IGNORED

Popeye Arcade

Aking

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Completely by coincidence that I am posting this on the day of getting a response. I had not heard anything back in this forum, but I had also posted the question of helping with graphics in the A8 conversion thread. Playsoft messaged me, and we have been collaborating on this since Sept 23rd. Once we started updating the playfield graphics, the A8 version broke, but this will eventually get fixed. I hope everybody enjoys the latest changes.

PopeyeArcade_v4.bin

The following version updates:

1. I have redrawn graphics throughout the game. (Popeye, Brutus, Sea Hag, Olive, Wimpy, Sweet Pea, bottles, spinach, water, bucket punching bag, House text, ship platform, ship top rope, ship ladder, and the font)
  2. Animation removed the double-width players for punch frame & incorporates Playsoft's custom collision detection.
  3. Playsoft animated the water on levels two and three
  4. Playsoft added "Toot, toot!" to the giant Popeye head and added the head after clearing the ship screen.

post-13491-0-71644600-1445293729_thumb.pngpost-13491-0-10723900-1445293734_thumb.pngpost-13491-0-21963700-1445293739_thumb.pngpost-13491-0-07340200-1445293744_thumb.pngpost-13491-0-11674500-1445293749_thumb.png

• Like 8

I think the NES version is decent enough to post. I know this isn't the NES forums, but I wanted to share here, since Atari is my first love. :)

AGAIN: This is the NES update.

PopeyeArcade(DEG).zip

Just for fun.... Atari 2600 hack....

attachicon.gifPOPEYE(UpdateBU)_2.pngattachicon.gifPOPEYE(UpdateBU).pngattachicon.gifPOPEYE(UpdateBU)_1.png

Anybody know a good place to post the NES hack? I had a lot of fun with the A8 version, and always thought the NES could do better too.

attachicon.gifPopeyeArcade_(DEG).png

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Popeye Arcade Beta for 5200

Playsoft has translated the 8-bit Popeye Arcade hack to the 5200.

I just got my 5200 AtariMax, and the colors are off from what I see in Altirra.

I need some help from people with AtariMax carts.

I am wondering if my 5200 color needs adjusted (most games have accurate colors), or if the 5200s were tweaked differently than the 8-bit palette.

Let me know what color your staircase is on a REAL 5200 machine: PopeyeArcade5200_X(OriginalColor).bin

And in this version: PopeyeArcade5200_X(TweakColor).bin

Thanks!

I wonder if having a 256 colour chart displayed on screen - will allow 5200 users to adjust their monitor/TV and/or 5200 to get the best colour possible on their setup? Or see where the colours differ from the expected?

Also what will be handy too, is to display a plain grid across the whole screen, in another test - so as to allow correct centering etc to check the alignment - much like the test you would do on your eyes to see if you suffer from distortion problems with your eyes.

If there isn't such a program already for the 5200 - maybe Playsoft can put one together? Maybe also a colour blindness test too, so as to confirm what colours you are not seeing, if you suffer from this. Such a colour chart can easily be found - though someone with normal sight has to check that it is correct. Next would be a sound test, a Pokey stereo test... a CTIA/GTIA test...

This would be handy for A8 users too, I'd guess.

Harvey

I wonder if having a 256 colour chart displayed on screen - will allow 5200 users to adjust their monitor/TV and/or 5200 to get the best colour possible on their setup? Or see where the colours differ from the expected?

Also what will be handy too, is to display a plain grid across the whole screen, in another test - so as to allow correct centering etc to check the alignment - much like the test you would do on your eyes to see if you suffer from distortion problems with your eyes.

If there isn't such a program already for the 5200 - maybe Playsoft can put one together? Maybe also a colour blindness test too, so as to confirm what colours you are not seeing, if you suffer from this. Such a colour chart can easily be found - though someone with normal sight has to check that it is correct. Next would be a sound test, a Pokey stereo test... a CTIA/GTIA test...

This would be handy for A8 users too, I'd guess.

Harvey

I am not sure until I get my SIO2PC set up, which just requires me having time; but I am wondering if the 5200s are calibrated differently than the A8. The color of the steps were more green than yellow. I have set a corrected color for the final 5200 release. I am also sanding off a couple minor rough edges. Should get it out as soon as I have a break.. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Popeye Arcade Release Candidate 1

Please let me know how this looks on real 5200 hardware. I have tried this on my AtariMax 5200, and it seems to be pretty in-line with the color scheme.

I had some problems on real hardware. Using the colors that looked fine in Altirra and on my A8, the 5200 had green stairs and Brutus's beard was green.

This is an attempt to fix the colors, based on my actual 5200 hardware.

The colors may seem washed out in my picture. It was dark, with a black light on in the background.

post-13491-0-14621600-1454177487_thumb.png

PopeyeArcade(5200Color).bin

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Now that is one spooky cat! :D

That is my special boy Simon. He was acting very cute by sticking his head through the railing in the balcony so I thought that I would snap a cute photo to show the wife. Needless to say the image I captured wasn't quite what I expected but it did provide me with an avatar for the ages. Here is a pic of Simon sans demonic possession:

post-42627-0-94238400-1467484182_thumb.jpg

Edited by LaserCat

• 11 months later...