IGNORED

Good PEB alternatives?

Hi, I had a Ti-99 for a while now and I've been thinking about expanding it. Problem is, I don't see myself going out to buy a PEB along with the 32k memory expansion, a floppy disc controller, and an actual disc drive that will work with it. So are there any good PEB alternatives out there?

The only 'current' communications program (that I'm aware of) that will run on the Nano-PEB is:

Stuart's Internet Browser. It also requires the use of a Lantronix UDS-10 .

At the present time, AFAIK, there is no way for a Nano-PEB user to call the BBS's with any terminal communications program. I know of no one attempting to modify any program to use the Nano either. The fills the bill for some things, but does have some operational and growth limitations.

• Like 1

hmm, and do you know something about the CFHDXS1-tool for the nanoPEB (the "patched version") ?

I think this should also run (with Fred´s TI99HDX-server on PC.side).

I hope, otherwise I had spent millions of hours and cables for free :)

But I think so, as it is called "nanoPEB-version", because of the patch.

But I never got it running, maybe you remember my thread with this plenty of cables....

Same here. Had not tried a real com port on a pc. Only used a usb-serial. But i do not believe that is the issue as usb serial works on all type of devices. Ralf i tried that patched version as well.it did not work. I compared all setup with the real peb box where i was able to use cfhdxs1 to the PC. It is something todo with the rs232 chip 9902?

hmm, and do you know something about the CFHDXS1-tool for the nanoPEB (the "patched version") ?

I think this should also run (with Fred´s TI99HDX-server on PC.side).

I hope, otherwise I had spent millions of hours and cables for free :)

But I think so, as it is called "nanoPEB-version", because of the patch.

But I never got it running, maybe you remember my thread with this plenty of cables....

It works as I have done it. however it is limited and I believe only allows you to copy between the two devices. You cannot call HDX1. say from Extended Basic and others. Still a good alternative for storage and copying between images for use with the Nano/CF7+

hmmm, I´ve spent millions of hours, billions of cables, and trillions of tries :) but no gain with the nanoPEBs & HDX or anything serial else.

I also tested all possible combinations of Nano´s, cables, software, PC-interfaces... At this point, I had 5 NanoPEBs....

Absolutely nothing.... no communication

Later, with some PEBs and some of my RS232´s, really ALL functions worked proper. Also ALL of my about 50 cables & adapters and 4 PC-serials.

(some real and some via USB-adapter). Tested them really ALL, one by one, not to get mad :) ALL work fine.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.327976140727679.1073741832.326551627536797&type=3

later hardware-tests: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.353892781469348.1073741856.326551627536797&type=3

I'm thinking of taking an HFDC card and an HXC device, finding a small case with power supply that they will fit into and use Stuart's console-to-card cable to build a small storage device.

Paired with a console that has internal 32k and speech would make for a nice small system with this approach.

Gazoo

• Like 3

Whar you guys are saying that there is really NO good alternative to a P-Box.

If you want complete backwards compatibility then you will need a P-Box.

There are a few on ebay now.

Really just depends on what you are really going to be using the TI-99/4A for.

Edited by Cschneider

I'm thinking of taking an HFDC card and an HXC device, finding a small case with power supply that they will fit into and use Stuart's console-to-card cable to build a small storage device.

Paired with a console that has internal 32k and speech would make for a nice small system with this approach.

Gazoo

hmmm, I am just thinking about this: :grin:

post-41141-0-11156700-1436134950_thumb.jpg

attachicon.gifMini-PEB.jpg

That's the general idea, they have PC cases about that size. This one looks pretty good for what I have in mind:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133240&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Computer+Cases-_-N82E16811133240&gclid=CjwKEAjwq-OsBRDd95aryprR9wQSJACQnU3GQz95TdTyxN9mTdZXWvVOdBDT6Xl7F8j1tP-KQKkk-RoCWBHw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Gazoo

Edited by Gazoo

attachicon.gifMini-PEB.jpg

Oh! I recognize the Pebox that I drew for my website dedicated to the Geneve 9640! http://www.ti99.com/geneve/index.php?fr/article12/texas-instruments-peripheral-expansion-box

pebox.gif

About the mini-peb, it is so sad to have only 2 slots for cards, there are so many interesting cards that all the slots are necessary.

Edited by fabrice montupet
  • Like 1

Oh! I recognize the Pebox that I drew for my website dedicated to the Geneve 9640!

oh yes, and thats definetly the best PEB-picture to be found on the web

thx

PS: The one with 2 slots only, just see it like an USB-Floppydrive :)

What things are missing from the NanoPEB or CF7 that people would commonly have in the regular PEB?
I know the Pascal card for one but what else?

The possibility to use HDX, a SID card or a RAM drive (if it is called like so).

Edited by Dexter

What things are missing from the NanoPEB or CF7 that people would commonly have in the regular PEB?

I know the Pascal card for one but what else?

It's not just what you can fit in the box that's important, it's also has to do with compatibility, expandability, quality issues and headaches.

The Nano-PEB only affords one (not truly compatible) communications port. For some people I am sure that is just fine if they just play games and tinker around a bit. Now some of the other more advanced guys here have mice, modems, UDS-10's and other items hanging off of one or more RS-232 ports as well as printers too,

Now the following is just my opinion: I see a working Nano-PEB as a great entry level device or a device for gamer's. Now there are some guys who use it for more than that, but they must have more patience than I can muster!

In a recent poll you've probably seen that the majority of users here have full-blown peripheral expansion boxes. There could be many reasons for this, in my case I had three flaky Nano's and was tired of farting around with all the limitations and problems. Everything is designed to work with real hardware, so I figured why not just get real hardware and eliminate the hassles?

• Like 1

The possibility to use HDX, a SID card or a RAM drive (if it is called like so).

I don't see not having some sort of drive as much of an issue given the fact that it is a drive interface.

Since I don't have one, I don't know how fast it is I can't say how it compares to a RAM drive but I would think most of the disk access software delays could be removed. A CF card can handle speeds higher than the computer can so there shouldn't have to be much difference vs a RAM disk.

Does any game or music software support the SID card?

and specials like the CP/M-card, and all the SNUG-Cards

I said commonly. :P

I don't see any of these CF or SD interfaces as a complete replacement for the original hardware...

but I'm curious how many people actually have any of those cards and of those that do, how many ever actually use them or have a need for them beyond just collecting them?

I can certainly see the serial port issue as a problem.

Quality is definitely important but old hardware isn't always reliable either.

yes, OK, commonly, but the P-Code-card also is not very commonly :)

In general I think, the old hardware (from TI & other vendors) is built in good qualitiy and is reliable, more than i.e. the NanoPEB from today.

The nanoPEB is just a small fart away from death, every day, because of no housing and no VRM, and also has other issues.

(3 TombStones for me too, Omega :)

So, this is one more reason why I am happy about having the old hardware, on particular the biiiiig PEB and the CPS-99 :)

So, in my opinion, there is no real alternative today, (for me)

Actually, most of the folks I've seen with a SNUG system use it extensively. There aren't a lot of them here is the US (probably less than a dozen full-blown SNUG systems), as most of the 60 or so SGCPU boards at the heart of a SNUG system were sold in Europe. Lots of folks have one or more SNUG boards though--they are solid TI hardware of the best kind. . .

I love my two SNUG cards, I can not live without them!
I confirm, they are solid, I use them near every day without any problem. They are, with some other cards, in my Geveve 9640 Pebox on which I replaced all the power supply components by new ones (vintage components, not modern ones) . It seems to me vital to use a very good power supply with stable an good voltages on every Pebox to prevent any cards destruction.

• Like 2