IGNORED

PS4 or Xbox 1?

Hello all,

I have a Wii U, which I love for sure (CTTT is a killer, killer game), but am thinking of getting back into the "epic" type of game (Skyrim, RDR, etc) so wanna add a new system to my pile. Any opinions on whether I should go with PS 4 or Xbox 1? I do not like FPS, but i know there are many cross platform games out there right now (Witcher 3 looks kick ass). Thoughts?

The other option is a PC. Just connect it the the TV and use wireless Xbox controllers and Steam in big picture mode and it is like having a console. Can be more expensive to set up but games are cheaper.

But if I had to chose I would say PS4 too.

• Like 1

It depends.

Do you have an Xbox 360? I ask this because you mentioned Skyrim and Red Dead Redemption. Neither of those are out for the XOne or PS4, however, the XOne has (or will have) the ability to play X360 games. Since those 2 games were among the best of the last generation, I'd say it's pretty likely both will be playable on the XOne.

If you have an X360 though, and have those games, then, once again, it depends.

XOne will have Forza Motorsport, Halo, Gears of War, etc.

PS4 will have Gran Turismo, Uncharted, Infamous, etc.

The one thing the PS4 will have that the XOne will not is wide Japanese support. Games like the Final Fantasy X collection, Final Fantasy XIV, Persona 5, Dragon Quest Heroes, Omega Quintet, etc. (This happened with the PS2 and 3 as well.)

If you mainly like western games from 3rd party companies, like Ubisoft, Activision, EA, etc, then flip a coin. The PS4 may be selling better, but that doesn't mean the XOne is selling badly. The 3rd party exclusive game has mostly been reduced to a timed deal.

I have a PS4, and I love it, and have no regrets about not going with the Xbox this time around. (Last gen I had a 360, and before that an original Xbox)

Unless you're a fan of obscure JRPG's you really can't go wrong with either one. I guess judge by the first party exclusive lineup.

I have both along with a Wii U and an Alienware Alpha. The Wii U is by far my favorite, followed by the Alienware Alpha. The Alpha is expensive, but games are so cheap during sales (Steam, GMG, Humble, Bundle Stars, etc.) that it eventually ofsets the cost. Plus, I can use any USB controller/arcade stick on it. It also emulates Wii through the Dolphin emulator at 1080p. I can play high def SSB Brawl with the Wii U gamecube controller adapter full speed on the Alpha. Also virtual console games like Contra Rebirth and Castlevania Rebirth are a blast on the Alpha with USB Snes controllers.

Between the Xbox One and the PS4, I prefer the PS4. They are both very disappointing with a lack of exclusives and killer apps. Still, they are both nice consoles and seem to be built much better than last gen. I love the next gen console port of Diablo 3 on PS4. Knack is also a great family game. On the Xbox One, Killer Instinct and Project Spark are decent fun.

For me it is the XB1 by a ton.

I like my PS4 just fine, but the XB1 is the go to system in our house.

My son and I like the exclusives a bit more on the XB1. Halo, Forza, Forza Horizon get more playtime than Last of Us, Killzone, The Order, etc. There is a ton of overlap in the libraries it really is only a handful of games that are exclusive to each system.

It is much easier and cheaper to add more hard drive space on the XB1. Just plug in an external hdd and you are good to go. A 5TB external hdd can be had for $135. With the PS4 you have to buy a 2.5" hdd and then you lose the 500gb of space you already had if you upgrade to a 2TB for instance. So for the $100 to upgrade to a 2TB hdd you only really gain 1.5tb. I only have 10 or so games on my PS4 and the stock 500gb drive is half full. I have 25+ games on my XB1 with only 16% of my hard drive space used (4TB external + 500GB internal)

XB1 backwards compatability with 360 games is a nice plus. The 3-4 games I have tried it with work pretty well. Microsoft says 100+ games will be backwards compatable this fall. We will see how serious they are then I guess.

The HDMI passthrough is a nice feature of the XB1 as well. I can be watching a ballgame or movie etc and I will get a notification if a buddy logs in. Makes it a bit easier to connect with your friends for an online session.

I prefer the XB1 controller over the PS4. The PS4 controller is a huge upgrade over the PS3, whereas the XB1 is only a little better than the 360, but in my opinion the XB1 still has the edge over the PS4. The speaker in the PS4 controller is pretty neat though for some games.

