IGNORED

The Official Game Boy Thread

I am older and never played the GameBoy handhelds in their day... I was more of a PC person early on, then later obtained most mainstream consoles and most handhelds.

Here is an older picture. I may try to get a more recent one later. I prefer the yellow of course. :D

th_12-07-2011GameRoomCurrent10.jpg

Although this isn't the thread for Flashback and related retro consoles, my choice of cabinet to build for the Flashbacks was a GameBoy Color. :D I just took an older 16:9 TV I had, Rack mount power switches, a 16 port video switch, a few hours on paper and Sketchup and a few nights a week for a month and this was the result.

th_IMG_20160718_200907_zpsoexbla7j.jpg

th_IMG_20160716_143453_zpst1lwfmly.jpgth_IMG_20160718_201213_zpsxscoyxbm.jpg

I have a GameBoy Player on a GameCube nearby, and a wireless controller. This lets me play all my GameBoy, GameBoy Color, and GameBoy Advance games on a screen large enough for my aging eyes, and with a standard controller.

th_IMG_20160716_202519_zpsgcbby8hw.jpg

When I get a chance to update the pictures of my games and systems, I will post those and share my experiences with different games. :D

MrBlackCat

• Like 4

One of my favorite things about gbc and gba was the usually nice color palate it had for dmg games. And if you didn't like it or just wanted a more old school look you could hold left and b on startup and it would load with a pure monochrome grayscale. If you held right and b it would load reverse grayscale. Perfect for games like Solar striker Space invaders and Qix (may have the l and r reversed as I moved recently and don't currently have access to the unit)

Holding any direction and a or b on boot would net a variety of color palates with varying degrees of "cool" to "eww" lol

Edited by Video
  • Like 1

There's a question that's been on my mind a lot lately: How do you guys & gals store your loose Game Boy Advance games? I've been trying to track down a compartmented storage box with 2.5" wide divided compartments to keep all my GBA carts lined up in neat alphabetized rows, but I've yet to find any that would be the right size for the job. I'm discovering that GBA carts are kind of a nightmare to try to keep in orderly rows without dividers (especially when you have a lot of them) or spending a small fortune on plastic cases for each game so I'm wondering how you folks store your GBA carts and if anyone might have any suggestions for a particular storage box that works well.

Edited by Jin

There's a question that's been on my mind a lot lately: How do you guys & gals store your loose Game Boy Advance games? I've been trying to track down a compartmented storage box with 2.5" wide divided compartments to keep all my GBA carts lined up in neat alphabetized rows, but I've yet to find any that would be the right size for the job. I'm discovering that GBA carts are kind of a nightmare to try to keep in orderly rows without dividers (especially when you have a lot of them) or spending a small fortune on plastic cases for each game so I'm wondering how you folks store your GBA carts and if anyone might have any suggestions for a particular storage box that works well.

I seldom take my games anywhere, so mobile cases aren't something I have considered, so I just made shallow drawers like these and lined them with automotive trunk carpet... and I can see them all at once. I realize you are likely wanting something a bit more compartmentalized, but here is how I chose to do my loose cartridges.

Sorry for the unclear image, didn't notice on my phone screen, but you can still see.

th_IMG_20160821_163806_zpsgbqupcri.jpg

th_IMG_20160821_163911_zpsr3sodgtv.jpg

MrBlackCat

Edited by MrBlackCat

I seldom take my games anywhere, so mobile cases aren't something I have considered, so I just made shallow drawers like these and lined them with automotive trunk carpet... and I can see them all at once.

Great looking game drawer, and very nice Doom collection! Doom and Doom II are definitely essential games for any GBA library. :)

I watched this video last month and think it answers your question well.

Those nail polish display stands are really nice solutions for people with small collections or a lot of space. Unfortunately for me though I live in a small apartment and am looking for a storage solution that will let me keep around 200 or so GBA games in neat alphabetized order. I had thought about using a binder with card sleeves, but then I realized just how annoying it would be trying to move every game down one slot each time I added a new game to the collection; so that option is out.

