IGNORED

IntyBASIC Programming Contest Rules

I'd like to thank cmart604 for kindly offering the following prizes:

1st place:

• Prize winner gets to chose one console from the choice of Intellivision I, II or Sears (all CIB).
  • 30 pack of CIB common games.
  • Choice of D1K or D2K.
2nd place:
  • Prize winner gets to choose one console from the remaining choice of Intellivision I, II or Sears (all CIB) after the 1st prize winner has picked theirs.
  • 20 pack of CIB common games.
3rd place:
  • The remaining CIB console after 1st and 2nd prize winners have picked theirs.
  • 10 pack of CIB common games.

Wow! thanks cmart!

• Like 1

Goddamn. Now I have to enter. I'll never get a Sears console otherwise (without shelling out eight million dollars in Ebay customs charges).

Haha! Yes we suffer for our habit here on Canada don't we? That Global Shipping BS is about the worst thing that's happened to eBay in the last fifteen years. It used to be the case that I was only charged duty on maybe 5% of my purchases, now it's more like 95%. ?

• 2 months later...

Entries are coming into the official contest email address. Just a quick reminder :-

Your game(s) must be developed in IntyBASIC and use the default prologue/epilogue files. The only assembly language statement allowed within your game is the ORG statement so that you can develop a larger game. However, bank switching is not permitted.

Each entry into the contest must consist of the following items to be valid :-

• Game image in *.rom or *.bin+*.cfg.
  • Brief instructions on how to play the game.
  • IntyBASIC source code (and any data files).
  • Instructions on how to build the IntyBASIC source code (this must also include IntyBASIC compiler version number).
As part of the validation process, each entry's source code will be built using its instructions and the final binary produced must match the submitted binary image 100%. Any entry that fails this criteria will not be judged.

I'm a pinch late to the party here, I'm afraid... Next year (if there is a programming challenge for IntyBASIC) I will participate most definitely.

I have not downloaded the SDK or familiarized myself with the ins and outs of IntyBASIC, but it looks fantastic! Respect to the developers of this language, and good luck to all contestants!

• Like 1

Working on getting the TI-99/4A Holiday Demo program cassettes packaged and sent out this week. Will occupy most if not ALL of my free time. After that I need to finish a game project called "Jedi Gauntlet" so that I can do a full release of it in late January, early February. I will be releasing it on both cassette and cartridge. :)

Working on getting the TI-99/4A Holiday Demo program cassettes packaged and sent out this week. Will occupy most if not ALL of my free time. After that I need to finish a game project called "Jedi Gauntlet" so that I can do a full release of it in late January, early February. I will be releasing it on both cassette and cartridge. :)

If you decide to do anything in IntyBASIC in the future, just drop into our programmers section and ask away if you get stuck.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A few questions if I may?

"Your game(s) must be developed in IntyBASIC and use the default prologue/epilogue files. The only assembly language statement allowed within your game is the ORG statement so that you can develop a larger game. However, bank switching is not permitted."

I am using the "constants.bas" file. I also do manipulate content from it, such as $0200 in a 16-bit IntyBASIC variable to play with MOB visibility. Looking into others too. Is all this Ok?

As well, can someone give an example of illegal assembly language usage or illegal bank switching? Obviously rigging the ASM file would be something someone can do if not submitting the BAS source code.

"NTSC must be supported, with additional PAL support optional (but encouraged)."

This I know in video in FPS, resolution, etc. But how do I confirm this with video games, or rather, with IntyBASIC? The info I searched for didn't help much.

"All game ROMs below 1st prize (2nd, 3rd etc.) will be published after judging has been completed. However, if the 1st prize game is to be published by CollectorVision its ROM will be distributed after game sales have completed."

"Your entry must be submitted via email to contest@intybasic.com by the competition's closing date."

As I've mentioned in another thread, I don't think I'll be able to finish it by the deadline. It will be a fully functional and stand-alone game as is, and should give an excellent idea of inference to the objective, and a "to do list" will be included, but at that deadline, it likely will not be fully what I want.

For anyone that wins, updates will be a certainty after the deadline. That's fine.

But, the bottom line is that I am doing this for the love of the project - although nice, winning isn't the main objective. I want to finish this regardless.Having said that, can I still use this email address to post a "finished", or a "satisfied finished" ROM, say, a couple of weeks after the deadline? The reason is that if I don't win (which isn't an impossibility :grin: ) I would rather have this final ROM distributed to the community instead.

Thanks in advance to any help here. ;-)

A few questions if I may?

Sure!

I am using the "constants.bas" file. I also do manipulate content from it, such as $0200 in a 16-bit IntyBASIC variable to play with MOB visibility. Looking into others too. Is all this Ok?

The use of constants.bas and "magic numbers" are fine. Although, as a programmer in the real world, I avoid magic numbers whenever possible. Programming styles always vary so its not a mandatory requirement.

As well, can someone give an example of illegal assembly language usage or illegal bank switching? Obviously rigging the ASM file would be something someone can do if not submitting the BAS source code.

The example file 42k.bas shows the legal use of the "asm" command. That use is to generate new ROM segments to allow for larger games. Bank switching is not permitted at all in your contest entry.

This I know in video in FPS, resolution, etc. But how do I confirm this with video games, or rather, with IntyBASIC? The info I searched for didn't help much.

If you use "--pal" (without quotes) on the jzintv command line its a good approximation to running in PAL. I don't think the other emulators can emulate a PAL machine.

