IGNORED

New (alt) BIOS for Ultimate 1MB/Incognito

I can't recall the exact values but Google seems to suggest 180 Ohm. I had remembered 220 for some reason, though. Unless the resistors failed open circuit, I doubt they're directly responsible for the issues. However, I have seen signal degradation in the MMU ribbon cause a lot of cartridge issues in the past (usually because of wear and tear on the cable if the board has been removed several times). It would be well worth completely replacing the MMU cable first, and then the OS ROM cable before trying to diagnose issues with the U1MB board itself.

• Like 1

I use 180 ohm resistors in the 1088XEL, and this works irrelevant of whether the U1MB has them already in place. 220 ohm would likely also work since it's really a non critical thing, only being used to limit potential current draw that could overload the CPLD's I/O internal over voltage protection circuit. However if too great a value were put in series, then the 1K pull-down on the A8 would produce too small of a signal to register as a cart insertion due to the voltage divider action of such.

• Like 1

I use 180 ohm resistors in the 1088XEL, and this works irrelevant of whether the U1MB has them already in place. 220 ohm would likely also work since it's really a non critical thing, only being used to limit potential current draw that could overload the CPLD's I/O internal over voltage protection circuit. However if too great a value were put in series, then the 1K pull-down on the A8 would produce too small of a signal to register as a cart insertion due to the voltage divider action of such.

So... it's not critical it be exact, but don't get too carried away. Is that about the size of it?

So... it's not critical it be exact, but don't get too carried away. Is that about the size of it?

Yep that sounds right. In fact I have to correct myself on the voltage divider aspect since the 1K pull-down resistor will be on the other end of the circuit and thus doesn't influence the voltage seen at the CPLD inputs for RD4 and RD5. So it's really just about current reduction, and can probably be a fairly good sized resistance and still work properly for sensing the voltage level.

• 4 weeks later...

Just got the U1MB installed in my 1200xl and while I think it's working, I can't get it to do the cold reset by using reset/select even though it's enabled in the BIOS. I was thinking that it should take me back to the logo screen, but it seems to be just a normal reset. I can do the reset/help then "c" to get what I consider a cold boot, but that's the only way. Is there something I'm missing here?

Just got the U1MB installed in my 1200xl and while I think it's working, I can't get it to do the cold reset by using reset/select even though it's enabled in the BIOS. I was thinking that it should take me back to the logo screen, but it seems to be just a normal reset. I can do the reset/help then "c" to get what I consider a cold boot, but that's the only way. Is there something I'm missing here?

Congrats on your U1MB. From what it sounds like you might not be doing it quite right.

Hold SELECT down while pressing and releasing RESET. Then release SELECT. To disable basic, it's a little tricky because after you release RESET, use that same finger to hold OPTION down before you release SELECT.

Congrats on your U1MB. From what it sounds like you might not be doing it quite right.

Hold SELECT down while pressing and releasing RESET. Then release SELECT. To disable basic, it's a little tricky because after you release RESET, use that same finger to hold OPTION down before you release SELECT.

No built-in BASIC on 1200XL to disable ;) . Opps never mind, I forgot about the U1MB being there, so I guess it does have a built-in language after all :ponder: .

• Like 1

To disable basic, it's a little tricky because after you release RESET, use that same finger to hold OPTION down before you release SELECT.

Not sure offhand whether it works in the currently available BIOS, but in the impending build, one can reboot and suppress BASIC by pressing RESET while SELECT and OPTION are held down and keeping both console keys depressed until the OS has booted. No need for any jiggery-pokery with releasing SELECT at just the right moment. This relies on the fact the OS only tests the OPTION bit in CONSOL when deciding whether to disable BASIC and doesn't care if SELECT is down as well.

• Like 1

That's how I've been trying it (along with any other order I can try) :). Still just a regular reset. I've verified that the select key is working by loading the 1200xl rom in one of the U1MB rom slots and using the self test. Definitely enable in the U1MB setup screen too. Like I said, the reset/help works every time. Just to confirm, select/reset should work in SpartaDOS or from any other loaded program right? Basically, I just want to set the U1MB to boot to the loader, so that I can return to it from within a game just by select/reset. This function wouldn't have anything to do with the OS rom being used at the time would it?

Edited by jc13

I just sneaked in a quick test in Altirra and this won't work anyway (setting "Boot to Loader" and using SELECT+RESET to get back to it). For a variety of reasons only a "full" restart (by pressing "C" in the BIOS setup menu) causes the ROM to be placed in a known state. SELECT+RESET just forces an OS coldstart and doesn't touch the banking register. I could possibly work around this but the reason SELECT+RESET doesn't cause a full beans BIOS restart is because I was asked to change it during the BIOS beta phase a couple of years ago. :)

Yep: press "L" from the setup menu. SELECT+RESET basically mimics the behaviour of operating systems patched with the same functionality. Nevertheless, you can reboot SDX via SELECT+RESET because the U1MB banking register is not touched by this feature. The loader ROM, on the other hand, is disabled the moment you launch an XEX, and restarting the OS does not bring it back. I guess there could be some toggle to cause a full restart, but I don't think HELP+RESET, L is a big inconvenience.