The XB1 is generally cheaper than the PS4. Since the PS4 has been selling better than the XB1, Microsoft has been more aggressive with price cuts ad bundle deals.

I'll toss in a vote for the Xbox One. The system seemed a step backward from the 360 when it was released, but MS has been making big changes that have made it my most played system the past couple months. The backward compatibility is a cool surprise, although I haven't used it yet. The ability to more easily stream content and to hook up external storage is great and was something it sorely lacked at launch. The controller is a no brainer, the Xbox controller is sturdy and built for extended playing sessions. Xbox 360 and One controllers are simply the best of all time in my opinion. If none of that sounds good, just go by the games that interest you. The upcoming games shown at E3 recently should help you decide. Just check out some vids on YouTube. In the end it's the games that matter the most.

• Like 1

. The PS4 may be selling better, but that doesn't mean the XOne is selling badly. The 3rd party exclusive game has mostly been reduced to a timed deal.

The PS4 is currently outselling the WiiU and the Xbone 2:1 combined. Not that it matters so much as it's not a "me too" kinda thing. Overall the PS4 is the better machine.

• Like 1

Shenmue 3 would be a very good reason to go for the PS4. It was fully funded within 9 hours on Kickstarter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3

My hopes for this are pretty low until more information and footage of the game is shown (which I'm guessing won't be until well into the future). The video they showed off for the Kickstarter looks pretty damn gimpy to me. Then again, the game surely won't be ready for years, so for right now it's not much of a reason to own the system. There is going to be plenty more available across both platforms by the time Shenmue 3 hits. You know, five years from now.

Most of what I was going to say has been covered.

1) Look at the exclusive games each console has and go with the one that has your favorites.

2) Consider which console your friends have so you can play online with them.

I'll add another vote for the XBox. To me the PS4 seems like a brilliant gaming machine, but the XBO is a brilliant home entertainment machine. When you pair it with Kinect it just feels like the future. When I walk in my HT room and say "Xbox, on," and my Xbox, TV, and AV receiver come to life that is pretty darn awesome. And my XBO is the primary element in my HT system now; I use it for games, Blu-rays, CDs, streaming audio, and streaming video.

With the Win 10 improvements coming to the UI that were announced at E3 the experience is only going to get better. Plus we now have backward compatability for 360 games, and there is EA Access (the best value in gaming right now).

My order of preference in modern consoles goes like this: Xbox One, PS4, then Wii U. The Wii U just lacks the type of games that appeal to me and I find the interface overly sluggish in comparison to the Xbox One and PS4 despite multiple updates. The Xbox One and PS4 are quite close and both offer an incredible value proposition with the "free" monthly games (with respective annual subscriptions) and access to a wide range of apps and non-gaming functionality. Where the Xbox One "wins" for me is the fact that it's an "HDMI 1" console, meaning it's always on and available, i.e., my TV is on, the Xbox One is on, using its pass-through feature for my cable box (I have two Xbox One consoles, one in the family room and one in our bedroom).

It sounds trite but not having to switch inputs and the console always being on means it's always ready to go, and it's quite seamless switching between watching TV and playing a game or docking an app or any other number of scenarios (multitasking). Since I have the Kinect versions, it's also useful for pausing TV, changing volume, etc., particularly when the remote is out of reach. Again, it sounds like lazy man stuff, but it really does come in handy.

The other nice feature is that things like the YouTube app on my mobile device works with it. While it's far more limited than a Chromecast dongle (which I also have, but again it switches inputs on my TV), I can easily send YouTube videos to my Xbox One for it to start playing. I look forward to potentially even more functionality like this when Windows 10 gets integrated into it.

I also appreciate the fact that just like the Wii U, I can easily plug in a large external hard drive to expand the storage. Unfortunately, to date, the only way to expand storage on the PS4 is internally, which is not a major deal, but it's nowhere near as convenient.

Now, with all of that said, I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either the PS4 or Xbox One. Game-wise and media-wise, they're fairly similar, with one or the other being better depending on what exclusives you prefer (I like that the PS4 has Spotify, for instance). For me, though, the added convenience of the Xbox One taking over the primary HDMI input while passing through your cable or satellite box is just that extra push that gets me to use it more. If I were "limited" to just having one or the other though, I'd still be more than happy with all that it has to offer.

