IGNORED

New (alt) BIOS for Ultimate 1MB/Incognito

You don't have one? Well, your determination to take the path less trodden without disaster recovery is to be admired.

:)

No... I ordered one from the far east back in the summer but it never showed up.

If the U1MB flash chip will fit the old ASUS motherboard BIOS socket I might have a try at doing it that way at some point. The A7n... boards were excellent in that regards - you could pretty much flash anything you wanted that would fit. It took a little nerve to hot-swap the EPROM though!

You don't have one? Well, your determination to take the path less trodden without disaster recovery is to be admired.

Can the *.ROM file that Altirra saves as <whatever>.rom when saving the BIOS from its emulation of an U1MB be flashed directly on to the real U1MB's eprom? If so I think I'm in business as the chip will fit in the BIOS socket on my Linux server. I think 'flashrom' will do what is required.

UPDATE:

Arrgh! I thought that was going to work. The eprom fits and it hot-swaps without any trouble. However the flasher electronics are clearly too old to recognize the unit from the Ultimate1MB.

Does the SIDE2 take the same eeprom? If so would it be possible to use it to flash the one from the Ultimate1MB?

Yes, you can put the flash ROM in the SIDE2, but the trick will be booting from it in order to get the flasher running with the banking register open.

Hmmm... I can easily detach the Ultimate1MB and put the old chips back in. The problem then would be booting from the SIDE2 without its own eeprom providing the code... Alternately I could just boot as a totally stock 800XL, running uflash from a disk image on the SIO2SD - but the moment I put the SIDE2 in it would cause the Atari to crash and on reboot the SIDE2 again would not have its own eeprom.

I don't suppose I could just set the switch on the SIDE2 to the down position and boot from it - without removing the Ultimate1MB and then just flash in place?

No - I think it will have to be a TL866CS from a British seller at some point in the new year. The week before Christmas is not the time for splashing out on new electronics!!!

• Like 1

Yes, you can put the flash ROM in the SIDE2, but the trick will be booting from it in order to get the flasher running with the banking register open.

What about... temporarily uninstalling the Ultimate1MB, booting from the SIDE2, running uFlash from an *.ATR on the SIO2SD and then flashing the "Ultimate1MB" ROM on to the SIDE2 eeprom? Then dismantle the SIDE 2, swap its eprom to the Ultimate1MB and reassemble before finally putting the currently duff eprom in to the SIDE2 for reflashing in turn once the machine boots from the Ultimate1MB? Musical chairs with eproms!!!

Good solution. You'll only get one crack at it, however, so plan carefully. I'm not even sure uflash's SIDE flashing is sufficiently well tested to risk on this. Get the SDX flashing ATR for SIDE2 and replace the 256KB SDX file with the complete 512KB Ultimate ROM file. The SDX flasher should keep going until all 64 banks are flashed.

Good solution. You'll only get one crack at it, however, so plan carefully. I'm not even sure uflash's SIDE flashing is sufficiently well tested to risk on this. Get the SDX flashing ATR for SIDE2 and replace the 256KB SDX file with the complete 512KB Ultimate ROM file. The SDX flasher should keep going until all 64 banks are flashed.

Excellent! I'll have a bash at that tomorrow - once I've worked out how to get in to the SIDE2 case that is!!!

Sadly when I try this, renaming the 'Ultimate1MB' rom file to "SDX44DE2.rom" I get a message stating 'ERROR: improper ROM file!'. If I attempt to press on with doing this via uFlash it gives me the error 'insufficient' RAM - which of course without the U1MB functioning is impossible to overcome as well...

Is there a version of the flash writer used by the SDX update disks that does not test the checksum of its supplied ROM file before agreeing to flash?

Sadly when I try this, renaming the 'Ultimate1MB' rom file to "SDX44DE2.rom" I get a message stating 'ERROR: improper ROM file!'. If I attempt to press on with doing this via uFlash it gives me the error 'insufficient' RAM - which of course without the U1MB functioning is impossible to overcome as well...

Is there a version of the flash writer used by the SDX update disks that does not test the checksum of its supplied ROM file before agreeing to flash?

OK. Try this if you're feeling brave.

1. Boot machine with Ultimate disabled/removed, SIDE2 attached, switch in SDX position. SDX should boot.

2. Attach an ATR (on D1:, via SIO2SD) containing the complete 512KB Ultimate ROM and the latest copy of UFlash.

3. Type D1:UFLASH.XEX at the SDX prompt.

4. If SIDE2 isn't recognized, select it manually. If it's still not seen, stop here and make a cup of tea.

5. Otherwise, if SIDE2 is detected, select the name of the flash ROM (the top entry), press enter, and navigate to your 512KB Ultimate ROM file.

6. Flash SIDE2 with the file.

7. Put flash ROM from SIDE2 into Ultimate, install, and boot machine.

Just tried this in Altirra and it worked, so it's worth a shot if you have no other options. Of course you need an Atari with 1MB of RAM in it which powers up, so it might not be much good if your only 1 meg machine is the Ultimate one.

