IGNORED

Etiquette for selling homebrews/hacks/repros/etc.

Hello all --

Wasn't sure the best place to post this so I hope it's OK here.

I have not been an active member here for almost a decade, as I had to sell off the bulk of my collection a few years back to pay some medical bills. Cash flow problems have once again reared their ugly head, which has unfortunately led to my decision to try selling off some of the stuff I held onto, which includes a whole bunch of repros, hacks, and homebrews which were lovingly made for me by members of this very community. I'm pretty confident that I could get some pretty hefty prices just by listing these on eBay, but I really valued my time here and the last thing I want to do is upset the current community or especially those who spent the time making some of these for me in the first place. So my question is, what is the general feeling about reselling these? Is it poor form to just let the marketplace on eBay decide on a price or would the proper thing to do be to just post them here? Is it more proper to list them here for set prices or ask for offers? How do those of you who make repros or homebrews/hacks feel about people reselling your work? I have a whole slew of CPUWiz-crafted carts, for example. Is it disrespectful to resell them on eBay for a profit? Or is the general feeling that I paid for them way back when and now they are mine to do with as I please? I am sincere in wanting to do right by the wonderful folks who have put so much of their time and dedication into this hobby, which is why I wanted to get a sense of how the majority of the community feels on the topic before I started the process of selling these. Any and all responses are appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Adam

This is my opinion. The person (s) who made repros made it their decision to either make them in a limited run or stop making them all together. If market has a desire for said repro and original person does not take advantage of that then that is their decision. If you can sell for more on ebay so be it. It is a free marketplace. If ebay commands a higher price, then person selling them originally should have them marketed on ebay at a price they want them to sell for.

Now if someone makes a game and you reproduce it and they don't want you to, that would be a different story. I can understand problems with that. However selling something you purchased, it is yours to keep or sell as you wish.

• Like 1

I see nothing wrong at all about selling games you own--everyone's situation changes, and if you need to sell them for whatever reason (bored with the games, need the money, etc.), it's really nobody's business but your own. The only issue I really have is when people misrepresent what they are selling on eBay, which unfortunately does happen pretty often. As long as you are clear that these are homebrews, or reproductions, etc., and don't misrepresent how rare a game is, I can't see how anyone could complain.

I do agree with CPUWIZ that it's unfortunate when people buy the games simply to flip them on eBay. I see AtariAge homebrews on eBay listed for ridiculous BINs or starting values all the time, even when the game is still being actively sold in the AtariAge Store. If someone can't be bothered to do even a cursory search to see what something might be worth before overpaying, it's hard for me to shed any tears.

..Al

• Like 6

As long as you bought them in the first place for playing and keeping your collection you'll not be frowned upon. If you're the sort that bought simply to resell for a profit, and thus denied genuine players and/or collectors a copy, then some will rightly take issue with that.

We all understand circumstances can change, too. Rather than holding changed fortune against a fellow gamer, we'll understand, and bear such in mind when bidding and/or making an offer. I hope you'll be able to raise whatever money you'll need- and give us here at AA first consideration over Ebay :)

I hope you'll be able to raise whatever money you'll need- and give us here at AA first consideration over Ebay :)

Given the encouraging responses here, I fully intend to make them available here first.

Will take me at least a few days to decide which to hold onto, I reckon -- besides just deciding which ones to keep for actual playing purposes (I don't collect anymore, but my 7800 still proudly sits on my living room table and is not neglected), I need to do a little research and get pictures to post and what-not, but I'd much rather they went to a good home then to someone who is just going to try to flip them, and there's a much better likelihood of that if I keep'em in the family, so to speak.

Edited by Captain Beard
  • Like 2

I'd say that a decade is clearly enough time to not be labeled a flipper. Sell them as you see fit :) If you want to give the AA community first shot and save on eBay fees that's respectable. You should get some decent offers. Otherwise, they should do well on eBay. Hopefully it brings in the cash you're looking for. Good luck!

Agreed with the bulk of replies here that you didn't buy then to flip them so it's not a big deal to resell. I can't stand when people buy home brews just to flip them. After every major release I always see 1 or 2 individuals immediately dump copies out to eBay at twice the markup of the producer. It's a lousy practice that hurts the hobby as a whole.