Edited by flashjazzcat

Got it - I was just misunderstanding what the cold reset was supposed to do. I think I was expecting it to act like what's called a "cold reset" from the menu in Altirra. Help/Reset/L will work just fine. Thanks for the info (and the firmware support!).

Yep: SELECT+RESET originally (IIRC) invoked what I'd describe as a "BIOS restart", but this was completely inconsistent with how SELECT+RESET works in all the patched operating systems which support the feature. I suppose some hot key combo which triggers a BIOS restart would be handy, but we're short on console keys not already assigned (or optionally assigned) to other functions. In a sense it would be nice to emulate the behaviour of the stand-alone SIDE cartridge, where pressing the cart's reset button causes the loader to reappear on the next system reset, but since the cart reset button becomes the ATR swap button when SIDE is used with U1MB's PBI BIOS, overloading the button with secondary behaviour might be confusing and fraught with difficulty.

• Like 1

Just to let the TK-II and 1088XEL owners know, the HELP+RESET, L combo is supported as a single keystroke in the PS/2 keyboard's F11 key. And HELP+RESET is executed with the F12 key. So in essence you get the following 'one key press' actions...

F11 = Launch the Loader

F12 = Launch Setup

This is fully supported in TK-II Firmware version 2.3

• Like 3

Just put one of these puppies over it, and you'll be perfectly safe ;) .

09278-2.jpg

I need to find some good electromechanical toggle switches and at least one of those covers - I want to use an Arduino to implement a mechanical control panel for Kerbal Space Program. :D

• Like 1

I need to find some good electromechanical toggle switches and at least one of those covers - I want to use an Arduino to implement a mechanical control panel for Kerbal Space Program. :D

Here you go...

11310-01b.jpg

SparkFun Toggle Switch and Cover - Illuminated (P/N: COM-11310)

-or- SparkFun Missile Switch Cover (P/N: COM-09278)

• Like 3

Got it - I was just misunderstanding what the cold reset was supposed to do. I think I was expecting it to act like what's called a "cold reset" from the menu in Altirra. Help/Reset/L will work just fine. Thanks for the info (and the firmware support!).

I found room to add what you want to the new firmware. When Select+Reset is enabled as the OS restart hotkey, Shift+Ctrl+Esc+Reset will perform a "BIOS restart" which will get you straight back to the loader from wherever you are if you've enabled "Boot to loader".

I found room to add what you want to the new firmware. When Select+Reset is enabled as the OS restart hotkey, Shift+Ctrl+Esc+Reset will perform a "BIOS restart" which will get you straight back to the loader from wherever you are if you've enabled "Boot to loader".

Very cool - thanks for that!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,
I have already read the manuals, but couldn't find all answers about the U1MB and SIDE2.
Please forgive me if my questions have already been answered 20 pages back ;)
It is hard to say if what I observe is my missunderstanding or the hardware issues related to my ATARI :(
Perhaps I will start with the firmware version. U1MB says: 1.25 (I have used firmware.rom for flashing).
The SIDE2 loader says: 1.29.

1) Profiles. I have assigned different colors to both profiles to understand where I'm.
I also configured different colors for the SIDE2 loaders.
It seems that the color scheme depends on the way a SIDE2 loader is started.
When I power on the ATARI and:
- hardrive is disabled: I see a red background. Is it the loader from the SIDE2 ROM?
- PBI and harddrive are enabled and the Loader is enabled in menu or when I press L when in U1MB menu, I see a black one. Is it a SIDE2 loader from U1MB ROM?
Is this behaviour OK?

2) How to flash SIDE2 using SIO2PC?
- how to flash SIDE2 loader in the SIDE2 ROM
- how to flash SDX in the SIDE2 ROM
Especially what U1MB settings shall be active (I don't want to destroy U1MB flash rom).

3) Finally: ATR swap
It does not work for me and I would like to understand if I'm doing someting wrong.
I enabled PBI harddrive and ATR swap. I disabled all other harddrive features and disabled the SIO Driver.
I started the loader (with L) and assigned D1 and D2 to two ATRs.
I highlighted the first D1: ATR (with Atari DOS 2.0) and pressed RETURN.
It starts and I can view the content of this ATR.
Now I wanted to swap the ATRs and I pressed the SIDE2 button, but nothing happens. Any idea?

Best Regards
Marcin