IGNORED

RespeQt: Fork of AspeQt 1.0.0-preview7/r79

Joey Z

So I said I'd do it, and here it is, RespeQt, the fork of AspeQt r79.

https://github.com/jzatarski/RespeQt

Currently, I've only confirmed it builds in linux, but it should work in windows as well, and maybe even OS X if we're lucky :-D

Forked to RespeQt - June 29, 2015 - release 80
    * added workaround for a bug on some linux releases related to the QT
    appmenu stuff which would cause the menu bar to not appear.
    * changed some code in mainwindow.cpp:130 so that RespeQt doesn't
    conflict with AspeQT. Also imports settings from AspeQt, if RespeQt
    doesn't already have it's own settings.
    * de-Rayed AspeQt source for forking to RespeQt. That is, changed
    (hopefully) all references to Ray Ataergin to Joseph Zatarski where
    it makes sense, and changed all references from AspeQt to RespeQt. If
    you find somewhere I have faild to do one of these things, let me know.
    You will get a mention somewhere, probably on the about page.
    - probably broke translations somewhat, but maybe not
    - german manual from AspeQt needs a rewrite for RespeQt   

things on the todo list:

Add ApeTime support back: shouldn't be too bad, I have some old AspeQt source from when ApeTime was included. I should be able to figure out what needs to be added to make it work

need to deal with the AspeCL stuff at some point. I haven't even touched that yet, not even changed it to 'RespeCL' or something. I'm actually thinking about just removing after I put ApeTime back in. Does anybody even use AspeCL?

remove any other mentions of AspeQt, atari8warez, Ray Ataergin, etc. where applicable

Also, I may have broken translations, but maybe not. I haven't really bothered to check.

If you would like to contribute by adding a translation, let me know. I hear it's not too hard, it's just tedious.

Also, if anyone manages to find some mention of AspeQt, Ray Ataergin, atari8warez, a8w, etc. where it doesn't belong, you get a special mention somewhere, probably on the about page as well as in history.txt :) This includes anything in the code too. For example, I changed the name of the aspeqtSettings stuff to respeqtSettings. If anything like that is present anywhere, I want to revise it, so let me know if you find any.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, we need a new icon for RespeQt to replace the one from AspeQt. If anyone want to design a new icon and post it here, I'd pick the one that people like the most. I mean, we don't need a new icon, but it'd be nice to have one that differentiates RespeQt from AspeQt...

Edited by Joey Z
  • Like 4

great to see this is being working on again. Would be great if Aspeqt / Respeqt could support VAPI files. Just would cover all formats in one package

Anyhoo.....I'm no graphic artist...well, to be honest, I can't draw for toffee! But I've had a quick go at a new logo.

Presentation1.bmp

Edited by djmat56

However he is disliked here and now, did Ray really do such a mess in the source to deserve all that "de-Raying"? I am not really following the affair (where he ended up banned), so I do not know, so just asking. But for now all this concentration on removing references to him looks more like DespeQt than RespeQt.

• Like 2

I can furnish you with a lengthy chronology if you wish, but privately if you're genuinely interested. Doubtless a factual, public account would also be deemed disrespectful by someone. And if the initial objective (as it appears to be) is to revert the software broadly back to the state it was in before he took over (and to avoid confusion with whichever version Mr Ataergin continues to maintain), then it would seem to make sense to remove authorial references to material which has been removed. Unless I'm misunderstanding somehow.

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 1

However he is disliked here and now, did Ray really do such a mess in the source to deserve all that "de-Raying"? I am not really following the affair (where he ended up banned), so I do not know, so just asking. But for now all this concentration on removing references to him looks more like DespeQt than RespeQt.

The 'de-raying' I spoke of is not that I'm removing what Ray has done to the source. I have removed what doesn't make sense to be in RespeQt, like contact information for Ray. RespeQt has nothing to do with him, I wouldn't want users to think that Ray supports it somehow when he actually doesn't. I have left legal references like old copyrights since RespeQt is based on AspeQt, and AspeQt is partially copyright by Ray. I have not removed any of the features he added.

The 'de-raying' I spoke of is not that I'm removing what Ray has done to the source. I have removed what doesn't make sense to be in RespeQt, like contact information for Ray. RespeQt has nothing to do with him, I wouldn't want users to think that Ray supports it somehow when he actually doesn't. I have left legal references like old copyrights since RespeQt is based on AspeQt, and AspeQt is partially copyright by Ray. I have not removed any of the features he added.

That makes perfect sense Joey.

As for the two logos which have been posted, thanks, but they'll have to be smaller to use as an icon. Not sure what the size limit is, but the original AspeQt logo was only 48x48.

So I resized them to see how they look. The text in FJC's becomes kind of a blob of some white on red, so that one may be better for a full sized logo somewhere, like the about page or documentation.

Here is djmat56's, which works better since it's bigger, blockier, horizontal text:

post-27376-0-23782300-1435679011.png

Yes, as fuijdude wrote, that makes perfect sense. However, if so, these are minor changes: I personally would not emphasize them so much as to mentioning them several times in the original post and giving them so disrespectful a name as "de-Raying". This is insulting, IMHO. At least, he did maintain the software for quite some time and (unless I am misled here) has contributed to it (less or more) valuably.