• Like 2

After every major release I always see 1 or 2 individuals immediately dump copies out to eBay at twice the markup of the producer. It's a lousy practice that hurts the hobby as a whole.

No what hurts the hobby is when the producer LIMITS the quantity. If the producer would just sell them as people want them there wouldn't be flipping happening.

The ONLY and I mean only reason to limit quantity is so said game will be worth more in future... So I personally do not blame someone for flipping on ebay. I personally have not done this but I see no wrong in it. The only person taking games away from fellow members to enjoy is the person who decides to make a limited amount of the game.

No what hurts the hobby is when the producer LIMITS the quantity. If the producer would just sell them as people want them there wouldn't be flipping happening.

The ONLY and I mean only reason to limit quantity is so said game will be worth more in future... So I personally do not blame someone for flipping on ebay. I personally have not done this but I see no wrong in it. The only person taking games away from fellow members to enjoy is the person who decides to make a limited amount of the game.

Not everyone has the resources or time to produce a game in unlimited quantity. Remember that this is a hobby for most people, something they do in their spare time. I don't think you're being very fair to people who just want to make 'x' copies of their game and then move on to another project. Yes, that is going to cause the game to go up in value once the run is finished. But that doesn't mean that the person who produced the game did it for this reason. Especially since they will likely have sold most of the copies produced, so how are they gaining by the game going up in value?

..Al

• Like 2

All of my releases are Limited Editions. I have released over 30 different Atari 2600 cartridges in the last 10 years and really don't have the time or the resources to have an ongoing storefront. In the case where a game has more demand then I can handle AtariAge can sell them in the store. That was done with Wolfenstein: The Next Mission.

I think I make enough cartridges and several different versions (Price ranges) so anyone who wants a copy has the opportunity to get one. Hunger Shark will be releasing in a few days and copies are still available.

As far as flippers or re-sellers, once someone purchases something it is theirs to do with as they please. But, if there is a time when there is only a few copies left I will give it to a known collector or player before selling it to a flipper. It is pretty obvious who does it.

• Like 2

All of my releases are Limited Editions. I have released over 30 different Atari 2600 cartridges in the last 10 years and really don't have the time or the resources to have an ongoing storefront. In the case where a game has more demand then I can handle AtariAge can sell them in the store. That was done with Wolfenstein: The Next Mission.

I think I make enough cartridges and several different versions (Price ranges) so anyone who wants a copy has the opportunity to get one. Hunger Shark will be releasing in a few days and copies are still available.

As far as flippers or re-sellers, once someone purchases something it is theirs to do with as they please. But, if there is a time when there is only a few copies left I will give it to a known collector or player before selling it to a flipper. It is pretty obvious who does it.

I've been collecting Atari carts for about 15 years. I love your work as well as cpuwiz items. But what does this guy have for sale already? Im a keeper not a flipper just ask tempest? Edited by Chris Leach

But what does this guy have for sale already?

Sorry, not trying to be mysterious or be a tease, I just haven't found the time to get crackin' on sorting through everything I've got, do a little research, and get nice pics taken. But I tell you what, here's two pics of some of the stuff now and if folks want to start asking me questions and/or sending offers, perhaps that will light a fire under me to get this done. I do have manuals/boxes/other stuff where they existed for some (but not all) of these, they're just not pictured here.

Also: If any of you made any of these and do NOT want me to sell them for whatever reason, please just contact me and let me know.

post-10225-0-23489900-1435979100_thumb.jpg

post-10225-0-18028600-1435979103_thumb.jpg

If your not in a big hurry you might want to wait a little bit. Not only do the summer months SUCK for ebay selling, two members (riffraff and mayhem) are also in the process of selling their homebrew and repro collections. Just saying, there are only so many buyers for these and if too many options are available..well, it doesnt help the seller ;)

The Magicard and Videolife are worth the most, those can not be made anymore and there are very few of them. I don't recognize a lot of the carts, some look like Shawn's, some mine (SARA carts, Coleco carts etc.) and others I have no idea. :)

I have never seen a blue label Atlantis II repro, that must have been Shawn. LOL