IGNORED

Talking about Raster Music Tracker (RMT)

vitoco

Hi.

Raster gave us a wonderful tool to compose and play music in our 8bit Atari computers. Thank you!

Although I googled for information about RMT, I could only find a couple of pages with some editor shortcuts, but no user manual or tutorial is available (AFAIK).

I've played with the songs included in the latest release, changing parameters and trying to guess what the result was, if any...

I'd like to compose something from scratch (including the design of the instruments), but I have no idea how to start.

There are many "obscure" things like the parameters (flags) inside rmt_feat.a65 config file, or the purpose of the frequency tables inside rmtplayr.a65.

I'd really apperciate if someone could share here some docs, reveal the secrets of the player, introduce things like the "song" concept or just tell us his experience using this music tracker.

Thanks!

• Like 1

I've not tried to toy with RMT yet myself, but it seems like the de-facto "gold standard" for music composition these days, so I'm definitely hoping there are (or will some day be) some tutorials for utter n00bs like me. I played with Chaos Music Composer, never enough to make real music, back in the 1990s. :-/

I'm also curious, was RMT's source ever released? With the untimely death of Radek, I worry about the communities ability to update the software.

What I'm trying to explain is that the result in RMT differs even in simple "atari waves" . So any song sounds different on the real thing.

But, this doesn't usually mean worse... or better. It's just the stability of the created sounds.

So, If you want to create something special in RMT, you always have to replay the resulting tune on a real machine, to compare whether it works, or sounds different.

The two examples were played on the ASMA ...

This one was recored from a real Atari:

A native soundtracker, running of a real machine, doesn't have this problem.

Edited by emkay
  • Like 1

A native soundtracker, running of a real machine, doesn't have this problem.

I am pretty sure I will regret this, but I am way too curious.

Some years ago, when I started to experimenting in writing a tracker to run ON the A8 and asked you for input, you said it is not worth it. Only a PC tool would be useful.

Now it seems you are saying something totally different?

BTW, the "Bankong knights" is cool.

Now it seems you are saying something totally different?

I'm just explaining one of the biggest flaws of RMT, that the emulations weren't really sounding like a real machine.

A PC tool is the only tool, to have people working on "A8" music, when they only use a PC and don't own a real A8 setup. There is no controversy ;)

a RMT network hack, which uses the PC editor but can keep an Atari in sync as a player would be pretty cool.

Should solve the editor comfort problem and the playback accuracy

And, when enough sound examples /Music were available, people could correct the emulations ...

apokeysnd seems closer to the real thing, but there are still volume and timing differences.

Also, the emulation seems to get interfered with any interrupt on the PC...

at the start and the end of the tune, there were "waveshape" glitches, pokey plays that stable.

• Like 1

@ emkay,

Why not doing a new try of your own compositions? 99% of your hundreds of tunes are all existing non-PoKey tunes, ported to RMT songs.

You know, back in those days.... the late 70s .... such pieces of sound would have been groundbraking. Today it is nothing special, and also , the response is rather low, because there is nothing more different than every person's taste of music.

btw.. taste of music

I never didn't bother about "Cats in the cradle", and I'm also not really satisfied with the sound of POKEY, but I like the result of the conversion, thinking of all the given limits ... and, well, YOUTUBE immediatly recognized the "original" tune ;)

• 2 weeks later...

About Tempo: is there a way to tweak the player or modify a song in a RMT file in real time, in order to play it at the same speed on both NTSC and PAL real hardware?

I'm trying to find a way not to have two versions of the same XEX program, just one that is able to adjust the speed based on the detected hardware.

BTW, RMT editor has an option to select between NTSC and PAL, but that's only during playback in the editor, AFAIK.

In your VBI or frame loop, you can skip every sixth call to the player to play a PAL RMT on an NTSC machine. If the tempo is not a multiple of 5 though you'll get some syncopation but it might not be too bad. If you can afford to burn CPU cycles you could poll VCOUNT to wait exactly 312 scanlines between calls to the player.