IGNORED

The Official Game Boy Thread

@c0op3r If you mean facehugger, where it kind of goes around the original handheld (AGB) I've seen and disliked those, so I wrote them off years back as impractical and annoying.  I'd go with what you have in that image a stand alone unit as it seems useful.  The standard at which I'd personally bother given I already have HDMI capable Gamecube+GB Player as a choice would be one that did HDMI output, but unlike the GB Player was truly 100% functional without quirks.  And the unhinged, that stinks about the phones jack, I hate it lacks one, that would be a motivator so maybe worth looking at a video to see how it plays out.  My hands aren't entirely steady at times and my tools are a little lacking for the finer end of stuff, its' why when I have done past GB/GBC updates I don't do the teeny pad soldering to get those GUIs up for screen position and what not.  I'll deal with the small singular lines for the touch panels or whatever to deal with colors/brightness though.

The AGB I have isn't oddly in garbage shape.  It's a stock nice purple shell, the lens was destroyed pretty badly so I put this glass one on it that had a slight defect (edge of glass well off screen) of like a ball point pen type bubble in it but that's it.  I'm not sure what you consider 'cheap' or if perhaps you may have something other than cash I'd be happy with I'd swap it.

Your macro body you found, got that right, and what you have there with that helder one I never heard of would make it worth bothering if they got all that hell out of the way of what was done for years now.

46 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

I know, I'm very well aware that Capcom farmed out their MM games.  I still will never agree with some people who crap all over MM2 on GB.  I think it's a really fun outing on there, liked it a lot more than the first one.  They did start to make for better space with the later releases, though I think with 5 it was obvious since it was all fresh meat and not dual NES game re-hash it went a bit better for it.  The X games on GBC are partly resized, the stages work great, the problem is not giving enough room in the boss rooms, one thing that plagues all 7 of the 8bit releases (2 GBC, 5 GB) and it was always the biggest put off to me.  The stages on the GBC and MM5 on GB have the room allowances to be far more comfortable, maybe it was Capcom taking the mover vs farm out if that's the case I don't know.  The GBA game though is a dumpster fire, it really needed to be scaled, and it's a common problem with platformers brought from the SNES to GBA because DKC1-3 even from Nintendo/Rare have the same leap of faith garbage due to the last of horizontal space and lack of consideration to tweak stuff for it.

MM2 had some odd stage design ideas, the worst music execution of all 5 games, and a underwhelming surprise villain (Quint). Sure it's not trash tier like Mega Man on the Game Gear. Which takes the screen size issue to new lows with vertical scrolling when jumping, but I can see why people think II is the worst of the 5. Though III isn't all that special either.

You're right about the boss rooms though. It's a problem at times. Burner man in MM&B is a good example. He zooms around constantly out of view, and since his flame jets have hit boxes he can damage you before he's on screen.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

The other would be a GBA game, a Dreamcast upgraded port because it carries the entire original game and 100s (1000?) added puzzles people(fans) submitted to Sega for some years and rolled up into it ... Chu Chu Rocket which came out at launch, in every way other than resolution better than the original. :D

@jgkspsx Dude...Ive wanted those for awhile, just never have the good luck to find them for a right price, than the gouging troll rate.  THose are the pinnacle of those Namco releases on 8bit Gameboy hardware and they did them with such care.  I really need to just make the effort a bit more, you should review them for fun in here...if you know the originals enough to be good with it.

@electricmastroMy favorite game on that would be Afterburner but I've read it's anywhere from good to unplayable and lacking which is concerning.

+1 on Chu Chu Rocket GBA being the best version of the game and also one of the very best on the system.

I am not very good at Pac Man/Ms but I can hold my own with the rest. I’ll see what I can do. I think I paid less than $10 for the loose carts and less than $20 for the cib vol 3.

Sega Arcade Gallery is wonderful for Space Harrier, Super Hang On, and Outrun. Pretend Afterburner is not even claimed to be on the cartridge and everyone will be better off.

