IGNORED

The Official Game Boy Thread

Puyo Pop made it to the US, ok game if you're into cheap ai combat puzzling.

That Pop'n Twinbee game I own that on GB, totally worth having as it's a solid conversion of the SNES game to handheld and works nicely.  Wetrix is a surprising conversion of the console game.  Kuru Kuru Kururin and sequels are a solid puzzler from Nintendo, can get a bit infuriating as you really have to time it with that bar always spinning in tight spaces.

• Like 2

I guess it's OK to put this here ?

If not, please tell me where it would fit better.

After several Lynx games, I released yesterday my first Game Boy homebrew: Asteroids Chasers

This is a port from the Atari Lynx version. The core game is the same but there are some cosmetic changes of course (User Interface, colored background vs starfields, ...)

This is a tactical tile placing game, where you have to play all the tiles from your deck in order to win. It is based on a print& play game by Bran Mc Millin : Cheese Chasers, with some rules adjustment on Easy and Plus modes.

Asteroids Chasers Game Boy Gameplay - YouTube

The physical game is available at: Asteroids Chasers (yastuna-games.com)

The free ROM version is available at this adress: Asteroids Chasers (GB) by Fadest (itch.io)

• Thanks 2

Not the cleanest video of the game, but it is by the developer.  There are others, but you know how youtube is, some whiny talking head jagoff who wants his view coins has to put their mug on the screen and talk a bunch of repetitive mindless nonsense so you can't enjoy the audio experience of the actual game.

This is QWAK -- a homebrew of sorts, made by the Amiga original author, fantastic game, ROM can be found around, but in the day 300 were made and sold of this.  It's a nice action/puzzle of sorts (more action) trying to clear each screen and not die, kind of has a bubble bobble/snow bros/early 90s PC game vibe to it.

• Like 1

I've always wondered about that Metal Walker game, wanted it in the day with the little toy in the box but never got it.

I did though have Azure Dreams, 3D lacking aside, it's such a more refined and fun experience than the CD version on PSX.  I'd play that again if I had a wide amount of free time to knock off yet another RPG.  But I mean I think Revelations The Demon Slayer (aka: Shin Megami Tensei: Last Bible) should make that list -- I do have that one still and it's fantastic.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

I've always wondered about that Metal Walker game, wanted it in the day with the little toy in the box but never got it.

I did though have Azure Dreams, 3D lacking aside, it's such a more refined and fun experience than the CD version on PSX.  I'd play that again if I had a wide amount of free time to knock off yet another RPG.  But I mean I think Revelations The Demon Slayer (aka: Shin Megami Tensei: Last Bible) should make that list -- I do have that one still and it's fantastic.

Oh yeah, Revelations: The Demon Slayer as well. I suppose later players might get disappointed that it plays less like Persona and more like Pokemon, but I thought the game was done pretty well regardless.

Edited by electricmastro

Finished Scooby Doo Classic Creep Capers. It is an even shorter game than the Addams Family - it took me under three hours to finish despite two crashes due to bumping the cartridge that made me restart those chapters - and if not for the massive amount of backtracking it would be under an hour first try, I am sure. Six chapters may sound like a lot but some chapters are literally five minutes long. I only got slightly stuck twice because of two puzzles that didn’t quite make sense.

The production values in the first and last chapters are stellar, and there are few flaws in the game’s presentation. Three problems made it feel a little empty for me: 

1. Despite having the whole gang playable, each character says the same exact thing when looking at the same object (with a handful of exceptions). This caused one of the places I got stuck because I didn’t want to hear Fred say the same thing over again, and it didn’t seem like there was any reason for him to be able to do what Shaggy couldn’t. Oops.

2. There are few meaningful interactions between characters the whole game. When you have the gang talk to each other, they have nothing to says except literally “found any clues?” “Still looking” until the penultimate chapter of the game.

3. You can only interact with objects that are useful. Just letting the player click on and see some text about the pictures on the wall, etc would make the game feel more substantial.

I was also cheesed off by this interaction in the penultimate chapter:

71E5E642-2901-4EB9-8D36-A9C83E4D49B0.thumb.jpeg.b341f25c0209b03abb1c9dc7bfc0acaf.jpeg

02D734A1-5A72-41BB-8E5B-006FE9A109D1.thumb.jpeg.662345ccb8580df14672f728e5bd2e7d.jpeg

417F6BFD-2630-495D-AFDA-D30CCB20AD29.thumb.jpeg.8e0ddcaae1bdf636fde57c876ff2b76b.jpeg

6486F274-E683-43A8-9782-10858E23C191.thumb.jpeg.ab51de777e2c844f491e88d0f1729e9c.jpeg

49B6262C-36EB-4B99-ACF2-7384D2B87196.thumb.jpeg.b559622dcf86fe0cd01827a4c3c14847.jpeg

That kind of sums up the very easy puzzles and lack of cohesion of the game. (The clock thing is not something that makes sense at all, BTW.) Arguably it is true to form for a Hanna Barbera property but I was spoiled by the excellent Scooby Doo Mystery on Genesis.

I get the feeling that the team at Digital Eclipse (!!) was told to get this game ready to ship about a month before they were done with it. The fundamentals are all very well done but it’s missing the text color and grace notes that would make for a truly memorable adventure.

Still, it IS very good and worth playing as a real point and click adventure on the GBC. Hard to recommend buying it even though it’s relatively cheap, since it’s so short and not immediately replayable, but if you are into adventure games it might be worth it.

Even though the English translation of New Addams Family is terrible, and the dodging action sequences frustrating, that game felt a lot more substantial, even though the runtime wasn’t much longer and the number of puzzles to solve was probably smaller. So play them both if you like point and clicks, is what I’m saying. Possibly on an Everdrive.

• Like 2

I dunno, Lock n Chase and Mr Do are both nightmare fuel for me :)

It is certainly not obscure but when I think of Metroid I think of the Metroid II box art:

34CE9DEC-7233-4A5A-A0CC-584CF5D998F5.jpeg.5a069fbef7ea33a1244675945fcdb04f.jpeg

For me, it is the only Metroid cover art that really reflects the feeling of the game. I mean, fighting Kraid and Ridley is *A* feeling, but you don’t spend most of the game feeling like that.

• Like 2

Speaking of nightmare fuel, this cover for an awesome game that is not actually scary haunted me for years:

07DB7411-E8E3-4C28-8134-D028430FFECB.thumb.jpeg.b659b78f44e2483bcab3c3142caa4693.jpeg

(I believe that’s Jeremy Parish’s copy. I found that on Twitter. Hard to find a scan that looks accurate.)

And its excellent clone has a fun cover that I’ve always loved even if it is a bit of a mess from a design perspective:

0546A76D-CE86-4E16-9E1D-B81A5747F856.jpeg.58ec6c0511a319f5b668d760ecbe5331.jpeg

• Like 2