As I've mentioned in another thread, I don't think I'll be able to finish it by the deadline. It will be a fully functional and stand-alone game as is, and should give an excellent idea of inference to the objective, and a "to do list" will be included, but at that deadline, it likely will not be fully what I want.

Submitting a WIP is fine. We'll be able to get a good feel for the game from that.

For anyone that wins, updates will be a certainty after the deadline. That's fine.

But, the bottom line is that I am doing this for the love of the project - although nice, winning isn't the main objective. I want to finish this regardless.Having said that, can I still use this email address to post a "finished", or a "satisfied finished" ROM, say, a couple of weeks after the deadline? The reason is that if I don't win (which isn't an impossibility :grin: ) I would rather have this final ROM distributed to the community instead.

Feel free to work on your game after the contest. However do not submit any new work to the contest email address after the deadline. We will only judge what you managed to get done before the deadline.

Thanks in advance to any help here. ;-)

No probs!

It seems to me the word "published" may have at least two meanings here. The rules say that the 2nd, 3rd etc games will be published (posted for download, I assume) and that the winner may be published (made into a commercial release by CollectorVision), and if it isn't published, I assume it also will be published in the same manner as the runners-up.

While it isn't explicitely said so, it appears like anyone who entered the competition, agrees to have their game in current state posted for free download unless they win the competition. Many of us have already made our own threads and posted binaries along the ride, which are free to enjoy so that really isn't a matter for us, but perhaps it is a good time to set it straight so no bad feelings take place afterwards.

The rules you mentioned are :-

• The 1st prize winning game may be published by CollectorVision (should it's developer enter into an agreement to do so). This matter will be discussed privately with the parties concerned and if an agreement is reached a public announcement will be made later.

and

• All game ROMs below 1st prize (2nd, 3rd etc.) will be published after judging has been completed. However, if the 1st prize game is to be published by CollectorVision its ROM will be distributed after game sales have completed.

Both 2nd and 3rd prize winners will receive a single cart of their game.

To recap: all game ROMs entered into the contest will be published with the 1st prize winner ROM released at a later date (potentially). If the 1st prize winner agrees then their game will get a cart release via CollectorVision.

Hi GroovyBee. Your answers regarding technical (Assembly, NTSC/PAL, etc) were very helpful. Thank you for taking the time for that. :)

However, if I may ask for a bit more clearance, and also in light of Carlsson's post. I'm still not 100% on something.

What will be judged is what you submit by the contest's deadline. This is clear. I have no choice here, but nevertheless am at peace with this. I do believe my beta or WIP will give a good idea. Any extra work likely won't make a difference between "win" and "lose" anyway. And I think the judges will even enjoy it, whatever the outcome. :)

But the extra work means something to me. :)

As per the finished ROM of someone who does not win - we're talking about any upgrades they make AFTER the contest. Assuming they have a thread posted on their game - can this participant request a "publishing" of the game they post on their thread instead? And how does this apply to a 2nd and 3rd place finishing if your game makes it to cart?

We're talking about a ROM that didn't win, which is why I don't think such a request to "publish" an updated version would be unreasonable. Please tell me if I am out of line - not trying to be difficult. I will be cool with whatever, but would like to know in advance. :)

Well, at worst, I can always offer a finished ROM for download, and make the distinction between "contest entry/pilot edition" and "official edition". ;)

(I should get cracking and put together my thread. Soon, very soon! :-D )

Hi GroovyBee. Your answers regarding technical (Assembly, NTSC/PAL, etc) were very helpful. Thank you for taking the time for that. :)

However, if I may ask for a bit more clearance, and also in light of Carlsson's post. I'm still not 100% on something.

What will be judged is what you submit by the contest's deadline. This is clear. I have no choice here, but nevertheless am at peace with this. I do believe my beta or WIP will give a good idea. Any extra work likely won't make a difference between "win" and "lose" anyway. And I think the judges will even enjoy it, whatever the outcome. :)

But the extra work means something to me. :)

As per the finished ROM of someone who does not win - we're talking about any upgrades they make AFTER the contest. Assuming they have a thread posted on their game - can this participant request a "publishing" of the game they post on their thread instead? And how does this apply to a 2nd and 3rd place finishing if your game makes it to cart?

We're talking about a ROM that didn't win, which is why I don't think such a request to "publish" an updated version would be unreasonable. Please tell me if I am out of line - not trying to be difficult. I will be cool with whatever, but would like to know in advance. :)

Well, at worst, I can always offer a finished ROM for download, and make the distinction between "contest entry/pilot edition" and "official edition". ;)

(I should get cracking and put together my thread. Soon, very soon! :-D )

I can see that the double use of "publish" could be confusing.

For the first place, publish means put on cart in a box and released for sale in quantities IF the winner and CollectorVision agree (I would also expect more work to be done to polish the game if needed prior to putting it on cart.)

2nd and 3rd will get a one off cart version of their entry.

The term publish for all others means there will be a contest results thread where all entries will be posted.

There are bonus points awarded for putting source code in a thread of your own before contest close, as long the submitted entry code is available I don't see why you couldn't post successive updated versions after the contest is judged, in your own thread.

When we announce the results there will be a thread with scores, judges comments, screenshots and the final ROM received (before the deadline) for all valid entries. That way it all tallies. If developers want to continue with their game after the official deadline that is completely fine. If they have a winning entry they will be encouraged to develop and polish it even further before it goes onto cart.