Jump to content
Skippy B. Coyote

The Official Game Boy Thread

Recommended Posts

@jgkspsx Uhh that's dead.  I've had the game, I could fire it up in my omega easily enough, but I can tell you it isn't on the microscopic black list of issues, and that's usually due to some added thing like sunlight or tilt, usually it comes down to audio getting trashy.  That cart is hosed.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder why Sega didn't put out a Virtua Fighter Advance considering the many 3D fighting attempts on the system, and Sega having pushed several games on it.

 

https://i.imgur.com/uox1C9R.gifv

 

tumblr_nz3oz2WiM21qd4q8ao1_500.gifv.gif.8b144e4a09387f7781845a2b3ee02ad9.gif

 

Mortal Kombat and Tekken seem decent. It's no Ngage but for VFs more polygon character models I could see it working better than the other two.

 

Heck even a port of VF1 should be near arcade perfect.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tekken GBA is mindblowing.

 

The Frogger adventure games are janky but fun if you can take the frustration. The GBA iteration of Zapper: One Wicked Cricket also uses the same engine and plays exactly the same.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of these days I really need to try Infiltrator. I think I accidentally bought Underground. A YouTube commenter opined here that it would be more fun to serve in WWII than play that. I think they are wrong, but I’m not 100% sure.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone here buy the Castlevania GBA collection on Switch? Usually that'd be a no-brainer for me, but I actually spent much of 2021 playing through all GBA Castlevania games again.. on a GBA.  So I was pretty much done with it, then boom they hit up with the collection. So I don't really have a huge desire to play through them yet again even on Switch :lol:  Maybe when it goes on sale I'll bite. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MOHU on GBA is the utterly bottom rung in the top 3 worst FPS games on the system, I'd struggle to add the words functional and fun in the same sentence.

 

Infiltrator is fantastic even if it is overhead, very well done.  Yet also above that we have KOF Neoblood EX2 (tehre is 1 too) both are utterly amazing and not lacking for function like SFT2 and SFA3 since NeoGeo runs a 4 button array (not 6.)  The way those two work is amazing, best fighters on the hardware from a technical standpoint, mileage will vary if you're a fan of KOF though. :)

 

@NE146 Grabbed it on Steam, it's a bare bones job as far as actual in game works...it's minimalist such as like the NES/SNES/Genesis Minis go with a few filter and display size choices for the games, and that's it other than a few menu choices for save/load states and other seneless drivel you'll forget.  The games just run in the same aspect ratio/resolution but blown up to fit the screen.  They did a quality job on them, just not much done either, yet also there's a really fun soundtrack that auto plays through each game or whatever by your choice which is a nice touch (more so on PC, can leave it running doing other stuff.)


I grabbed it, started on Circle because the other two I recently got that cheap ass find some months ago back of the Doublepack on GBA which the half price system screwed up and marked as a common $25 cart :D ($100+ game.)  I also sometime around then found a stack of dollar manuals at that store too, grabbed most, thought it was my missing Aria manual, but ende dup when I flipped it over, reversed to fold right, was harmony -- it's the hard to come by double pack manual. :D  Due to that inspiration I've been chipping at those two games when I have time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/26/2021 at 5:07 AM, electricmastro said:

The King of Fighters EX2: Howling Blood is probably the top achievement of fighters of the Game Boy systems.

 

 

It's not 3D this so it's bad by default.

 

..

 

Hey, people believed that for awhile back then. Even during the early 2000's.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

One of these days I really need to try Infiltrator. I think I accidentally bought Underground. A YouTube commenter opined here that it would be more fun to serve in WWII than play that. I think they are wrong, but I’m not 100% sure.

 

 

Underground might be the worst received FPS on the system. Infiltrator probably went for the third-person perspective after the first-person one didn't work out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tanooki said:

MOHU on GBA is the utterly bottom rung in the top 3 worst FPS games on the system, I'd struggle to add the words functional and fun in the same sentence.

Might as well list out the FPS GBA games from best to worst:

 

DOOM II

 

DOOM

 

Wolfenstein 3D

 

Duke Nukem Advance

 

007: NightFire

 

Ecks vs. Sever

 

BackTrack

 

Dark Arena

 

Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever II

 

Ice Nine

 

Greg Hastings' Tournament Paintball Max'd

 

Serious Sam Advance

 

Medal of Honor: Underground

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I agree with you on that order there @electricmastro for the most part. I'd make that the top 5 though.  Just not sure I'd put Wolfy on top of Duke, mostly due to the fact bam! pissed me off removing all the music being CHEAP and not going for another sized chip.  That aside, it's spot on so maybe... Duke is just so well done and creative not being a port.  007 deserves that spot, Ecks was crap I'd move it lower.  The strange one there, for me is Dark Arena, a way obvious Doom ripoff, but the engine on it is pretty decent and it handles ok.  Back Track I'd put under it, control isn't as nice, and it has a very short draw distance the others don't have that issue with where it dithers out this black space where walls jut vanish in front of you which can get you wrecked.

