IGNORED

PS4 or Xbox 1?

My hopes for this are pretty low until more information and footage of the game is shown (which I'm guessing won't be until well into the future). The video they showed off for the Kickstarter looks pretty damn gimpy to me. Then again, the game surely won't be ready for years, so for right now it's not much of a reason to own the system. There is going to be plenty more available across both platforms by the time Shenmue 3 hits. You know, five years from now.

Come on man, it's Shenmue!!!! We are getting a new Shenmue!!! The epic stone stepping across the creek trailer/demo didn't knock your socks off?!?! Lol ;-). But ya, I wouldn't base a console purchase on an indie game that at the earliest will see a late 2017 release, unless you are a hardcore Shenmue fan. I'm just happy that the PC is getting a physical Shenmue III release, where as the PS4 is still just digital release.

A few people have mentioned Gran Turismo for the PS4 as well, which Sony hasn't even announced for the PS4 yet. Gran Turismo 7 probably won't hit till late 2016 or more likely in 2017.

So far, I feel that Microsoft is doing a better job at first party content right now. Microsoft also seems to be doing a better job at listening to the fans and implementing a bunch of system and hardware upgrades on a constant basis. Microsoft just seems to be out hustling Sony here of late. They have to though, if they want to stay competitive and in reach of Sony and not loose 3rd party support.

The JRPG advantage that the Playstation had in the past over Xbox isn't going to be as big as say in the PS2/Xbox era. The Xbox is still getting the main Final Fantasy games and the next Kingdom Hearts game. There are only a handful of AAA RPG developers left in Japan. AAA development in Japan in general is looking pretty bleak.

Edited by Major Havoc 2049
  • Like 1

In terms of capabilities? PS4. I don't have one and only got the Xb1 as a spur of the moment purchase because it was a very good deal. Maybe the only thing you need to look at is whether or not the games and franchises available for each system are what you're likely to play. Looks like the number of free games on Xbone for Xbox Live Gold membership has been increased to 2 per month. Not sure what the equivalent deal is on the PS4 (or even if there is one) so that might be worth thinking about as well.

The only problem I have with Gold is that I now have a growing library of games on the Xbone and 360 that's turning into a major backlog.

Still need to finish AC: Black Flag that came with the Xbone. Haven't even started on Unity yet.

Then you have the free games, including:

Tomb Raider

Child of Light (very nice platformer on Xbone)

Hitman Absolution

Rayman Legends

And about eight other games I haven't had a chance to play yet.

I want to say XBOX One because that's what I have, but the reality is I still haven't really given the PS4 much time so I can't comment on it. All I know is the game library of the One is more suited to my tastes (Killer Instinct, Halo, Sunset Overdrive, Rare Replay, etc.) and I'm already a part of that ecosystem thanks to having an active Gold membership from my 360. Backwards compatibility is really sweetening the deal and I look forward to how many games they make available for it in the future. The Xbone makes sense for my situation and I've been happy with it, especially with how MS has been improving on the platform as the months roll on.

Like I have always said when these debates come up, it really depends on what games you like. I know each of them has there exclusives, just pick the ones you like the most and go with it.

That's mostly true, but my experience with media between at least the PS3 and the Xbox One is that other than the TV stuff i don't really have a use for, I vastly prefer the PS3's media streaming support now that it has a well functioning Spotify and Plex client. Based on that I might have gone with a PS4 were I buying now. Both have some very solid exclusives but not enough to pull me either way. In my case it was mostly up to the controller I think.