IGNORED

Atari 7800 Woody

GoldenWheels

Now you need some carts made of wood:

atariage.com/forums/topic/168337-skull-island-wood-case/?p=2121021

Wooden cart. Wooden cartridge. Wood cart. Wood cartridge. Flammable fun. Cockamamie Kickstarter

A bit impractical, maybe, but I would love to see an all wooden console. Obviously the electronics and PCB cannot be made of wood, but the idea to replace the entire console shell with wood. Wooden console, wooden game cart, wooden controller with wooden buttons. Same dimensions with stock electronics and stock screws holding it together. Care may need to be taken with regards to ventallation as wood is a good insulator.

Stain and finish complete the look, showing off the grain. Start with the heavy dixer.

Edited by stardust4ever

Would be even better if the pieces were pre-cut to fit the 7800, so then it would just be peel and stick. I know that's asking alot........

Shouldn't the wood color be a tad bit darker to match the wood on a 2600? More like a walnut color than that blonde oak? Don't get me wrong it still looks cool in that color too!

Suggestion........... replace the dented chrome faceplate with a new one from Best Electronics then it would look brand new!!! Nice work!

The wood should be a bit lighter to perfectly match a woody, I agree. I googled "what kind of wood is an atari woody", and it found a thread here, but I don't actually have one to color match.

And I may just get that replacement faceplate!

• Like 1

BTW guys just in case you wanted to know:

top strip is 2 1/4 high X 11 3/16 wide (cartridge cutout area is in dotted lines: starting from bottom of strip, it is 1 3/4 high X 4 wide--find your center on 11 3/16 and measure out from there either way is how I did it)

middle strip is 2 1/8 high X 11 3/16 wide.

front strip I applied and then cut to fit ON the 7800....there is a nice casing edge line on the bottom front which you can run your blade all the way across to keep it straight. I started with a 1 1/2 high X 11 3/16 and then cut it down (dotted line on drawing below), it ends up being almost 1 1/4 high when you've cut it but again I recommend you cut it on the Atari to get the best fit.

The 7800 makes it very easy to apply all the decals....everything is pretty flat. For people unused to applying decals, first cut each of your decals to fit. Cut your main piece to 11 3/16 wide, then cut your three pieces to height FROM that. Line your decals up with the contact paper still on, and tape them down with tape "hinges" on either side of the top of the piece. Flip the piece up using the "hinges", and make sure it will easily fall back down right where you want it. Lift up the piece, remove the backing, and just let the piece down slowly. Smooth it out with a squeegee or something soft...it won't take much.

IMG_1231.jpg

Note 1: obviously you can put the logo anywhere you want if you bother with it. I would say, it took some pressure to get it to stick on the curve there. It wanted to curl off last night and I had to re-press it. Maybe I just didn't use enough pressure to begin with.

Note 2: You MIGHT be able to get away with making all the pieces 11 1/4 wide instead of 11 3/16...this would make finding center for the cartridge slot easier, btw. But you'll be RIGHT on either edge of the angled "shoulders" of the 7800. I hedged my bets and cut it a little short.

• Like 3

Rim tape? what do tney use it on?

I think they mean the steering wheel "rim"....the install video shows them using this stuff to do dashboards etc.

Those Atari logos are great. I just ordered three of those. I will find a use for them. Thanks.

I'm going to add an even bigger caveat emptor to those....the symbol part of mine is peeling bigtime since I applied it on the curve. I had to dab some super glue on the back and re-press. I've used the same vendors Nintendo logos 3 times with no issue (I dress up old controllers with them), but always use them flat. Never had this issue.

I'm going to add an even bigger caveat emptor to those....the symbol part of mine is peeling bigtime since I applied it on the curve. I had to dab some super glue on the back and re-press. I've used the same vendors Nintendo logos 3 times with no issue (I dress up old controllers with them), but always use them flat. Never had this issue.

Might I ask who sells the logos? I have an NES controller I converted over to 7800. I inked out the NES logo with black sharpie and created an Atari logo using a silver sharpie. It has since smeared badly. I should probably just clean it off with isopropyl but I need to tell the difference at a glance so I don't grab it to play NES and realise the plug is wrong.

Might I ask who sells the logos? I have an NES controller I converted over to 7800. I inked out the NES logo with black sharpie and created an Atari logo using a silver sharpie. It has since smeared badly. I should probably just clean it off with isopropyl but I need to tell the difference at a glance so I don't grab it to play NES and realise the plug is wrong.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/luknotebooksparts?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

I think for a flat application like that, it's perfectly fine. The material is actually fairly thick and rigid....it apparently does NOT like wrapping that curve on the 7800!

But I have used their NES logos flat to repurpose the front of old Beeshu Zipper controllers and they stick fine.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/luknotebooksparts?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

I think for a flat application like that, it's perfectly fine. The material is actually fairly thick and rigid....it apparently does NOT like wrapping that curve on the 7800!

But I have used their NES logos flat to repurpose the front of old Beeshu Zipper controllers and they stick fine.

Yeah I found that in the first post.

Unrelated, but I'm currently trying to place an order for multiple badges on ebay. The seller says on the item description to request total for shipping discount after committing to buy but before paying. I attemted to click the "request total from seller" button but ebay disallows it because the shipping is free. If I click checkout it goes straight to paypal, with no option to complete the order without paying. What should I do?

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 1

I have about 3/4 of a roll of mack tack left that is pretty much spot on for this. Got it at walmart for only $5.

Google tells me amazon has it for about the same price:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BPC2PK/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687602&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000KKIR0A&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0SHJBKATVGC95W8WQRYZ

A chopper, cool! How did you fuse the case?

EDIT: If the slipcover for my last game ever gets here, I will send you one of those silver Atari logo stickers back with it, I ordered 3 of them.

Sweet thanks. I used the lid from the trunk, dremiled it to size, painted it with krylon black and gorilla glue with super glue, sanded the edges to make them cleaner, and then another coat of black.

It's gonna take like 2 weeks for that cover to arrive. Letter mail from me to you is stupid fucking slow. :x

Note 1: obviously you can put the logo anywhere you want if you bother with it. I would say, it took some pressure to get it to stick on the curve there. It wanted to curl off last night and I had to re-press it. Maybe I just didn't use enough pressure to begin with.

Has the Atari logo sticker stayed put?