IGNORED

All about sprites/tiles

Plastik

Plastik, I just want to say that I like the graphics you create. Shame the Mario stuff isn't technically possible on the real hardware, but even the simplified stuff is really well done. Kudos.

Thanks Mole, I think I'm a bit better at making the graphics then I am at coding them. :) Sadly they never made a pre-built engine to just drop your graphics and sprites into like today's software so those with limited coding knowledge can get a bit of a lead. Well there was the adventure series where you could make your own text adventure but still. I have some idea's and I like to share them so I guess that's good enough for me. :)

hallway.png

• Like 1

Plastik, I just want to say that I like the graphics you create.

Me too, especially the dog you created in another thread!

I envy people who can make a few pixels, with the right color combination, look amazingly good.

• Like 1

(OT)

Where did that come from? It's not even in the game base.

I don't think a smooth scrolling version would be impossible.

Should be pretty doable, I think one could pull off a convincing SMB, although it would not be a small effort. FWIW, SMB is fully reverse engineered and documented assembly code is available for it (I've seen that used for ports to other machines - Genesis has a very nice port, and someone started and got running an Atari 8-bit port, although the graphics weren't done). ;) Would not be too hard to adapt 6502 to 9900 (we have lots more registers ;) ), then it's just the work of making it fit and adapting the graphics/sound systems. Scrolling is probably a secondary effort if you start with the NES code, I expect that'd be easier to do from scratch.

But the video I linked is Super Marios Bros, released (or at least reviewed) in 1991. It received 3/4 stars in Micropendium. It's an XB title with assembly support sold commercially by Baker software, and we have a brief discussion here in a 'worst games' thread, where it got my vote. Sadly Baker Software never showed up and said 'sure, distribute it ;)'.

• 3 years later...
  • 3 years later...
On 6/28/2015 at 4:49 PM, Opry99er said:

Here's a little example of how to use HCHAR, VCHAR, and SPRITE.

100 CALL CLEAR
110 CALL CHAR(96,"1028449292FE2010")
120 CALL HCHAR(1,1,96,32)
130 CALL VCHAR(1,1,96,24)
140 CALL HCHAR(24,1,96,32)
150 CALL VCHAR(1,32,96,24)
160 CALL SPRITE(#1,96,9,10,10,4,1)
170 GOTO 170

I redefine ONE character. I use tile placement and a SPRITE here. You can see how to repeat characters in this code.

HCHAR and VCHAR have the same format. (row,column,character pattern,repetition)

sorry if i'm hijacking but why didn't TI use Data statements instead? It's easier to do 0's and 1's instead of remembering a string of hex values (at least to me), so why the change?

That and the 9900 CPU are the only things stopping me from making things on this machine. any thoughts?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Frozone212 said:

sorry if i'm hijacking but why didn't TI use Data statements instead? It's easier to do 0's and 1's instead of remembering a string of hex values (at least to me), so why the change?

That and the 9900 CPU are the only things stopping me from making things on this machine. any thoughts?

It is just a different way to do it. Both can be done with the TI :

100 RESTORE :: CALL CLEAR :: READ X,Y$
110 CALL CHAR(X,Y$)
120 CALL HCHAR(1,1,X,32)
130 CALL VCHAR(1,1,X,24)
140 CALL HCHAR(24,1,X,32)
150 CALL VCHAR(1,32,X,24)
160 CALL SPRITE(#1,X,9,10,10,4,1)
170 GOTO 170
180 DATA 96,1028449292FE2010

Edited by jrhodes

2 minutes ago, jrhodes said:

It is just a different way to do it. Both can be done with the TI :

100 RESTORE :: CALL CLEAR :: READ X,Y$
110 CALL CHAR(X,Y$)
120 CALL HCHAR(1,1,96,32)
130 CALL VCHAR(1,1,96,24)
140 CALL HCHAR(24,1,96,32)
150 CALL VCHAR(1,32,96,24)
160 CALL SPRITE(#1,96,9,10,10,4,1)
170 GOTO 170
180 DATA 96,1028449292FE2010

does the TI recognize 0 and 1 or am I forced to use Hex? I find it far easier to do binary then hex but i'm always eager to learn

2 minutes ago, Frozone212 said:

does the TI recognize 0 and 1 or am I forced to use Hex? I find it far easier to do binary then hex but i'm always eager to learn

You could include your own binary to hex subroutine in your program, use it to read in the binary data, and output a hex string, which you then feed to CALL CHAR.

That is to say, you can enter your DATA statements in binary, as long as you can convert it to hex before you use it with CALL CHAR.

Also, consider reading this: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=11023777

• Like 1