IGNORED

Things that need improving in Applewin

Keatah

Emulation works best when used side-by-side in conjunction with your real hardware. A complimentary tool. Some standout features

With Applewin there is practically no need for any of the accelerator cards. Transwarps, Rocketchips, ZipChips, ZipGSx.. In fact, emulation is superior to those boards because you can fine tube the amount of speed increase exactly as opposed to having 1 or 2 set settings to pick from. Not only that you get the same benefit of a hi-speed Z-80.

Good progress is also being made in NTSC display artifacts. Check the latest alpha version.

But there are several things missing in Applewin emulation for example:

1- Low-Level disk access and manipulation. Beginning with the inability to change disk volumes on a mounted image. And the timing is pretty bad too. Fast DOS' don't always operate at fast speeds. Or consistent speeds. Though you can cheat with the authentic/enhanced button - in a roundabout way.

2- Printing output, this isn't really implemented beyond text.

3- The ability to run programs from peripheral card roms, like firmware.

4- Not much hardware like modems (apple-cat or micromodem) are emulated, you have to use a serial port.

5-Clocks aren't well supported either.

6- This is a biggie, Applewin doesn't provide for any extra memory beyond 128K. Many applications related to Appleworks and Appleworks itself make use of RamWorks boards which can provide up to 6 or 8 MB of additional ram.

7- No support for cassette port input or output.

8- No support for video sync, thus RetroBall does not work.

9- No parallel card support. But there is good SuperSerialCard support.

#6 No memory expansion beyond 128K.

This can be fixed by adding the -r switch and number of 64K pages needed to an AppleWin shortcut. For example "-r 16" will give you 1024K of aux-memory expansion. This is mentioned in the help section of AppleWin. You just have to dig around a bit to find it.

• Like 2

#6 No memory expansion beyond 128K.

This can be fixed by adding the -r switch and number of 64K pages needed to an AppleWin shortcut. For example "-r 16" will give you 1024K of aux-memory expansion. This is mentioned in the help section of AppleWin. You just have to dig around a bit to find it.

Is this accessed like the RAMWORKS cards??? Or more like the Slinkey Cards??

MarkO

When I get home later I'll check it out. I can't wait to edit some MegaMonster Sized text files. Hopefully it works with AppleWorks and maybe the RamWorks patches. Must remember to RTFM.

Ditto for me...

MarkO

AppleWin.exe -r <number of pages>
Emulate a RAMworks III card with 1 to 127 pages (each page is 64K, giving a max of 8MB)

So it looks like RamWorks is the deal here.

I conducted some user-tests. I was able to create a 15614 block RamDisk in ProDOS.

I was able to use Copy II+ 9.1 to copy my MegaSlideShow (from BITD) to RamDisk and run it there just fine.

AppleWin seems to pass the AE RamWorks III Diagnostics and 2MEG Expander daughtercard diagnostics.

While I didn't actually do any AppleWorks things tonight I'm pretty sure they will work. Everything else.

post-4806-0-73940700-1435832722_thumb.pngpost-4806-0-27055200-1435832723_thumb.png

post-4806-0-72538400-1435832723_thumb.pngpost-4806-0-30756500-1435832722_thumb.png

Here are the diagnostics passing..

post-4806-0-64878200-1435832961_thumb.pngpost-4806-0-07069500-1435832962_thumb.png

post-4806-0-44398900-1435832962_thumb.pngpost-4806-0-82561500-1435832962_thumb.png

post-4806-0-23326500-1435832963_thumb.png

Of course this brief test didn't turn out to be all 100% perfect. This screen briefly flashes when you're in 80-column mode and access the RamDisk via "cat". It's alright in 40-column mode. This may be an issue with the ProDrive utility that Applied Engineering uses to construct and configure the RamDisk. The standard ProDos RamDisk doesn't do that. Maybe there is a later version of ProDrive or maybe a different version or ProDos needs to be used. However the DOS 3.3 version does it too.

In 80 column mode you get a temporarily garbled screen. This of course happening from the BASIC ] prompt.

post-4806-0-13955000-1435832964_thumb.png

In 40 column mode it's alright, and you get the inverted R for read or W for write.

post-4806-0-82271100-1435835757_thumb.png

Further narrowing down the problem, seems CATALOG PREFIX SAVE BLOAD and BSAVE also do it. Maybe other commands do too.

Let's call it the 80 column RamWorks bug.

So let's scratch #6, there seems to be RamWorks support. But still buggy. And we're going to have to add 2 more issues.

10- When using RamWorks III and ProDrive from an Expander disk, the 80-column becomes temporarily garbled when executing some DOS or ProDOS commands.

11- The godforsaken SELECT HDD1 and SELECT HDD2 buttons don't let you clear their text entry. And because of that, you can't swap or unplug an image between slots, HDD1 or HDD2. I'm sitt'n here for a whole 6 minutes trying to move one image from HDD2 to HDD1.. And what do I have to do? Delete the image and hide it from AppleWin. Then exit, and restart the emulator. Restore the image file. Then re-assign it! How fucked up is that?

LA'RETARD'O

----------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------

----------------

-----

-

I'd rather be playing Towers of Hanoi.

.•*´¨)
`¸.•´¸.•*´¨) Me too! ..yup
(¸.•´ (¸.• (~·´¯`·...¸><)))º> ^..^/////__

I have always found the hard disk to be quite "manual" in applewin

we had a pro file in the end of our pimped out IIe's life, but that came around 92 and the system went bye bye in 94 when the 486DX2 showed up and I bought my ATT turbo XT

now days I have a //c and when software plays nice with it I will use virtual serial drive and my little SD card server box, but then at the max I am only dealing with 2 disk images, and what goes on those images has been well filtered though applewin before going through the hassle of copying it over via cider press into the images located on the SD card (and 50% of the time finding out they bump the driver and crash the system lol, ah well its better than nothing on the //c)

Edited by Osgeld

2- Printing output, this isn't really implemented beyond text.

there was talk a couple 3 weeks ago on the comp.sys.apple2 newsgroup about taking a serial connection via serial to a PC and capturing it though a reader / render for the image writer epson engine to PDF, and for the most part it seemed like it was sucessful, but not without its gotcha's.

point being using said reader / render should be possible to use from any other source using the same output format

here's the thread via google groups

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.sys.apple2/emByCev_-20

Edited by Osgeld

• 1 month later...

What would be useful is a command line option like -d1, -d2, but for the hard disks. That would allow separate shortcuts to be created that start the emulator for Apple DOS 3.3 or for ProDOS. That is, as long as a blank path also stopped the hard drives being connected at all.

Edited by BigAlUK

• 3 weeks later...

The screen glitching accessing the RAMDisk is probably because of having the card banked somewhere alternate when a video refresh happens. On hardware, the video refresh always pulls from the first 64k of a RamWorks-type card; we emulate that in MAME/MESS for our 8 meg RamWorks emulation and it works well.

As far as printing support goes, I would love to see ImageWriter support with pages being saved as PNGs in a folder on the PC side. Probably the easiest way to implement what is really a very involved function, when you think about it.

I would also love the ability to remove a floppy, leaving the drive empty.

• 2 months later...