IGNORED

XB 2.7 suite or ubergrom and Speech synthesizer talking during startup.

globeron

Just got triggered by Vector Roli video. See other thread about Speech.

Based on the inventor of the PEB box built-in speech card version where it starts to talk when turning on the computer.

Would it be possible with XB2.7 when you turn on the computer that it starts talking automatically #Texas Instruments Home Computer#

Or something configurable? With different sentences.

Or is it going to drive people crazy? Maybe an on/off option?

Just got triggered by Vector Roli video. See other thread about Speech.

Based on the inventor of the PEB box built-in speech card version where it starts to talk when turning on the computer.

Would it be possible with XB2.7 when you turn on the computer that it starts talking automatically #Texas Instruments Home Computer#

Or something configurable? With different sentences.

Or is it going to drive people crazy? Maybe an on/off option?

Yes it's possible. Yes it would drive people crazy.

Before we get extravagant with options, post the assembly code that speaks what you want it to, I'll see if I can squeeze it in a cart.

Gazoo

• Like 1

Ksarul mentioned that the SNUG SPVMC has it built-in speech during start-up of the TI:

http://home.arcor.de/system-ninety-nine-user-group/spvmc/index_e.htm

* There is software on this website (but I think only the roms by SNUG group?), not too

sure if this is the assembly code.

but it looks like a different card, the one I saw was one where you put the

Speech Synthesizer board on top of it (I will try to find the pictures):

Something like this:

* http://www.mainbyte.com/ti99/speech_peb/speech_peb.html

* http://www.unige.ch/medecine/nouspikel/ti99/speech.htm#in%20PEbox

(I need to do a bit research on this, but from the Extended Basic module, normally you can do

CALL SAY("Texas Instruments home computer") to use the built-in words (I need to verify the exact command later as I am outside now)

Here is some Assembly code related to the SNUG card:

http://home.arcor.de/system-ninety-nine-user-group/spvmc/spvmc_e.pdf

Yes it's possible. Yes it would drive people crazy.

Before we get extravagant with options, post the assembly code that speaks what you want it to, I'll see if I can squeeze it in a cart.

Gazoo

Hi Gazoo,

In the end we want the Texas to say the following (listen to the wav file):

http://www.globeron.com/freedownload/services/TI99/Greeting.zip

(just kidding)

I need to spend some time to check if this works (as I am not an assembly person, but I can learn):

This is from the Editor Assembler manual (Speech section).

http://www.globeron.com/freedownload/services/TI99/SpeechExample-fromEAmanual-.pdf

Assembly code: Article 22.2.1 with an example to say "Hello".

Not to sure how easy it is to use the resident vocabulary

(like to do as the PEB-card built-in Speech Synthesizer card, it only says the following):

(from Appendices - EA manual)

>6696 Texas Instruments

>363E Home

>2034 Computer

The last pair of pictures is a Berlin UG board--and they do speak on power-up. I have one. . .and if I remember correctly, only about 20 of them were made, possibly a few more, but I don't think it was more than 30. I'll have to check my old correspondence on the subject to see if I still have any of the back-and-forth discussions between Winfried and I while he was developing it.

• Like 1

I didn't find the EA Speech Chapter very straightforward, but here's a program that says TEXAS INSTRUMENTS HOME COMPUTER then returns to caller. (Program name START).

Build and tested with Classic99, and then I tested the disk image version of the code works too. The delays should be correct but it needs to be tested on hardware to be certain, since the speech chip delays are not emulated in Classic99.

speak.zip

I didn't find the EA Speech Chapter very straightforward, but here's a program that says TEXAS INSTRUMENTS HOME COMPUTER then returns to caller. (Program name START).

Build and tested with Classic99, and then I tested the disk image version of the code works too. The delays should be correct but it needs to be tested on hardware to be certain, since the speech chip delays are not emulated in Classic99.

Hi Tursi,

Perfect! it worked on the real TI. loud and clear

Tested on real TI-99/4A - http://www.globeron.com/freedownload/services/TI99/Speech.mp4

• Like 2

The last pair of pictures is a Berlin UG board--and they do speak on power-up. I have one. . .and if I remember correctly, only about 20 of them were made, possibly a few more, but I don't think it was more than 30. I'll have to check my old correspondence on the subject to see if I still have any of the back-and-forth discussions between Winfried and I while he was developing it.

Really, only 20?

XB27SPEECH.dsk

Modification for XB v2.7 Suite cartridge

This should make the TI speak whenever the XB v2.7 Suite menu screen is presented.

Thanks for the code, Tursi. I've posted the changes I made to the source below to get it to work in the cart.

No guarantees, as I'm really tired. :)

And you won't get a good verification screen if you try that, I haven't updated the checksum for this version.

