IGNORED

Graphics Resize Preview?

Hey all. While noodling with a MOB concept, I created a 16hx8w pixel image in Windows with two colors and a black background. I am now trying to find a program/method that will resize it into an 8x8 image without anti-aliasing or other "tricks". I just want to squish the image so I can preview it before I convert it into a proper sequence of GRAM blocks.

Because I used two colors while painting, I understand that the final thing in my game will use four characters, but for now I just want to draw and preview and stay in Windows (GUI or command line makes no difference to me). I think this is the most expedient way to think through how a MOB will look when it is actually in a game, but I am open to all alternative ideas...

Thanks.

post-31694-0-78865700-1435769451.gif

Hey all. While noodling with a MOB concept, I created a 16hx8w pixel image in Windows with two colors and a black background. I am now trying to find a program/method that will resize it into an 8x8 image without anti-aliasing or other "tricks". I just want to squish the image so I can preview it before I convert it into a proper sequence of GRAM blocks.

Because I used two colors while painting, I understand that the final thing in my game will use four characters, but for now I just want to draw and preview and stay in Windows (GUI or command line makes no difference to me). I think this is the most expedient way to think through how a MOB will look when it is actually in a game, but I am open to all alternative ideas...

Thanks.

attachicon.giflu.gif

GIMP has a resize function that has an option to not antialias when resizing
  • Like 2

GIMP has a resize function that has an option to not antialias when resizing

Yep. Under "Scale Image," set your "Interpolation" to "None."

If you're trying to preview what the "half-height" pixels will look like, you might instead consider stretching it horizontally from 16h x 8w to 16h x 16w. If you smash it down to 8x8, it'll throw pixels away, and so you won't see the contribution of half of the lines to the result. Stretching to 16x16 will give you the correct aspect ratio and keep all the pixels.

You'll still want to set your interpolation mode to 'none', if using GIMP.

• Like 1

Yep. Under "Scale Image," set your "Interpolation" to "None."

If you're trying to preview what the "half-height" pixels will look like, you might instead consider stretching it horizontally from 16h x 8w to 16h x 16w. If you smash it down to 8x8, it'll throw pixels away, and so you won't see the contribution of half of the lines to the result. Stretching to 16x16 will give you the correct aspect ratio and keep all the pixels.

You'll still want to set your interpolation mode to 'none', if using GIMP.

i was slacking messing around and you beat me to the punch. I was gonna gonna say just make all horizontal pixels 2 pixels wide and you can see it without trying to stretch or resize to 16x16. If you use paint.net you have to just turn off antialiased selection quality setting it to pixelated selection quality. I like to start by making it 16x16 so i already know what it looks like then shrink it to 8x16 Edited by pimpmaul69
  • Like 1

i was slacking messing around and you beat me to the punch. I was gonna gonna say just make all horizontal pixels 2 pixels wide and you can see it without trying to stretch or resize to 16x16. If you use paint.net you have to just turn off antialiased selection quality setting it to pixelated selection quality. I like to start by making it 16x16 so i already know what it looks like then shrink it to 8x16

I do same as pimpmaul69, drawing in 16x16 being careful about keeping pixels duplicated horizontally.