IGNORED

Question about adapter for '80's crt tv

So I went to my mom's house and found the first tv I ever had as a kid. It's a GE from the early '80's and I was given it along with a Sega Master System in 1990. It's so old that it uses some sort of adapter so you can hook up an rf switch to it. I was happy to find it. I hooked up my Nes to it and the screen is still nice but the screen sometimes jumps a little bit if you know what I mean. I believe this is because that adapter is old and I need a new one. I figured you guys would know more about this than me. Could anyone tell me what this adapter is called and if it is possible to purchase a new one on Amazon/ Ebay? Thanks

I still have those laying around. I also have a more complicated version that has separate UHF, VHF, and FM out. It works great for getting antenna to the receiver in the entertainment center. Bet many of the youngins around here don't even know about the separation of UHF and VHF. Anybody else remember the VHF knob with stops for each specific channel along with the UHF knob with no specific stops? turn...turn..turn..turn.....too far! lol.

How was that even working? Your know thingie I mean? Saw it on video, never got it really... It seems most of your TV had two knobs?

The VHF/UHF thing? First, not all TVs had two knobs (although for the 1980s you'd probably be hard pressed to find any set with analog tuning that didn't). The ones that didn't had only the VHF knob and got channels 2-13 (it was usually a knob with a detent for each channel and separate fine-tuning capability, although there were some continuous tuner models out there). The ones with two knobs got VHF on one knob and UHF on the other. UHF was channels 14 through 83 originally, then later 14 through 69 up until the digital transition. Too many channels for a knob with detents there, so UHF knobs were practically all continuous tuners. How did you switch between the two? You'd simply select the position marked 'UHF' on the VHF knob, usually occupying the space between channel 13 and channel 2.

Edited by jmetal88

"Radio tuning" TV style was almost only for cheap, transportable sets here and I never saw any with a "channel lock". Standard size sets (36, 43 and 55 cm) (that's 19" and more if I'm right) had those mini tuners that you'll set manually for each wanted programme (in various fashions), and selectable with a keyboard consisting of 4 to 8 keys (depending on the era). Depending on the country, and era as well, VHF bands would be preset on some keys/tuners and UHF on others. Or least it was going this way in France, and probably England, as we were the only two countries in Europe to have a different TV system on VHF (historical 405 lignes for England, "High Definition" 819 lines in France)

TV_zpstxdqxlvq.jpg ( late 60's )*

There was a need for those kind of selectors since in Europe, TV channels were (up to the 70's in most places) a State monopoly; therefore, instead of a network of radio-stations like Tv channels, there were between 2 and 4 "national channels" that would be the same for everybody, except in some place for local news, or some countries like Germany would have a "local" channel for each Lander (if I'm right).

And as all those channels would be on UHF for France and England, it was easier to "pre-tune" them, knowing that anyway, tuning on another emitter would provide you the same programme.

Edited by CatPix

I had an old top loading VCR with the setup you describe with the multiple small tuning knobs which correspond to each of several preset buttons. I don't recall ever seeing it on a TV though.

Great description on the dual knob setup btw. That was a perfect explanation.

I gotta say this one is made with a search for refinement, but even cheaper sets would have something akin.

and you may not guess it, but like most of the TV of the era, this was hidden behing a door that was on the side of the screen and acted also as a speaker grille.

I guess we coudl derail the thread on TVs since the thread creator got his answer, there would be no harm done. Because European TV were absolutely different from US sets, except maybe the ones made in the 50's.

Like, the massive furniture like US style TV that sat on the floor? So far, never saw the likes of it here. All our TV were "table sets".

Some TV came on furniture like setting, with table feet, but in a 60's style furniture, nothing "fancy and classic"

Edited by CatPix