3 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I'm going to double post here, love this thread and see things I want to respond to:

Starting with @electricmastro (#489) You have a few nice ones there, but I really feel I should point out a couple more, and the funny thing, they're only underappreciated on the system, but not by name where they came from.  One would be MAGICAL DROP which was a GBC only cart, popular from the Neo Geo arcade which had 3 releases.  The other would be a GBA game, a Dreamcast upgraded port because it carries the entire original game and 100s (1000?) added puzzles people(fans) submitted to Sega for some years and rolled up into it ... Chu Chu Rocket which came out at launch, in every way other than resolution better than the original. :D

I'd figure as much since Chu Chu Rocket GBA has many of the user-created levels from the Dreamcast game.

• Like 1

Too weird! I never would have expected that!

I have been playing two games I got cheap from the UK CIB, one of which was sealed. Should I be suspicious that they are crap? Maybe.

The first is Gift, an adaptation of the PS2 attempt to start a new IP. It didn’t work, but I appreciate their efforts. I generally like the game so far, but Game Over is Game Over - no continues at all. The music is like Bubble Bobble… FROM HELL.

I guess the main character LOOKS like Bub or Bob from Hell, so I guess that makes sense.

The other one is SWIV, an Amiga conversion. Excellent music but a rather poopy color palette and a lot less of the three-dimensional appearance of the 16 bit versions. The cramped viewport is kind of an issue too. Nevertheless, this is a fun and very replayable game, and for $20 sealed I was very happy to pick this up when there are so few shmups to be had.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

+1 on Chu Chu Rocket GBA being the best version of the game and also one of the very best on the system.

I am not very good at Pac Man/Ms but I can hold my own with the rest. I’ll see what I can do. I think I paid less than $10 for the loose carts and less than $20 for the cib vol 3.

Sega Arcade Gallery is wonderful for Space Harrier, Super Hang On, and Outrun. Pretend Afterburner is not even claimed to be on the cartridge and everyone will be better off.

Ahh...so afterburner really is that rotten, or would it pass muster if you find say like the NES/SMS versions of the game fun?  They're lacking too.

$10 is pretty awesome, sound like you lucked out.

Surprised like like SWIV, I had that one briefly on the GBC and I found it pretty aggravating, directly due to how it plays mixed with the lack of space to react in time which even you point out (cramped viewport.)

Activision Anthology is probably the single best (and BY FAR the biggest) retro collection on any Game Boy. As I’ve been digging my 2600 collection out of storage I have been very disappointed to learn that I did not actually own all of the games in that collection. I put so many hours into that and the PSP one, seeing the cartridge art and box mockups, etc, that I had quite convinced myself that I had most or at least half of them, when really I only had fifteen or so ?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

Activision Anthology is probably the single best (and BY FAR the biggest) retro collection on any Game Boy. As I’ve been digging my 2600 collection out of storage I have been very disappointed to learn that I did not actually own all of the games in that collection. I put so many hours into that and the PSP one, seeing the cartridge art and box mockups, etc, that I had quite convinced myself that I had most or at least half of them, when really I only had fifteen or so ?

Yep, so many different games done by Activision for the 2600, lol:

Screen-Shot-2021-09-06-at-4-03-29-PM.png

Edited by electricmastro

The GBA version of Rayman is actually not bad. It's better than I expected. There is less missing then I was led to believe, the game plays and animates well, the soundtrack is passable, and it's easier. Significantly.

It makes me wonder why they didn't add sliding to the Jaguar version, guess they ran out of time.

But, it's the first time it seems probable I can get all the cages and unlock the final level proper instead of using a pass code. I still have a continue left and 7 lives which would be gone in the PS1 version a few levels into band land.

I do miss the awesome composition of the CD version though. 

5 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Too weird! I never would have expected that!

