact it wasn't like selling a kidney to get these is amazing. :D

13th - Zelda+DKLand w/case were $35+12 together (Zelda is 1/2 off, other basically even.)

14th - Half Price Books did me a solid here and the next -- $30 on that handheld, was dead at store (no charger), recharged great, lens clean, shell minor scuffing/wear.  SP's are like $70-80 now for the 001 (101s higher)

16th - The other Zelda, WL3, R-Type DX, and Castlevania Double Pack, the amazing isn't just that it's that, but the value.  HBP fouled up, CDP was $25 (retails online for $100+), Zelda was $40(1/2 off), WL3 was even, and R-Type was $5 (retails $25 with a nice label)

Best of all, I bough it for *ME* screw the resale racket, I"m trying to get rid of anything this year I don't want, so I'm not trying to pick up stuff unless it's of personal use so getting those deals made it all the most special.  The only kind of double is the castlevania one, I've got the original carts so either I keep those or dump em as it's nice saving a little space.

GB-May13-16finds.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tanooki said:

but given the utterly disgusting and toxic stuff going on finally to the Gameboy prices only starting in this year, the fact it wasn't like selling a kidney to get these is amazing. :D

Haha, you did well.

You might find this of interest I came across a couple of days ago! I can no longer find it so it appears it was pulled.

gb.jpg