 

Ice Nine is the major let down as is Serious Sam there.  I9 has really terrible mission objectives, vague at best how not to fail enough of them, it turns the game into a bad chore.  It runs fine, looks on the nicer end(sound too) but the control could need a little help but mostly that one thing ruins it completely (I had it.)  SSA I had too, it's fun, but it's unwatchable as the engine is so basic and bad anything not like arm length away is just a jumble of random squares, big ones and fewer, makes SNES DOOM look high res.  Shame too as it can put enough on the screen and moves fine, but it's impossible to get the first shot in as you can't see much other than close up, the AI can though. 😕

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

I think I agree with you on that order there @electricmastro for the most part. I'd make that the top 5 though.  Just not sure I'd put Wolfy on top of Duke, mostly due to the fact bam! pissed me off removing all the music being CHEAP and not going for another sized chip.  That aside, it's spot on so maybe... Duke is just so well done and creative not being a port.  007 deserves that spot, Ecks was crap I'd move it lower.  The strange one there, for me is Dark Arena, a way obvious Doom ripoff, but the engine on it is pretty decent and it handles ok.  Back Track I'd put under it, control isn't as nice, and it has a very short draw distance the others don't have that issue with where it dithers out this black space where walls jut vanish in front of you which can get you wrecked.

 

Ice Nine is the major let down as is Serious Sam there.  I9 has really terrible mission objectives, vague at best how not to fail enough of them, it turns the game into a bad chore.  It runs fine, looks on the nicer end(sound too) but the control could need a little help but mostly that one thing ruins it completely (I had it.)  SSA I had too, it's fun, but it's unwatchable as the engine is so basic and bad anything not like arm length away is just a jumble of random squares, big ones and fewer, makes SNES DOOM look high res.  Shame too as it can put enough on the screen and moves fine, but it's impossible to get the first shot in as you can't see much other than close up, the AI can though. 😕

Yeah, I will say that Ice Nine at least got it with having it run relatively smooth, instead of letting it lag.

 

 

Edited by electricmastro
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rolan's Curse 2 | Tail 'Gator | Dexterity | Ninja Boy 2

 

Ninja Taro | Cosmo Tank | Word Zap | Pyramids of Ra

 

Test Drive Le Mans | WDL World Destruction League: Thunder Tanks | Toki Tori | Cannon Fodder

 

Magical Drop | Marvin Strikes Back! | Metal Walker | Ballistic

 

Unknown.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/27/2021 at 8:55 PM, electricmastro said:

Yeah, I will say that Ice Nine at least got it with having it run relatively smooth, instead of letting it lag.

 

Ice Nine looks, sounds, and runs great -- Torus ran it I believe, the engine was the one used in Duke.  The only singular thing that makes a great game purely awful is how they designed and executed how mission objectives work in that game.  Overly rigid times, fuzzy objectives, others just not described...outright fails popping up with NO clue why.  It could have been the best, ended up nearly the absolute worst.

 

Good selection of games on that second post.  Rolan's #2 is awesome compared to the first from all I've picked up on, I had the first...issues. Ninja Taro regret not buying that, but pricing now is too toxic for what that game is.  Cosmo Tank I had before it's bizarre but kind of works alright, it's unique at least for the time.  In the GBC space there though LeMans shares an engine with V-Rally 99 and I LOVE that rally game, works awesome. Toki Tori is amazing, still around today with other releases, and Cannon Fodder is nuts...timeless, crazy game has a good sized FMV opening to it on there.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Tanooki said:

In the GBC space there though LeMans shares an engine with V-Rally 99 and I LOVE that rally game, works awesome.

Speaking of racing, there's also TOCA Touring Car Championship, which seems more basic, but is very well done for what it is:

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While faux rare annoyingly so, so priced accordingly, look up Colin McRae racing.  Solid game, solidly annoying price unless something changed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/27/2021 at 3:59 PM, electricmastro said:

 

Serious Sam Advance

 

Didn't know they did this, but just the though of a SS game on GBA doesn't sound like it could turn out well.

 

20 hours ago, Tanooki said:

While faux rare annoyingly so, so priced accordingly, look up Colin McRae racing.  Solid game, solidly annoying price unless something changed.

Speaking if racing CNK on GBA is pretty dang good, possibly better than the console version, and looking around online that seems to be a common opinion. 

 

A SP racing adventure in the GBA sounds ambitious but they pulled it off. Good number of tracks too, and the boss battles aren't terrible.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Leeroy ST said:

Didn't know they did this, but just the though of a SS game on GBA doesn't sound like it could turn out well.

Results seemed rather mixed:

 

 

Edited by electricmastro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Serious Sam on the GBA isn't so much as bad or off the mark from the older PC based games, the issue is the visuals are quite chunky so when you're not on a blown up screen (computer, console, gba player) you can't make out much at any distance at all which means free cheap hits.  The other would be more taste based, but obviously GBA isn't going to have like 10+ screamers coming at you at once, it's more Doom level of baddies on screen so take that as you will.

 

There's worse, just more better than it.  I've only played it on GBA when I owned a copy.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just played Driv3r on GBA.

 

It's a pretty ambitious attempt at an open world on the device. It's no Ngage but pretty impressive.

 

It at least shows Rockstar didn't need to result to overhead gameplay on GBA, although I like GTA1.

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been mostly leaving off licensed games so far, but now I felt like recommending some:

 

Game Boy:

 

Jurassic Park Part 2: The Chaos Continues:

 

 

Tiny Toon Adventures 2: Montana's Movie Madness:

 

 

Ghostbusters II:

 

 

Game Boy Color:

 

Matchbox Emergency Patrol:

 

 

Spider-Man 2: The Sinister Six:

 

 

Tom and Jerry in Mouse Attacks:

 

 

Game Boy Advance:

 

Shaman King: Master of Spirits 2:

 

 

The Lord of the Rings: The Third Age:

 

 

Disney's Kim Possible 3: Team Possible:

 

 

Edited by electricmastro
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...