IGNORED

Duck Hunt or Gyromite w/converter - which gets chopped in half?

I've got both a Duck Hunt and Gyromite with the "secret hidden Famicom-to-NES converters". I've somewhat accidentally built up a small collection of Famicom carts, and need a converter to play 'em on.

So one of my converter carts is going to get the chop. Which one?

Famicom games in their plastic carts won't quite fit on the adapter, so it will need some modding. I'll be shaping down some of the plastic on the converter, and slicing the cart itself in half to use as a housing for the adapter board. (much like one person did about halfway down this page: http://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php?topic=923.0 )

But which one do I chop?

Is the Duck Hunt with converter any rarer than the Gyromite? Or maybe the other way around? I figure it doesn't matter much. But I also figured it would be worth asking some experts before I put a saw to a somewhat-uncommon artifact.

I've got both a Duck Hunt and Gyromite with the "secret hidden Famicom-to-NES converters". I've somewhat accidentally built up a small collection of Famicom carts, and need a converter to play 'em on.

So one of my converter carts is going to get the chop. Which one?

Famicom games in their plastic carts won't quite fit on the adapter, so it will need some modding. I'll be shaping down some of the plastic on the converter, and slicing the cart itself in half to use as a housing for the adapter board. (much like one person did about halfway down this page: http://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php?topic=923.0 )

But which one do I chop?

Is the Duck Hunt with converter any rarer than the Gyromite? Or maybe the other way around? I figure it doesn't matter much. But I also figured it would be worth asking some experts before I put a saw to a somewhat-uncommon artifact.

Why not buy a converter instead of sacrificing either one of them to chop up?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Famicom-to-Nintendo-NES-60-72-Pins-Converter-Adapter-/271911583679?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f4f317fbf

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224

Why not buy a converter instead of sacrificing either one of them to chop up?

Well, I bought 'em because they had adapters inside (they weren't accidental finds), and while I didn't pay less than $10 or anything, they were both significantly cheaper than the adapter you linked to (which does look pretty nice). I figure since I already have 'em, I only need to keep ONE of them fully stock, rather than buying something else. My inclination, as suggested above, is to modify the Gyromite one. It seems as though if I regret it or anything (though I don't know why I would), Gyromite might be just slightly easier to find than another adapter-enhanced Duck Hunt. Though instead of chopping up the case, I'll probably use an old copy of Al Unser Turbo Racing I have.

Well, I bought 'em because they had adapters inside (they weren't accidental finds), and while I didn't pay less than $10 or anything, they were both significantly cheaper than the adapter you linked to (which does look pretty nice). I figure since I already have 'em, I only need to keep ONE of them fully stock, rather than buying something else. My inclination, as suggested above, is to modify the Gyromite one. It seems as though if I regret it or anything (though I don't know why I would), Gyromite might be just slightly easier to find than another adapter-enhanced Duck Hunt. Though instead of chopping up the case, I'll probably use an old copy of Al Unser Turbo Racing I have.

Understood. :)

Its just for me that sacrificing is frowned upon because I (like many others) disapprove this method due to the past years of the members in the Neo-Geo community dismantle official SNK MVS/AES carts to make counterfeit titles. Soon after, it bumps them into different quantity brackets and drives up the prices on them. Of course the NES is a different story in regards of large manufacturing numbers. But after awhile it gets frustrating to read posting like this for me.

But its your property and you can do what you wish. Let us know how its turns out if you want to go that route :)

Anthony...

• Like 1