IGNORED

New (alt) BIOS for Ultimate 1MB/Incognito

This bit from the manual?

A side-effect of the ATR Swap Button being enabled is that the external cartridge is suppressed. This is normally desired behaviour when using SIDE PBI hard disk emulation (since SIDE’s cartridge ROM is not usable when the PBI HDD is

enabled), but if you wish to use the High-Speed SIO feature of the PBI BIOS with some other external cartridge, the ATR Swap Button must be disabled.

We ran into this before as well:

Hard disk enabled, button enabled should do it: nothing's changed in that respect. This will obscure the external cartridge.

However, it's a detail which is easily forgotten. I will write it in red letters somewhere. :)

Hi Jon.

Great new features to test :) thank you.

But I've one problem: after upgrading to latest bios/pbi/loader Side Loader is unable to access directories on FAT32 partition. After the loader is started it's showing root directory of my FAT32 partition and when I try to open some directory it stalls for a moment and then shows "No Entries" (same with pbi switched off).

Older version of Side loader (started from Side1 cart) can open all files and works fine with this card. Filesystem check shown no errors, earlier I also re-created the filesystem to be sure that it's not damaged, but that's not it.

W.

I got things working well enough but I did run into more strangeness. Unfortunately I cannot remember the details nor do I really want to try and munge it up again. But I promise, if I experience any more of it I will do my best to report and document.

But I've one problem: after upgrading to latest bios/pbi/loader Side Loader is unable to access directories on FAT32 partition. After the loader is started it's showing root directory of my FAT32 partition and when I try to open some directory it stalls for a moment and then shows "No Entries" (same with pbi switched off).

Older version of Side loader (started from Side1 cart) can open all files and works fine with this card. Filesystem check shown no errors, earlier I also re-created the filesystem to be sure that it's not damaged, but that's not it.

Can you ZIP up a raw copy of the whole card and send it across? If it works here, then at least we can eliminate software problems.

Hi Jon.

Great new features to test :) thank you.

W.

I have the exact same problem. The SIDE loader on incognito works fine, but not on the SIDE / SIDE2 carts. My directories are full of .xex files.

Frank

Hey Jon. I'm afraid I did it again with the SDX 4.48 release. I flashed it without selecting size, and now, I can still get the Loader, but no SDX boot. I made an ATR of X32D.DOS, UFLASH, and the SDX ROM. Then I got the message about RAM under OS. I finally resorted to MyDOS (ick), and got the message to Enable SDX.

Do I need to pull the chip and get out the Programmer, or is there a simpler way?

I'm only assuming size was the problem. I used the official U1M/Incognito release, but used UFLASH instead of the flasher provided.

Has anyone else experienced this with an Incognito?

Edit: Spelling error (fat finger)

Edited by Kyle22

OK, after re-reading what I just wrote, I want to make it very clear that the size of my file was LARGER than the system was expecting.

:)

Edit: I know how brutal you guys can be...

Oh so you flashed the 128k file.. when you had the size set to 96K??

I am not sure Jon has made the 96K resized version yet.. but yes.. I too have to wait for it. As for where you are now.. thats Jon's department.

fingers crossed for you.

James

If it's helpful 1.05 doesn't have this problem.

I don't have any in between versions handy

Just to be clear: does the loader appear to think the card is ejected at any stage? Another user sent me a verbatim copy of a CF card exhibiting problems in the loader, and I was not able to replicate any issue. About the only thing which changed which might cause a problem was handling of card ejection/hot-swapping, but unless the loader reports "waiting for media" and displays the ticking timer, this is unlikely to be the cause.

If anyone (else) who experienced issues is able to send me compressed raw images of their CF card, this would be most helpful. The loader was tested on five different machines (4 x U1MB and 1 x Incognito) before release, but always with the same media (a 4GB Sandisk card packed with FAT16, FAT32, and APT partitions). Directory tree traversal did not prove problematic, but if some hardware is displaying unusual, unhandled behaviour, then it needs to be identified.

Hey Jon. I'm afraid I did it again with the SDX 4.48 release. I flashed it without selecting size, and now, I can still get the Loader, but no SDX boot. I made an ATR of X32D.DOS, UFLASH, and the SDX ROM. Then I got the message about RAM under OS. I finally resorted to MyDOS (ick), and got the message to Enable SDX.

Do I need to pull the chip and get out the Programmer, or is there a simpler way?

I'm only assuming size was the problem. I used the official U1M/Incognito release, but used UFLASH instead of the flasher provided.

Has anyone else experienced this with an Incognito?

I'm not quite sure I understand what happened here. If you try to flash a 256KB SDX image to a 192KB SDX slot, it should be rejected before any flashing takes place. Likewise if you try to flash a 192KB SDX image to a 256KB SDX slot. But even if you disabled the size check manually, flashing the wrong sized image should not cause any issue at all, unless one immediately overwrote the back end of the SDX ROM with a GOS ROM and the SDX image happened to contain critical data in the last eight banks.

Moreoever, the flasher rejects any SDX ROM which lacks the SDX signature bytes, so it's fairly puzzling how you could end up with a non-booting SDX. I really don't think it has anything to do with the variable SDX size, unless a number of ill-advised steps were studiously performed.

Send me a PM and you can test the version of UFlash which has the SDX signature check removed. This should enable flashing via the SDX loader, even if the SDX ROM is completely munged.

Oh so you flashed the 128k file.. when you had the size set to 96K??

I am not sure Jon has made the 96K resized version yet.. but yes.. I too have to wait for it. As for where you are now.. thats Jon's department.

192KB. I am waiting on DLT to provide suitable SDX imaging software in order to prepare the 192KB and 320KB versions.

I have two CF cards with very similar software on them; loaded with xex files; both FAT32.

Both work with the side loader in Incognito v1.0.8. Neither work in U1MB side loader 1.08. They both work in U1MB side loader 1.05

Thanks for the info. The only differences between the Incognito loader and the SIDE loader are:

1) The SIDE loader is able to reset the card (Incognito has no card reset facility)

2) The SIDE loader handles card hot-swapping

Apart from that, they are identical. So the finger (somehow) points to card removal detection, in some unspecified way.

There's no difference between SIDE1 and SIDE2 carts, is there Frankie? SIDE1 lacks the card removal bit, so expect behaviour to be different if there are issues.

EDIT: Indeed it must be different, since by switching to a SIDE1 in emulation (I don't have a physical SIDE1 cart), I can make problems appear.

Edited by flashjazzcat

Please try this:

uldr108b.zip

U1MB only (I'll make SIDE builds once we get things fixed).

Only a tiny change here which avoids an accidental spurious write to the SIDE2's card removal register address even if the device was a SIDE1. Created issues in the emulator, so I guess it would create issues on real hardware too.

EDIT: this fix works for one user (thanks Wiktor!).

Edited by flashjazzcat