Never would have expected these either. lol:

BurgerTime/The Flintstones: BurgerTime in Bedrock:

Elevator Action/Dexter's Laboratory: Robot Rampage:

Front Line/Sgt. Rock: On the Frontline:

Pop n Pop/Yogi Bear: Great Balloon Blast:

Edited by electricmastro
  • Like 2

Oh no, the GBA Midway Arcade Hits is the single worst retro collection ever. The Tiger game.com Williams Greatest Hits is significantly better. See this thread:

At least so far as Joust and Defender go, the GBC black cart Arcade Classics series are the only ones to get. They were done by Digital Eclipse, the only people doing good ports back then. The grey cart port of Joust (by Nintendo?) is among the worst.

What do you think is the best 2D GBA game graphically?

Graphics, image quality, fluid animation, detail, speed, cool sprite effects, good colors, well made and detailed backgrounds, zoom/scaling etc?

I fell most of the better looking and playing 2D games compromise somewhere, but maybe there's a game that's peak 2D on the GBA.

2 hours ago, Leeroy ST said:

What do you think is the best 2D GBA game graphically?

Graphics, image quality, fluid animation, detail, speed, cool sprite effects, good colors, well made and detailed backgrounds, zoom/scaling etc?

I fell most of the better looking and playing 2D games compromise somewhere, but maybe there's a game that's peak 2D on the GBA.

It would definitely have to be one of the RPGs, likely Super Robot Taisen: Original Generation 2:

Well it's kind of based on taste for 2D visuals on GBA.  Some could easily argue Castlevania Aria of Sorrow, or something like the Metroid titles which is fair game.  Then you could push towards a racer like f-zero climax perhaps, or the solid effort of the street fighter alpha 3 conversion.  There are lots of choices depending on which idea of best is with 2D.  Golden Sun would be a solid competitor as well.

6 hours ago, Leeroy ST said:

That's definitely a top contender for sure. For graphics anyway. 

I wonder what the budget for that was. I thought Super Robot was a cheaper series.

Yggdra Union: We'll Never Fight Alone from 2006 is also pretty impressive for being perhaps the last new major release on the system:

12 minutes ago, electricmastro said:

Yggdra Union: We'll Never Fight Alone from 2006 is also pretty impressive for being perhaps the last new major release on the system:

It pales compared to the last one, but also not too shabby. Although the over world takes a hit.

Edited by Leeroy ST
  • Like 2

List of games that are on both SNES and GBA (and were also both released in the US):

Final Fantasy VI Advance

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past/Four Swords

Final Fantasy IV Advance

Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2

Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3

Breath of Fire

Breath of Fire II

Donkey Kong Country

Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest

Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble!

Final Fight One

DOOM

Mortal Kombat Advance

Contra Advance: The Alien Wars EX

Dungeons & Dragons: Eye of the Beholder

Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts

Earthworm Jim

Wolfenstein 3D

The Lost Vikings

Disney's Magical Quest Starring Mickey & Minnie

Clue

SimCity 2000

Aero the Acro-Bat

Rock n' Roll Racing

Disney's Magical Quest 2 Starring Mickey and Minnie

Phalanx

Monopoly

R-Type III: The Third Lightning

Disney's Aladdin

Earthworm Jim 2

Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure

Blackthorne

F-14 Tomcat

Chessmaster

Desert Strike: Return to the Gulf

Space Invaders

Prehistorik Man

Casper

Crazy Chase

Mr. Nutz

James Pond: Codename Robocod

Family Feud

Pinball Challenge Deluxe

Soccer Kid

Edited by electricmastro
  • Like 2

Shame excluding the JP stuff, there's another Magical Quest and FF5 too.

You did leave off Super Mario Advance 1 and 4 though...they're basically built using the Super Mario Allstars assets.  Maybe a little bit gray area logic, but I think they should count.  I don't know why but I wonder if anything was missed, maybe that is it.

Pocky & Rocky I don't see that, and yes it's a little changed on GBA adding Becky, but it's really the original game with that character added as a bonus.

• Like 3