• Like 3

Yes, as fuijdude wrote, that makes perfect sense. However, if so, these are minor changes: I personally would not emphasize them so much as to mentioning them several times in the original post and giving them so disrespectful a name as "de-Raying". This is insulting, IMHO. At least, he did maintain the software for quite some time and (unless I am misled here) has contributed to it (less or more) valuably.

I mentioned them several times because it *is* an important part. RespeQt is NOT one of Ray's products, and it shouldn't have any mention of him as if it were. If there's anything left mentioning him where it doesn't make sense, it could confuse a user into thinking Ray has something to do with RespeQt and potentially causing them to seek support from him, when they probably shouldn't. Maybe Ray would be happy to support RespeQt, he is capable as right now it's basically still just AspeQt under a different name, but I doubt he'd like that very much.

De-Raying may be a bit disrespectful, but then maybe it's a bit deserved in my opinion. He never seemed to respect anyone once he disagreed with them, so does he really deserve my respect back for him, now that I disagree with him? He has lost whatever respect I may have had for him. Yes, he has maintained the software, and he has added features, and that is why his copyright is still mentioned. I might add that his copyright also incorrectly lists the years of work (only 2012 when it should say 2012-2015) but that is his own doing, and I have left it for now, although I will probably change it.

That is all I will say on the topic, I think that about sums it up.

EDIT: typos...

Edited by Joey Z
  • Like 1

Thank you for forking the project! I'll build it for OS X as long as I'm able and if smarter folks will help me with any errors. I'll also upload the icon I made for my version last year in case anyone wants to consider it for inclusion. Otherwise I'll just use it for my personal builds. :)

Edited by DrVenkman

As for the two logos which have been posted, thanks, but they'll have to be smaller to use as an icon. Not sure what the size limit is, but the original AspeQt logo was only 48x48.

So I resized them to see how they look. The text in FJC's becomes kind of a blob of some white on red, so that one may be better for a full sized logo somewhere, like the about page or documentation.

Here is djmat56's, which works better since it's bigger, blockier, horizontal text:

attachicon.gifRespeQt-icon.png

Usually you go up to 256x256, and then you can generate smaller ones from that. In Windows anyway. Not sure how Linux flavors do it.

From the Greenfish Icon Editor Pro help info:

How to...

Create a Windows iconIn contrary to the common belief, icons are not just small, partially transparent images with ICO extension. Most icons contain more than one page. These pages are different in size and/or color depth, helping the operating system to choose the icon page most suitable for the current purpose.

So creating an icon means drawing an image in several sizes and color depths. Windows Vista and newer versions recommend that all icon have a 256x256 @ 32-bit page, from which all other pages are derived. The most important image formats are the following:

• Size
    • 256x256
    • 48x48
    • 32x32
    • 16x16
  • Color depth
    • 32-bit
    • 256 colors
    • 16 colors

Tip: Start designing your icon prototype in a size even bigger, possibly as big as 1024x1024. Keep in mind that lowering the resolution is always an option.

Note that the color depth cannot be specified explicitly in GFIE, it is updated dynamically according to the picture contents. For example, if you want to create a page in 256 colors, draw an image which has at most 256 colors and does not have semi-transparent pixels. If you want to create 16-color icons for the Windows OS, use only the 16 system colors - those which comprise the two topmost lines of the default swatch preset.

For what it's worth, I stumbled through the process of creating an icon set for OS X last summer. Here is a preview of the image I used. I created the icon set (.icns) file for my build with this online tool. Worked great.

https://iconverticons.com/online/

AspeQt%20example%20icon_zps93oyrxby.png

The immature part of me wants to say cool image, but the disk drive deserves to be on top. And the tape drive should be face down^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hupside down :)

• Like 1

The immature part of me wants to say cool image, but the disk drive deserves to be on top. And the tape drive should be face down^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hupside down :)

I mean, I can do that but it's REALLY hard to open the Program Recorder door that way. :D

• Like 1

Can I respectfully request everyone interested in the continued development of this project please just leave all the crap and unpleasantness in the past where it belongs so this project can move forward on its own? That's kind of what I was getting at last night when I suggested in another AspeQt-Related thread that this fork needed its own name. Identity is a powerful thing and there's no point in undercutting its viability with constant reminders of ugliness in the past. I don't make this request to denigrate anyone else or minimize whatever issues they may have made with AspeQt's primary recent maintainer; I merely ask so that every thread touching on the project doesn't turn into a rehash of old personal problems and conflicts.

Thanks

• Like 7

As far as a stable release goes, this is pretty stable, but I'd like to do just a bit more of the stuff on the todo list before I make a release.

Poll: does anyone actually use the AspeCL client? From what I understand, it does a bit more than just time, but if ApeTime support were added back in, would anybody care if I got rid of ApeCL? I may or may not have reason to remove it, it depends on how much it gets in the way of other stuff.