Gazoo

* Simple code to speak TEXAS INSTRUMENTS HOME COMPUTER from the built-in
* vocabulary. Based on the examples in the E/A manual, which I found
* presented somewhat confusingly. ;)
REF GPLLNK
DEF START
AORG >C000
START B @START1
TEXAS EQU >6696
HOME EQU >363E
COMP EQU >2034
READIT EQU >8330 * where to store read routine
H8000 DATA >8000 * speaking flag
H10 BYTE >10 * READ DATA
H50 BYTE >50 * SPEAK
HAA BYTE >AA * ROM header byte
EVEN
START1
* save return address
MOV R11,R9
* copy in the scratchpad code
LI R0,READIT
LI R1,CODE
LI R2,6 * 6 words
CPLP
MOV *R1+,*R0+
DEC R2
JNE CPLP
* Check if there IS a synth
CLR R0 * going to read >0000
BL @SETADR
MOVB @H10,@>9400 * READ DATA command
* need to delay 12 uS, about 36 cycles - each NOP is 10+4 (8-bit)
NOP
NOP
NOP * about 42 cycles
BL @READIT * read one byte into R0
CB R0,@HAA * is it >AA?
JEQ SPEAKY
* no synth, so just return
B @GOBACK
* we have a synth, so make some noise
SPEAKY
* Say TEXAS INSTRUMENTS HOME COMPUTER. Note we will block until COMPUTER starts.
LI R0,TEXAS
BL @SAYIT
LI R0,HOME
BL @SAYIT
LI R0,COMP
BL @SAYIT
* back to caller
B @GOBACK
* Scratchpad code for reading data
CODE MOVB @>9000,R0
* E/A doesn't give exact time needed here, but they use 3 NOPS (30 cycles in scr
NOP
NOP
NOP
B *R11
* set speech data address from R0
* Uses R1,R2
SETADR
LI R2,4 * 4 nibbles to load
SETALP
SRC R0,4 * Start with LS nibble
MOV R0,R1
SRC R1,4 * move desired nibble to right place
ANDI R1,>0F00 * mask it
ORI R1,>4000 * OR with ADDRESS command nibble
MOVB R1,@>9400 * send the command
DEC R2
JNE SETALP * do all four nibbles
LI R1,>4000
MOVB R1,@>9400 * write the final nibble
* need to delay 42 uSec, about 126 cycles - SRC is 12+4+2C (8-bit)
SRC R1,15 * 46
SRC R1,15 * 46
SRC R1,12 * 40 (A little extra to be safe)
B *R11
* Speech the vocabulary word stored in R0
SAYIT
MOV R11,R10 * save return address
* set the address
BL @SETADR
* Send speak command
MOVB @H50,@>9400
* Actual delay not specified again, assume 12?
* need to delay 12 uS, about 36 cycles - each NOP is 10+4 (8-bit)
NOP
NOP
NOP * about 42 cycles
* wait for speech to end
WAIT
BL @READIT * with no address just loaded, it retu
COC @H8000,R0
JEQ WAIT
B *R10
GOBACK BLWP @GPLLNK
DATA >7854
END
Edited by Gazoo
  • Like 1

my geneve when it starts up says in homer simpson's voice "to start press any key, where's the any key!" no speech synth needed probably could do the same thing on the 4/a using tursi's movie converter just play the sound :)

hehehe That used to be my Amiga start sound. Now it is Joel from MST3K saying "Hey, has anyone seen the mouse to my Amiga" and then Crow and Tom Servo give him hell. :)

I just tried this on my real TI, and it seems there is too long of a pause between 'Instruments' and 'Home'.

You could just tell me I'm nuts, there's nothing wrong with the way it is, and we'll move on. :dunce:

Also, how many times should the speech play before it is replaced by a beep? I'd suggest 2 or 3 times before it got annoying. :mad:

What's cool is that even after loading BOOT in the Gram space, there's still over 2k left there (the Gram space) to store stuff that won't normally be touched, so you could store all sorts of data and variables there. I should be able to put a byte there and have it count to 2 and then change the Speech to a beep after two Speeches. :)

I would think that Rich would be interested in integrating that 15k of Gram in the Ubergrom cart into RXB, there's plenty of space to store things you need that won't be touched unlike the Ram space on the TI. ;-)

Gazoo

EDIT: I just played with this a little, and it seems the speech is in the wrong place. It should be after the main menu on the Games menu after the spacebar is pressed. The text for what is spoken is even on that screen! The main menu (blue) should beep all the time.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Edited by Gazoo
  • Like 1

I just tried this on my real TI, and it seems there is too long of a pause between 'Instruments' and 'Home'.

You could just tell me I'm nuts, there's nothing wrong with the way it is, and we'll move on. :dunce:

Also, how many times should the speech play before it is replaced by a beep? I'd suggest 2 or 3 times before it got annoying. :mad:

What's cool is that even after loading BOOT in the Gram space, there's still over 2k left there (the Gram space) to store stuff that won't normally be touched, so you could store all sorts of data and variables there. I should be able to put a byte there and have it count to 2 and then change the Speech to a beep after two Speeches. :)

I would think that Rich would be interested in integrating that 15k of Gram in the Ubergrom cart into RXB, there's plenty of space to store things you need that won't be touched unlike the Ram space on the TI. ;-)

Gazoo

EDIT: I just played with this a little, and it seems the speech is in the wrong place. It should be after the main menu on the Games menu after the spacebar is pressed. The text for what is spoken is even on that screen! The main menu (blue) should beep all the time.

Thoughts? Ideas?

I like it.. perfect

Greg