IGNORED

New (alt) BIOS for Ultimate 1MB/Incognito

prior to their addition, RD4/RD5 resistors were required on the MMU cable itself to protect the CPLD from 5V

Do I understand right that the cable connectors from the new Ultimate boards to the MMU socket are different from the old ones?

I thought that they are just 1:1 cables...

Do I understand right that the cable connectors from the new Ultimate boards to the MMU socket are different from the old ones?

I thought that they are just 1:1 cables...

Yes the cables are the same as to what signal goes where, but the Candle vs Lotharek U1MB boards are different concerning the RD4 and RD5 connections. With the Candle 'black' board requiring the insertion of 180 ohm resistors inline between the A8 motherboard and the U1MB, whereas the Lotharek board has these resistors built-in.

For those that don't know, the RD4 and RD5 signals tell the system whether an inserted cartridge is either 8k or 16k by simply routing 5vdc to the MMU. And as Jon already stated, without the resistors inline this voltage can damage the CPLD inputs on the U1MB.

- Michael

• Like 5

Well I have no idea - I'm pretty sure that I ordered it via lotharek but in any case it looks exactly like this:

IMG_0771.jpg

(verified by popping the lid and taking a look inside.

(...)

I need a spare board EXACTLY like this one (initial Candle version that required in-line resistors on connecting ribbon-cable).

If anyone reading has an extra one (in perfect working order), please, let me know.

Cheers!

With the Candle 'black' board requiring the insertion of 180 ohm resistors inline between the A8 motherboard and the U1MB

Thank you for the explanation. Now I got it. Jon wrote about MMU cable, so I was a little bit confused.

I remember that the cart could damage Candle's Ultimate boards, so Candle has eventually described in the installation manual additional change with 2 resisitors on the mainboard.

• 4 months later...

I went to upgrade my Incognito 800 today, and am running into "Cannot identify hardware". I've tried booting off a disk image and using the Side loader to run uflash, but end up with the same issues each time.

The PBI Bios is showing as 1.61 and the Incognito BIOS is showing as 1.00. Any ideas on where to start troubleshooting? The machine appears to be working fine, except for the fact that I can't run almost anything from the NYD2018 set of discs. That's the reason I started down the path to upgrade.

I'm using Incognito_Firmware_Update_071216 from Jon's site.

• 1 month later...

Bump--to remind you that a few days is over.

So it is, but unfortunately getting the firmware ready and tested for three completely different platforms is taking longer than hoped. :) Regarding UFLASH: I have just about given up fully supporting these ancient BIOS revisions, but I'll PM Gozar to try and work through his issues. ;)

I think the posted bump was to be cheerful in nature and to follow up on the remind me's that are often posted or the I forgot's because of so many irons in the fire. I'm taking it in that fashion. I little jovial quip would have set the tone and mood and it would be okay... I'm guilty of coming off wrongly plenty of times myself...

Implicit joviality is very difficult to convey in economically written forum posts without the use of emoticons, so we must rely on context and what we know of the character of the author. I guessed Roy's post was friendly and responded accordingly, even using two emoticons, so it should be clear that there is no problem at all.

EDIT: Regarding Gozar's issue: he was already running the alt firmware so my guesses about ROM signature detection problems were way off the mark. Eventually we figured out that SDX was disabled in the settings, making ROM identification and flashing impossible (since the banking register is taken off the bus). I'll add a note to the manual that SDX must be enabled in the BIOS for flashing purposes, since this is by no means obvious to the user.

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 6

I think the posted bump was to be cheerful in nature and to follow up on the remind me's that are often posted or the I forgot's because of so many irons in the fire. I'm taking it in that fashion. I little jovial quip would have set the tone and mood and it would be okay... I'm guilty of coming off wrongly plenty of times myself...

In that case it's all good.

I wasn't sure where to post this question, but thought someone reading this would be able to help. I just installed a new U1MB in my 800XL and seems to work fine, other than I can't seem to see more than 4 banks available in SDX. The expanded RAM works because applications can use it, but I can't seem to get SDX to see it. The MEM command shows 4 banks available. I've tried every memory config from the configuration menu.

Nope. Can someone post a sample of what needs to change? Am I supposed to put the modified config.sys on D1:? I didn't think I could modify the CAR: file.

You can modify the SDX rom file using the Windows-only SDX Imager tool. Once you've modified the file, you can use Jon's UFLASH tool to re-flash the modified rom to the U1MB. The better solution is to use the option in his current BIOS versions to set CONFIG.SYS to whatever drive you want. I usually point mine to D5:. On my systems with a SIDE2 cart, that's the first partition on my CF card. Same thing with my current 1088XEL and XEL-CF adapter. The copy of CONFIG.SYS on D5: can be edited and saved as necessary.

You can modify the SDX rom file using the Windows-only SDX Imager tool. Once you've modified the file, you can use Jon's UFLASH tool to re-flash the modified rom to the U1MB. The better solution is to use the option in his current BIOS versions to set CONFIG.SYS to whatever drive you want. I usually point mine to D5:. On my systems with a SIDE2 cart, that's the first partition on my CF card. Same thing with my current 1088XEL and XEL-CF adapter. The copy of CONFIG.SYS on D5: can be edited and saved as necessary.

Thanks for the advice. I flashed the new BIOS but I think you are talking about changing the boot drive in the PBI menu. I don't have a PBI device. In fact, I don't have a way to load a file larger than 90K so I can't re-flash SDX with a modified config.sys. I'm an SDX novice though so I need help on how to boot with a config.sys on D1:, if that's even possible.

In Jon's current BIOS options for the U1MB, there's a PBI BIOS. You don't need to have a PBI device to use these options. On that screen, if you enable the PBI BIOS, you'll be able to specify the drive you want CONFIG.SYS to reside upon. See p. 11 of Jon's documentation here:

http://atari8.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Ultimate-1MB-and-Incognito-BIOS-and-XEX-Loader.pdf

:dunce: It's actually quite dumb. I didn't realize the ramdrive is D0: by default. In the past I've configured it as D8: using SDX on an atarimax cart. So I really had the drive configured the whole time.

I figured out a way to flash SDX448 using my sdrive2 that's limited to 90k atr's. I split the 256k rom into 4 parts and put it on 4 atr's. I then copied the files to the ramdrive and put them back together. I was able to flash the u1mb from the file on the ramdrive. :) Hopefully the sdrive2 firmware get's updated someday to properly support large atr's.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I used to put the resistors in the cable itself. Xilinx CPLD was supposed to be 5V tolerant, but it was discovered the hard way that it wasn't after all.

Hi Jon,

what resistor values do you use?

My Atari with the UItimate 1MB and with VBXE (both from Candle) is dead since a few months and I recently decided to take a new motherboard and upgrade it with the extensions taken away from the dead Atari.

Luckily everything seems to work well, besides the issue, that I already experienced with the old machine (when it was still working).

The following carts do not work properly: The!Cart and MyIDE II (all others do). Back in time Jürgen (tfhh) was looking at the cart signals of my Atari with an oscilloscope and pointed out that some of them were not stable, meaning that my Ultimate 1MB was not be working perfectly...

Maybe it is related to those resistors? I simply took them over (didn't even measured them). If I remember well, they were originally provided by Candle.

Regards

Marcin