IGNORED

Is this a good deal on a color computer?

Iwantgames:)

Judging by the going rate of coco's lately it's not terrible but not great either. I can't tell but judging from the fact that it has the melted keyboard it may be one of the 16k models which will limit which games or programs you can use. Personally I'd hold out for a later model coco 2 with 64k or a coco 3 but those will set you back well over a hundred bucks for a plain computer. It does have two of the deluxe joysticks which are nice though and worth a bit on their own. It's not a bad lot per se but unless you're really after a coco now I'd keep shopping for a while.

Personally I'd hold out for a later model coco 2 with 64k or a coco 3 but those will set you back well over a hundred bucks for a plain computer.

They shouldn't. I mean, they *can*, but you should be able to get 64K CoCos for less than a hundred. I only paid $50 for my CIB CoCo 3, which is probably a better deal now than most, but they're out there.

• Like 1

They shouldn't. I mean, they *can*, but you should be able to get 64K CoCos for less than a hundred. I only paid $50 for my CIB CoCo 3, which is probably a better deal now than most, but they're out there.

Coco 2's are under a hundred but to find a coco 3 on ebay in a pure auction for under a hundred is just about unheard of anymore. I suppose you could get lucky and snipe a BIN from someone undervaluing what they have but the market value for a loose coco 3 is $100 - $150 on average. Sometimes more.

My CIB coco 3 was $40 on a Canadian gaming forum but that was 5 years ago. Those days are long gone.

Edited by AtariLeaf

Hey, Atarileaf, has our friend Mark run out of NOS/Refurbished Coco3s yet?

I was lucky enough to grab one about 3 years ago, pre-fitted with 512K and a SuperIDE. The price wasn't bad for (what was effectively) a new micro but postage and duty on its arrival in the UK sullied the experience somewhat.

I figured I'd go with an NTSC model due to the PAL ones suffering from loss of colour (UK spelling) when playing games which rely on the popular use of artefacting to boost the number of available colours.

UK/PAL Cocos often played these same, colour-enhanced games with monochrome, blocky graphics due to their inability to replicate NTSC artefacts.

Hey, Atarileaf, has our friend Mark run out of NOS/Refurbished Coco3s yet?

I was lucky enough to grab one about 3 years ago, pre-fitted with 512K and a SuperIDE. The price wasn't bad for (what was effectively) a new micro but postage and duty on its arrival in the UK sullied the experience somewhat.

I figured I'd go with an NTSC model due to the PAL ones suffering from loss of colour (UK spelling) when playing games which rely on the popular use of artefacting to boost the number of available colours.

UK/PAL Cocos often played these same, colour-enhanced games with monochrome, blocky graphics due to their inability to replicate NTSC artefacts.

Last I heard, Mark was down to two or three dozen IIRC and that was about 6 months ago. I wouldn't be surprised if they're just about gone now. Not as many people know about Cloud9 outside of the coco community and forums like this. He used to have prices on his site for coco 3's, but now it just says "contact us". Got a feeling he's only got a handful left. I bought 3 from him over the years and my CIB original was also originally one of his 512k upgraded models. I prefer Mark over ebay because I know I'm getting quality and tested units.

Here is one you might want to try for, a BIN for $51.00 ( USD ):

Radio Shack TRS-80 64K Color Computer 2, 2 computers 1 in original box manuals

It looks fairly Late Model, and in real nice shape. Not really any Discoloring of the case, which happens when left in sunlight..

Here's another one:

Mouse over imagVINTAGE RADIO SHACK TRS -80 COLOR COMPUTER 2 16K BASIC, JOYSTICK, IN ORIG. BOX

MarkO

Edited by MarkO

• 2 weeks later...