IGNORED

New (alt) BIOS for Ultimate 1MB/Incognito

Thank you.

On my real hardware it loads, but when I press any key to start the game, a black screen appears.

I just now tried it on my UM1 800xl and it loaded and after key press I get title screen press option to turn off Multijoy (because there is just me) and press start.

and MASH die.

Way to fast for my joystick..

• Like 3

I just now tried it on my UM1 800xl and it loaded and after key press I get title screen press option to turn off Multijoy (because there is just me) and press start.

and MASH die.

Way to fast for my joystick..

Thank you Roy.

Do you tested it with U1MB + Side 2 with latest Jon's firmware?

Thank you Roy.

Do you tested it with U1MB + Side 2 with latest Jon's firmware?

Yes u1mb+side2 loader #36 (press and key to load game) then Start Select for selection of options Option to change Start to Start

Black screen only for about 3 seconds.. Then the Title screen comes up and press START

• Like 1

Update, including "scrolling" loader for Incognito:

attachicon.gifIncognito Beta BIOS 0.49.zip

attachicon.gifUltimate 1MB Beta BIOS 0.49.zip

A fair bit of code revision has gone on in the BIOS and one or two experimental features added. Both builds have been tested on the corresponding real hardware, but do please let me know about any glitches. Ultimate loader has changed since the previous update to the tune of one minor bug-fix.

I updated the U1MB in my 800XL tonight and I have to tell you, Jon - fabulous work all around. Your new SIDE loader is beautiful and much quicker/more user-friendly than the one built into my SIDE2 cart. Lovely work, man. Thank you.

• Like 1

Maybe this is answered before, but cannot find it...

I updated all the three roms as per in the manual, but the side loader cannot recognize my drive (I did the power cycle several times):

post-7022-0-44484500-1454253865_thumb.jpg

The info screen looks like this:

post-7022-0-49923900-1454253900_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your help in advance!

Cheers,

Jozsi

By combo, you mean HW? Yes, this HW worked fine before the update.

Yeah: the hardware combination of SIDE cart, CF card, etc. I'd describe the situation as: the original loader was able to cope with hardware instability apparent from the screenshot in a way which the new loader cannot. I think the old loader polled the IDE status register after each byte read, which the new loader does not. I experienced the exact same issue with the first version of the SDX MYIDE driver: reading status after each by transferred was the only way to get reliable reads until I modified the MYIDE cart so that it actually worked properly. At that point, I was able to remove the superfluous status register read and double the throughput.

So: I can either add more code to the loader to facilitate a "slow load" option, or we can try and figure out why the hardware doesn't work as it's supposed to.

Seems to be a false alarm, sorry. I left my computer plugged off for more than 30 minutes, and now works fine (previously I only waited 30secs) Sorry.

And congratulations for the great work!

Glad to hear it works, but see my previous note. Perhaps there's a dry joint somewhere which is closing up when components warm up a little.

I can confirm, that t works after turned off for more than one hour. (cold computer)

Testing continuously (computer is warming)

One thing I found: though I set basic disabled in side loader, when booting with a xex file selected, I still have to press option to turn basic off. At least "Yoomp" claimed, that the basic has to be off.

I can confirm, that t works after turned off for more than one hour. (cold computer)

Testing continuously (computer is warming)

Good. When I finish a machine I've gotten into the habit of running stability tests immediately after power on and then again a couple of hours later. Once or twice I've come back to a warm machine which was all ready to be packaged up only to find it's inexplicably locked up, and that more work is required. :)

One thing I found: though I set basic disabled in side loader, when booting with a xex file selected, I still have to press option to turn basic off. At least "Yoomp" claimed, that the basic has to be off.

Just tested this (with Yoomp!) and cannot duplicate. Which version of Yoomp! is it? PAL/NTSC ATR or XEX?

Make sure you have loader version 0.35 as well.

Edited by flashjazzcat

All is working well for me on the Incognito. I have noticed a few odd things, though. Is it normal that:

1> The startup progress bar now goes backwards.

2> The screensaver setting does nothing.

3> I was able to flash BASIC ROM with Flash writes disabled in BIOS.

BIOS .49

Loader .36

PBI 1.55

It is V1.1 PAL. Please find attached the video of the boot process.

Thanks. It's puzzling, since the same scenario works OK here. Can you send me the Yoomp! XEX just so I can test it here?

Is it normal that:

1> The startup progress bar now goes backwards.

2> The screensaver setting does nothing.

3> I was able to flash BASIC ROM with Flash writes disabled in BIOS.

1. Yes. I changed it since it's actually a countdown timer, so it seemed appropriate.

2. Depends what you're expecting it to do. :) What happens if you set it to five minutes and then leave the machine unattended (with the BIOS menu displayed) for at least five minutes?

3. The flash write lock probably hasn't even been tested on real hardware. It's entirely possible that it's implemented in the VHDL but doesn't work for some reason, but I will check. The flash lock worked in Altirra the last time I checked (with Ultimate 1MB). We haven't see the VHDL for Incognito, so it's also possible the write lock isn't even implemented at all. In that case, the option will have to be removed.

• Like 1

The loader's version is .36

Also ensure the SIDE's switch is in the up (loader) position, otherwise the SIDE's SDX ROM may still be present after BASIC is turned off (and Yoomp! might think it's the internal BASIC ROM in the way).

I assumed the screensaver setting controlled attract mode globally.

That would be very cool, if we could dynamically patch the OS defaults according to BIOS settings. Complicated and risky, though.

Edited by flashjazzcat

Also ensure the SIDE's switch is in the up (loader) position, otherwise the SIDE's SDX ROM may still be present after BASIC is turned off (and Yoomp! might think it's the internal BASIC ROM in the way).

It is an incognito. SDX is disabled.

It is an incognito. SDX is disabled.

Thanks for this, since I think it's a bug. The APT "mount" command sets and clears the BASIC disable flag for the subsequent reboot, but the loader calls "mount" again subsequently to rebuild the mount table and this is clearing the flag before the machine has a chance to restart.

Should be an easy enough fix, but I'll have to give it a little thought so I don't break other things.

Actually, I'd already catered for the situation described above: the bug was caused by a typo. Try this PBI update:

Ultimate:

ulpbi155.rom

Incognito:

inpbi155.rom

This whole section of the API needs some amendments. The loader really needs to be able to toggle the state of BASIC on the next reboot without having to simultaneously perform a volume mount. I'll add a separate SIO command for setting flags in the next version.

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 2