IGNORED

Last time you found a sealed 2600 cart in the wild?

7800fan

For me it's today!

q7Udug8.jpg

3p7MSpU.jpg

Box is crushed on the bottom but it's still sealed. Going with the copyright notice, I am guessing this is a black label with picture, which would make it 34 years old. I wonder if the original factory air inside smells better than air today?

PS anyone noticed the "drunk" Ghost in the TV shot picture?

http://i.imgur.com/OI1QVuL.jpg

Something's up with that "sealed" Pac-Man box you found... if it was to be included with the 2600, why is there a hang tag on it? Were these on display in the store and the clerk simply grabbed 'em when a system sold? Also, didn't think Atari branded games of that era were shrinkwrapped...

Just wouldnt think you would want to devote retail real estate to what is essentially a freebie. I would think they would have wanted to keep them stacked next to the systems, kept in the backroom or under a counter, but who knows. I don't remember seeing or paying attention to the 2600 Pac-Man promo back then. Seam on the back looks legit (as in original factory), but...

BTW: The promo Pac-Man box I have, has its silver Atari label and "not for resale" sticker on the box itself. Can't tell if yours are on the shrink or the box.

A few years ago when I was repairing a pinball machine at a customers home, saw he had some new 2600 games sitting on a table in his basement. Oddly enough, the (middle aged) guy had some rare titles in the mix. Can't remember all of them now, but one was London Blitz and another AH game. Seemed to know they were worth *something* and wasn't real keen on letting them go IIRC. Kooky stuff!

Something's up with that "sealed" Pac-Man box you found... if it was to be included with the 2600, why is there a hang tag on it? Were these on display in the store and the clerk simply grabbed 'em when a system sold? Also, didn't think Atari branded games of that era were shrinkwrapped...

Just wouldnt think you would want to devote retail real estate to what is essentially a freebie. I would think they would have wanted to keep them stacked next to the systems, kept in the backroom or under a counter, but who knows. I don't remember seeing or paying attention to the 2600 Pac-Man promo back then. Seam on the back looks legit (as in original factory), but...

BTW: The promo Pac-Man box I have, has its silver Atari label and "not for resale" sticker on the box itself. Can't tell if yours are on the shrink or the box.

The tag is a bit odd. Maybe it was stored separately such as at stores who were told to start giving free Pac Man with all 2600 systems that didn't have one included, or it could have been existing stock Atari grabbed to put in with the system. The silver sticker is directly on the box and the red sticker is on outside of the wrap. The outside sticker suggest last minute change from Atari I believe.

Nice find. Congrats. I don't collect sealed but Atari games are cheap enough sometimes I'll buy one and bust it open because no loose or CIB were available at the time. Atari was notorious for overproducing stock which is why warehouses were often full of overstock. I popped a mint sealed Lynx Pinball Jam just the other day. No video, sorry.

Here's a haul of 7800 titles I unboxed last year.

WARNING: If you collect sealed games, it may be a bit cringeworthy to watch:

That pacman needs to remain sealed. No joy inside of that box... :P

If you look at versions 4 and 5 of the Pac-Mans in my link, I personally owned the shrinkwrapped version 4 and the stickers are on the shrinkwrap. Version 5 the title is blue and the stickers are on the box. That was/is in my possession. I just came across another version I need to scan and upload, which I will probably name as version 5. It is identical to version 5 except it is a glued flap, not a tab one. The glued version is dated 4/82 whereas the tab version is 8/83.

http://www.videogamevariations.com/AtariCompanies/AtariGames/Pacman/pacman_boxes.htm

Phil

• Like 1

13 years ago I bought out the remaining 2600 and 7800 Atari games from As Seen On TV.

Nothing rare, just common red boxes and silver boxes, but they were all shrinkwrapped.

I believe I have the box of games somewhere :dunce: :ponder: I just have to look for it.

13 years ago I bought out the remaining 2600 and 7800 Atari games from As Seen On TV.

Nothing rare, just common red boxes and silver boxes, but they were all shrinkwrapped.

I believe I have the box of games somewhere :dunce: :ponder: I just have to look for it.

So your business name called O'Shea by any chance? :grin: Might explain how they were able to sell so much for so cheap back before eBay became popular.

If you look at versions 4 and 5 of the Pac-Mans in my link, I personally owned the shrinkwrapped version 4 and the stickers are on the shrinkwrap. Version 5 the title is blue and the stickers are on the box. That was/is in my possession. I just came across another version I need to scan and upload, which I will probably name as version 5. It is identical to version 5 except it is a glued flap, not a tab one. The glued version is dated 4/82 whereas the tab version is 8/83.

http://www.videogamevariations.com/AtariCompanies/AtariGames/Pacman/pacman_boxes.htm

Phil

Nice! I noticed there were 2 different artwork for the cover. One version had a plain yellow Pac Man that looked flat like an arcade version, and other had 3D looking Pac Man

Edited by 7800fan