IGNORED

The Official Game Boy Thread

14 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

Since I have a few extra plastic cases for GBA games, I just bought Rebelstar and I'm bidding on a CIB Scurge: Hive.

So I hope they're really gems this time, not "obscure games" for a good reason. ?

I tend to labels gems if I feel like they are, but otherwise just feel like posting about obscure games where it's relevant too, since I tend to delve into the lesser-known and weird like that. lol

Edited by electricmastro
  • Like 2

On 5/10/2022 at 4:06 PM, roots.genoa said:

Since I have a few extra plastic cases for GBA games, I just bought Rebelstar and I'm bidding on a CIB Scurge: Hive.

So I hope they're really gems this time, not "obscure games" for a good reason. ?

I really liked Scurge: Hive but the late game (maybe it’s just the final boss) gets pretty brutal and I got stuck. (EDIT: having reviewed longplay videos it was the final boss.) It is a fairly shameless Metroid ripoff story-wise but it has really nice art and interesting mechanics. If you have a DS the DS version is marginally better due to a bigger viewport and the always useful map on the touchscreen.

Rebelstar is essentially an X Com RPG, and indeed was developed by the same guy who created Rebelstar on the ZX Spectrum and much later X Com. If you like X Com’s battles but prefer more RPG than resource development sim, it’s excellent despite a few rough edges. It can chug in later missions but turning the music off (!!) helps.

I hope you like them both as they are some of my favorites on the GBA and IMO truly deserving of the title “hidden gems.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@roots.genoa

No offense meant to @electricmastro, but it's maybe not a good idea to be making purchases based on forum posts containing lists of titles and/or screenshots without any commentary whatsoever!

Personally, I would definitely be trying these games out in emulation first before spending $$$ on a game you might end up hating... :)

1 hour ago, newtmonkey said:

@roots.genoa

No offense meant to @electricmastro, but it's maybe not a good idea to be making purchases based on forum posts containing lists of titles and/or screenshots without any commentary whatsoever!

Personally, I would definitely be trying these games out in emulation first before spending $$$ on a game you might end up hating... :)

I admit I could add more descriptions, but too be honest I'm not that good at those (and also rather lazy). I just figured people who'd be curious enough to buy games would just ask about them though, whether me or anyone else.

Apologies to anyone who bought less than stellar games because of my weird interest in pointing out weird obscurities half the time. lol

Edited by electricmastro
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, newtmonkey said:

@roots.genoa

That's OK, I actually searched (a little) about Scurge Hive and I already knew I would like Rebelstar since I love tactics games and enjoyed most Julian Gollop's games (he's an honorary member of my association thanks to me ?). I was just teasing mastro a little more. ?

I'm also a curious person and I prefer to discover new games rather than play the same classics everyone knows already. So when mastro listed Mary Shelley's Frankenstein in the obscure games thread, I assumed it was some kind of hidden gem. I had NEVER heard of it (or forgot about it), and since I have some kind of fascination for movie based video games (partly because they're never rereleased) and for this movie in particular (I don't love it but I love the book and Frank Darabont's screenplay is almost perfect imho - Branagh's direction not so much ?), I thought: why not try to find it if it's cheap?

And I found it for an OK price, even though the shipping and taxes were not that cheap. ? I just didn't expect, as I'm going to get it probably tomorrow, seeing it mentioned again by mastro but this time in a topic about worst video games ever. ? That being said, the first ever game I created with Klik & Play was inspired by the terrible Bram Stoker's Dracula game (that I've never played, though), so I'm quite open minded.

Once again it's OK. I'll just send mastro the bill in PM. ?

• Haha 3

54 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

I'm also a curious person and I prefer to discover new games rather than play the same classics everyone knows already. So when mastro listed Mary Shelley's Frankenstein in the obscure games thread, I assumed it was some kind of hidden gem. I had NEVER heard of it (or forgot about it), and since I have some kind of fascination for movie based video games (partly because they're never rereleased) and for this movie in particular (I don't love it but I love the book and Frank Darabont's screenplay is almost perfect imho - Branagh's direction not so much ?), I thought: why not try to find it if it's cheap?

I mean, at that point, maybe I should wonder why you also didn't talk about buying games like Normy's Beach Babe-O-Rama, since it was part of the same obscurity list.

P.S., I don't recommend anyone buy this weirdo game. lol

m58iFiI.png

Edited by electricmastro
  • Haha 2

It would be even more hilarious if you were the seller, now that I think about it. I just got it and the inside of the box suffered a bit, since it's a rental version (someone forgot to return it I guess, or more likely it's from a renting company that closed) and the cart is not held properly inside this non standard box. The cover looks bad in a funny way, like it was printed but a fake one would look better, so that must be authentic. ?

It also confirms my theory Sony tried to kill SEGA even before the PlayStation by releasing crappy games like Dracula and this. ?

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

I just got it and the inside of the box suffered a bit, since it's a rental version (someone forgot to return it I guess, or more likely it's from a renting company that closed)

It was only given an extremely limited retail release and spent part of its life as a rental exclusive, so at least half the copies out there seem to be the “Rental Exclusive” cover :)

(It is not a *great* game but it’s very interesting and pretty fun - most people hate it because they play it without realizing it’s an adventure game.)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Rebelstar is essentially an X Com RPG, and indeed was developed by the same guy who created Rebelstar on the ZX Spectrum and much later X Com. If you like X Com’s battles but prefer more RPG than resource development sim, it’s excellent despite a few rough edges. It can chug in later missions but turning the music off (!!) helps.

I hope you like them both as they are some of my favorites on the GBA and IMO truly deserving of the title “hidden gems.”

Yeah, Rebelstar is pretty much XCOM on GBA. In-depth and well-structured too:

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Julian Gollop also made a Ghost Recon game which is 3DS' best launch game imho. When you'll create the 3DS obscure games thread, that's probably the first game I'll mention on it.

I have been thinking about that game a lot lately. Probably the best Tom Clancy game in general, a true hidden gem (though it did sell lots of copies!).

• Like 2

Amazing Tater is actually the sequel to Kwirk (aka Puzzle Boy, though Kwirk changed the main character to a Tomato). At least Kwirk is much easier to find. I think Spud's Adventure is actually a spin-off of the puzzle boy series. SMT3 Nocturne has a mini game based off Puzzle Boy.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, BrianC said:

Amazing Tater is actually the sequel to Kwirk (aka Puzzle Boy, though Kwirk changed the main character to a Tomato). At least Kwirk is much easier to find. I think Spud's Adventure is actually a spin-off of the puzzle boy series. SMT3 Nocturne has a mini game based off Puzzle Boy.  

Yeah, Atlus seemed to have a modest hit early on in the Game Boy's life, but the inconsistent branding was prob what got in the way of more success in the end.

B9X2aM7.jpg

IGUygrz.jpg

vS18yTJ.jpg

• Like 2