I do like this guy's solution a lot, I'm just shuddering over how much money I'd have to spend on bulk orders of plastic GBA game cases to make it work:

https://youtu.be/TeVB8xn1Y-8

Edited by Jin

Great looking game drawer, and very nice Doom collection! Doom and Doom II are definitely essential games for any GBA library. :)

<snip>

Thanks. :) I have several GBA SP's and we play DooM, DooM II, and Duke Nukem multiplayer (4 player) every once in a while. Even with the tiny screens, we have a lot of fun. :D

200 games is a lot to flat display. I will show you another compact way to organize/display them I am almost finished with, when I get a chance to take pictures. Will be a few days as I got to go to work, but I will be back.

MrBlackCat

• Like 1

Maybe stack up about 6 of these in a corner somewhere?

I use hobby boxes like ones for storing assorted beads in. Most will have movable deviders so you can customize it a bit. The individual boxes I keel in a large generic toolbox along with the handy upper tray to hold my extra gameboys and accessories.

The dooms and duke nukem games are indeed well worth owning. I also like ecks vs sever. There's another one like doom I cant recall off the top of my head. Backtracked was fun if you can tat over the draw distance.

<snip>

The dooms and duke nukem games are indeed well worth owning. I also like ecks vs sever. There's another one like doom I cant recall off the top of my head. Backtracked was fun if you can tat over the draw distance.

I like Ecks vs Sever also... as far as 3D games, DooM, Duke Nukem, E vs S, all look pretty good. Starsky and Hutch, Driver 3 (Driv3r), Ice Nine, Medal of Honor, and couple of race games I can't remember right now, were all amazing for 3D on the GameBoy Advance. There are probably plenty of others I don't own that are on par with these examples though. :)

MrBlackCat

Edited by MrBlackCat

I've got an original brick and a GBA, but unfortunately, I find it difficult to play for more than 5 minutes with my big adult hands.

I've always really enjoyed the puzzle games on the Game Boy. My favorite these days is Quarth--so addictive.

I too have fairly large hands and this is an issue for myself as well, but I am used to it for the more part... but my eyes are becoming more a problem now, so I use my GameBoy Player for the GameCube a lot now. Solves both problems for me. :)

As far as game types, I agree that 3D Games aren't ideal for the GBA. I will play most anything on the GBA, but I still lean towards 3D... I love the Lego 3D Isometric view games on GBA. I also like Terminator 3 and I have played all of the Tony Hawk games for GBA. :)

MrBlackCat

Although I own a SNES, Genesis, Turbografx-16, Atari 800, and Nintendo 64, I would give them all up for the gameboy series of portables. Between the classic game boy games, the color, and the GBA carts, you get a great cross section of gaming from 1989-2008. I currently own 4 GBA advances. I particularly love the artwork on the cartridges of the classic gameboy games. Nemesis is one of my all time favorite games for the gameboy.

Edited by airsoftmodels

I just wish the GameCube controller wasn't so poorly-shaped for Gameboy games.

Oh! I only use standard shaped GameCube controllers for it because I prefer wireless. If you don't mind corded controllers, and money isn't a concern, Hori made a classic style game pad for the GameCube you can still get hold of. :D

Like this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Free-Track-ship-HORI-GC-Digital-Controller-black-GameCube-pad-3-/191950449565

MrBlackCat

Oh, I've looked at the Hori pad. But for $125+, I could get 15 Gameboy games, or ten pizzas, or 50 Coleco Chameleon shells.

RetroUSB sells SNES->cube adapters, that's the way I plan to go next time I'm spending money.

That's a great alternative to the absurdly expensive Hori pad, but sadly it looks like Retro USB have discontinued their line of GameCube adapters. Fortunately you can still get this SNES to GameCube adapter from Raphnet Technologies. Personally I'm holding out for a Wii Classic Controller to GameCube adapter, since over the past year or so the Wii Classic Controller has become my favorite home console controller. To me it feels a lot like a SNES game pad, but with better ergonomics, a more comfortable and precise D-Pad, and the nifty addition of two unobtrusive analog sticks for games that make use of analog control. I really adore the Classic Controller, and Raphnet did say that they plan on making a Classic Controller to GameCube adapter at some point this fall or winter so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

On a side note, since the completion of my 350+ Game Boy & Game Boy Color Games Worth Playing list on the previous page I've been working hard every day on finishing my equally long running list project for the Game Boy Advance, and I'm happy to say that I'm almost done! It's been years in the making but I'm hoping to have the GBA list done and posted by next week. The project has been mainly to focus my personal collecting goals, but if it might be something useful to new GBA collectors and Everdrive owners then I'll be happy to have shared it. :)

• Like 1