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 1

1. Boot machine with Ultimate disabled/removed, SIDE2 attached, switch in SDX position. SDX should boot.

2. Attach an ATR (on D1:, via SIO2SD) containing the complete 512KB Ultimate ROM and the latest copy of UFlash.

4. If SIDE2 isn't recognized, select it manually. If it's still not seen, stop here and make a cup of tea.

5. Otherwise, if SIDE2 is detected, select the name of the flash ROM (the top entry), press enter, and navigate to your 512KB Ultimate ROM file.

Just tried this in Altirra and it worked, so it's worth a shot if you have no other options. Of course you need an Atari with 1MB of RAM in it which powers up, so it might not be much good if your only 1 meg machine is the Ultimate one.

Working from a 64kB 800XL emulated machine - effectively my hardware without the Ultimate1MB - I get 'Error 179 Memory Conflict' at stage 3... Which makes sense having just re-read your post and digested the last line. As you say - my only working machine is the one with the - not working - U1MB.

I don't suppose anyone could hack the SDX flasher to remove its checksum test could they?

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/222507-apt-update-for-ultimate-incognito-side-and-compatibles/?p=2938232

This tread has a file I used to unbrick my ultimate in the past.. file is called ULTSDX , just put it into an SIO2PC device AspeQT or SIO2SD card and run it. If it works for you then you are back to using the UFLASH.XEX tool to fill in the rest of the rom..

That one just flashes the SDX part, and unfortunately also requires 576KB of RAM. I could write something which reads the BIN in small chunks direct from FAT, which would probably be useful in situations like these. You'd then be able to flash the whole SIDE cart direct from the XEX loader without any extended RAM or SIO2xxx device. In the meantime I guess patching the SDX flasher will be Morelenmir's best hope (aside from ordering the flasher Kyle Dain linked to, ASAP).

Edited by flashjazzcat

Many thanks guys for all these suggestions! I may be able to disassemble the SDX flasher and jump around the checksum test, but that is a lot of work and right on the edge of what I am currently able to do with Atari ASM.

Most likely though I think it will come down to buying a USB flasher exactly like the one Kyle linked to - although I think I will get a local one just to make the postage more secure. It will have to be some point in the New Year.

Should probably have its own thread, but here's a quick build of the same loader posted earlier for the SIDE2 cartridge:

SIDE2 Loader 0.31.zip

What immediately strikes me about it is that ATRs should probably be completely eliminated from the file list rather than greyed out when there's no means of mounting them.

Anyway: disable SDX and PBI in Ultimate BIOS setup, put the SIDE's switch into the lower (SDX) position, boot from SIDE2 into SDX, run the copy of UFLASH.XEX from the archive using SIO2XXX or whatever you prefer, manually select SIDE2 hardware, cursor to "External cartridge", press Enter, and navigate to "LOADER.ROM". The ROM file has 240KB of padding, BTW (the loader itself only being 16KB long).

Thereafter you can run the loader with "CAR" from SDX or automatically by putting the SIDE switch into the upper (loader) position.

Obviously this is primarily aimed at people using SIDE2 as a stand-alone device, but I'll make a separate thread for it when I get any bugs ironed out (such as dimmed files un-dimming while directories are read).

Regarding Morelenmir's issue: since the SIDE Loader has a read-only FAT file system entirely in RAM, it's safe to call the CIO while the flash ROM is in programming mode, so a quick tool which simply opens the file and programs it in 4KB chunks shouldn't take long.

• Like 2

Should probably have its own thread, but here's a quick build of the same loader posted earlier for the SIDE2 cartridge:

attachicon.gifSIDE2 Loader 0.31.zip

What immediately strikes me about it is that ATRs should probably be completely eliminated from the file list rather than greyed out when there's no means of mounting them.

Anyway: disable SDX and PBI in Ultimate BIOS setup, put the SIDE's switch into the lower (SDX) position, boot from SIDE2 into SDX, run the copy of UFLASH.XEX from the archive using SIO2XXX or whatever you prefer, manually select SIDE2 hardware, cursor to "External cartridge", press Enter, and navigate to "LOADER.ROM". The ROM file has 240KB of padding, BTW (the loader itself only being 16KB long).

Thereafter you can run the loader with "CAR" from SDX or automatically by putting the SIDE switch into the upper (loader) position.

Obviously this is primarily aimed at people using SIDE2 as a stand-alone device, but I'll make a separate thread for it when I get any bugs ironed out (such as dimmed files un-dimming while directories are read).

Regarding Morelenmir's issue: since the SIDE Loader has a read-only FAT file system entirely in RAM, it's safe to call the CIO while the flash ROM is in programming mode, so a quick tool which simply opens the file and programs it in 4KB chunks shouldn't take long.

This is an extremely useful tool in its own right and I can only thank you again for continuing to work on a dodge to get around my own problems with the BIOS.

Just flashed my side2 card and also ultimate1mb according to instructions given. All seems to be fine. The only problem is that I can not launch any xex game/demo from the loader. Atr work just fine. For example numen.atr run ok but numen.xex shows just a black screen. One way or other it freeze every xex file I was attemting to launch. These xex files were working with previous version of side2/ultimate1mb bios.

Am I missing some very basics in settings or so? Thank you.