In terms of EA Access and Xbox 360 backwards compatibility, those are definite pluses in the Xbox One's favor, and, particularly the latter works better than it has any right to (although it's important to keep in mind that not every Xbox 360 game will be made compatible; not by a long-shot). Again, though, there are advantages on the PS4 side as well.

• Like 1

well I like both the PS4 and Xbox 1 just as equal but if I could only have one it might just be the PS4. No real reason to get a console over a PC for the non exclusives games in my honest opinion(better graphics, mods, free online etc) but as far as exclusives go the PS4 has better ones right now and with Shenmue and Gran Turismo(although Forza is just as good) coming, it will be even better. I'd try to get both but if you can only afford one I'd put my money on the PS4.

PS4 for me but if you can only pick one console (I suggest getting both) look at the exclusive first party games....which ones do you want to play and invest yourself in? Halo or Uncharted? Forza or Gran Turismo? Gears of War or The Last of Us? etc etc.

Throw these questions in too:
- Do you play multiplayer? Buy the system your friends also have.
- Do you play a certain genre over others? FPS, (J)RPG's, Sports. Buy the system that looks like it will meet your match.
- Do you import games or play JRPG's? (PS4)

- Do you want more multimedia capabilities or Windows options? (Xbox One)

- Do you favor certain indie titles?

Just make yourself a list, tick everything off and pick one.

Depends on the games.

I don't see anything exclusive to the PS4 that makes me want one right now.

I have two XB1 consoles. One is for my son. We use them daily and really enjoy the system.

My kid really was happy playing the Gears of War Ultimate beta. It looked and performed fantastic.

I find my Xbox One to be a mostly irritating system with a delightful controller and a number of great games with quite the complement of free to low cost options.

Irritations:

-Around 2/3 of the time netflix doesn't recognize my controller until I power cycle the controller.

-Plex around 1/4 of the time will not allow me to scroll through my library. It will at first repeat nearby titles if as sorted alphabetically and then starts to repeat random titles.

-For a while apps would 'crash' to 'desktop' every few launches with no feedback at all.

-Relatively low storage space with the push to digital being in pretty full swing. Disks end up just being an annoyance since the installation takes considerable time and then I need to put it in each time anyway. I guess I was naive about that one.

-Pandora is a mess for us. Most of the time it doesn't load my stations. Granted I have I think 40+ stations, I'm not sure if that is abnormal or not but I feel like it's not at this point in the timeline.

As a media box I tend to boot my Wii U as I just know Netflix / Amazon Prime will work. For plex I have a few devices but the One does have the best fidelity, I can't fault it there.

We have a PS4 at work that sees quite a lot of play in the break room and I'd be lying if I saw a compelling difference on the screen. I prefer the One's controller and it has a few standout franchises for me. I don't have the camera doo hickey and I don't use the streaming / capturing stuff at all but I'm told quite often it works great. Snapping is neat too. Let's me have pandora (the one station that will be one) while I play. We've also put netflix on for the kids while we play a few times. That's snazzy.

As for these sorts of threads, I think they are fun to see over time. Especially with systems changing significantly over the life span.

Since I had to pick only one for quite awhile, I went with the PS4 as JRPGs are what I play the most. My son and I also like the Uncharted series, so it was a no-brainer. I don't regret the decision.

That said, at some point down the road, I will probably will pick up an Xbox One as I am going to want to play Halo 5 and that Rare compilation looks promising.

The backwards compatibility thing is a non issue with me. My 360 isn't going anywhere, and if I want to play PS 3 games, I still have that.

How hard would it be to add some BC to the PS4 though... seems like at least PSOne and PS2 emulation should be possible.....

How hard would it be to add some BC to the PS4 though... seems like at least PSOne and PS2 emulation should be possible.....

Relatively trivial. They'd rather push their PSNow service to accomplish that, though, which also lets PS3 games play on the PS4, which would otherwise be exceptionally difficult, if not impossible to pull off traditionally. Streaming games is fine (and in theory you can do that for any platform's games, of course), but it does unfortunately mean you can't use the games you already own. I know I have no interest in paying the PSNow fees.