IGNORED

Season 4 - The New HSC - Week 24 = Astroblast

S.BAZ

Although I love Astroblast, its glitch is very annoying. icon_angry.gif

I was going fine until the 300k mark, then I died and started to earn an extra life for every meteor I fired.

attachicon.gif2015-07-01_23-57-01_964.jpg

Some minutes later and I finally lost all lives to show my score.

attachicon.gif2015-07-02_00-16-52_988.jpg

Are you playing on Right Difficulty A? That's a tremendous score.

• Like 1

Are you playing on Right Difficulty A? That's a tremendous score.

Yep, setted as A/A. And this was my first try! icon_biggrinwink.gif

Although I had the Atari VCS in the 80s, I never saw any paddle game since I played Astroblast here in 2012 when I joined the HSC.

Since 2012 I've got a Atari 7800, paddles and the driving controller (can't wait to play Indy). These 'new' controllers brought some fresh air to my old loved Atari!

Astroblast became my favourite paddle game.

It's a pitty I hadn't time for kaboom. I never got over 4k, it would be a good challenge.

Edited by LidLikesIntellivision
  • Like 2

Although I love Astroblast, its glitch is very annoying. icon_angry.gif

I was going fine until the 300k mark, then I died and started to earn an extra life for every meteor I fired.

attachicon.gif2015-07-01_23-57-01_964.jpg

Some minutes later and I finally lost all lives to show my score.

attachicon.gif2015-07-02_00-16-52_988.jpg

Good to see you back, Liduario!

• Like 2

Dearest 2600 HSCLUBers,

I would like to invite all the participants to join in the 2600 thread dedicated to Activision.

The topic is called "Activision Patches, difficulty & 2015 Summer Quest".

In this topic, give your feedback by answering the following question: "Which do you think are the easiest patches to earn? And which are the hardest?"

And post your scores on Activision games - playing on real Atari 2600 and compatible consoles is preferred, but Stella Emulator is allowed (only use the features which are available on real console and television; NTSC Color Format is highly recommended).

URL: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/239177-activision-patches-difficulty-2015-summer-quest/

Edited by oyamafamily

Got to 100k again, and the damn game glitched out :mad: :_(

so, is there no way not to make that happen?

also it sounds like it happened to Lid when he died around 300k, so it doesn't even have to fall back below 100,000.

i don't know but it's sounding to me like it's just part of the game. What do you think? did this happen when you got your 400k score in the Knockout round?

if it happens the same to everyone every time, maybe it's not a problem & we could just call it a grind to the finish for that million.

so, is there no way not to make that happen?

If you manage to make it past a 100k mark (or 200k or 300k, etc) without dipping back below that score, then you can continue without the glitch kicking in.

The problem with allowing the glitch is that anybody who can make it to 100,000 can then also get to 1 million fairly easily by exploiting the glitch. Of course, it would still require a time investment....

• Like 1

What makes this glitch so tricky, it seems, is that since it happens at every 100K mark, and since your score constantly rises and dips,

then it is very hard to distinguish between accidentally triggering the glitch and purposefully exploiting the glitch.

Even if you were paying attention, and trying not let your score dip, it might not be possible to avoid getting a handful of extra lives each time you eclipsed a 100K mark.

It's definitely a tough call.

Edited by MoomUnit

Astroblast: 33,750

I think that's it for me this week. I'm just not enjoying Astroblast at all.

The "two steps forward, three steps back" scoring is just too frustrating.

Also, I personally don't like games that give (and take) a thousand lives to (from) you.

Losing/Earning a life should mean something.

post-41961-0-73905300-1435970594_thumb.jpg

Edited by MoomUnit
  • Like 1

I don't know if it helps but I avoid shooting the big rocks except the slowest ones.

I like to shoot the small rocks but I'm not too obsessed with them. So, I'm more focused into surviving and my points go up slowly.

I'm much more aggressive when playing Game B before 50k mark. For Game A or after 50k in Game B, the best is to be defensive, keeping in the center and focusing in the path between asteroids to reach edge of screen when you have to shoot a spinning bomb.

If you want to score faster, shoot the small rocks just a little bit more.

Curiosity: Astroblast comes from the intellivision Astrosmash where you don't have paddles but you can use hyperspace.

PacmanPlus made the Meteor Shower for the Atari 7800 which is a great homebrew based upon the original Astrosmash.

• Like 2

Guess I don't have to worry about encountering the glitch. Thought I had this one but by the time I opened the box in the attic it turned out it was just another copy frogs and flies.

So I blame the touchpad on my dell for this score. The dell also doesn't see fit to connect to the internet at the moment so I'm going on faith and updating by phone. I realize this phenomenal 3-digit score will need verification eventually ...

• Like 1