IGNORED

Someone just found an original Sony/Nintendo PlayStation prototype

STICH666

• 9 months later...

I completely disagree. At least, me personally, I wouldn't have the least bit interest in it. There's no official software. An entire system / platform consisting of nothing but crappy homebrew garbage? Screw that. I'd rather play Mythicon games for 6 hours straight then play that garbage.

If this was a SNES/PlayStation combo system (like say a Sega Neptune) then it would be cool & unique. But as it sits, with no known games ever having been programmed for it, it's a cool looking unique SNES system & conversation piece.

A kickstarter for a Neptune would be of more interest to me. No more clunky 32X unit collapsing at the top of the Sega tower.

• Like 4

I completely disagree. At least, me personally, I wouldn't have the least bit interest in it. There's no official software. An entire system / platform consisting of nothing but crappy homebrew garbage? Screw that. I'd rather play Mythicon games for 6 hours straight then play that garbage.

If this was a SNES/PlayStation combo system (like say a Sega Neptune) then it would be cool & unique. But as it sits, with no known games ever having been programmed for it, it's a cool looking unique SNES system & conversation piece.

A kickstarter for a Neptune would be of more interest to me. No more clunky 32X unit collapsing at the top of the Sega tower.

You know how crazy people are on the Neo scene and this is Nintendo. Sure on the cd side it would all be homebrews but with all the hackers it could be interesting.

You know how crazy people are on the Neo scene and this is Nintendo. Sure on the cd side it would all be homebrews but with all the hackers it could be interesting.

And who's gonna write software for the CDROM addon when there's only one known working unit in existence with which to test on?
  • Like 1

I'm saying if someone did a clone Kickstarter more would be done. If you watched the video, someone made the game tested on an emulator. The emulator would need updating but there's one out there.

This is all about IF so it's just banter on my part.

Aside from loading games from the CD and likely supporting CD-DA for the audio was there anything else in it?

Like special processors or alike (a la SegaCD)?

Nope. This is what makes me kinda glad it never did see the light of day in the '90s.

Sure on the cd side it would all be homebrews but with all the hackers it could be interesting.

The thing is, it would be somewhat pointless other than to say they did it. Asides from games having the benefit of being on CD, there's not really anything else in the hardware that will allow it to do more than a stock SNES will. Based on Ben Heck's findings, it's literally just a SNES with a CD drive and nothing more.

Edited by Austin
  • Like 1

Nothing to see here. After seeing it twice at MGC I can say that neither the dad or son know or care anything about video games and that the dad was a forklift driver and practically stole the thing. He hid items packing them up for auction and then bid and won them low.

If it meant that this treasure was ultimately rescued from a landfill, then more power to him.

Nothing to see here. After seeing it twice at MGC I can say that neither the dad or son know or care anything about video games and that the dad was a forklift driver and practically stole the thing. He hid items packing them up for auction and then bid and won them low.

Seriously? Where did you find that out? Sounds super sketchy if true.

The dad is kind of delightful, having seen his panel at Magfest this past January. I don't necessarily agree with their preference for taking it around to shows since I think it has greater potential to get damaged from all the handling and use vs. it going to a game-centric museum, but I certainly see their argument.

But that story isn't entirely untrue - he was helping pack up the boxes so he knew most of what was in them when he went to bid on them at the auction. I don't believe he actually knew the Playstation was in there, or what it was, exactly, so that particular win was more of a fluke.

The dad is kind of delightful, having seen his panel at Magfest this past January. I don't necessarily agree with their preference for taking it around to shows since I think it has greater potential to get damaged from all the handling and use vs. it going to a game-centric museum, but I certainly see their argument.

But that story isn't entirely untrue - he was helping pack up the boxes so he knew most of what was in them when he went to bid on them at the auction. I don't believe he actually knew the Playstation was in there, or what it was, exactly, so that particular win was more of a fluke.

I agree - I am not sure where the online hate comes for Dan and Terry (the owners). Jealousy perhaps or just lots of second guessing of what the "best thing" to do with it is.

I am part of a retogaming group in Hong Kong and met and got to know them at http://retro.hkwhen they showed it off publicly for the first time. They are still in touch with our group and are as genuine as can be. Delightful is a great word to describe them both - completely down to earth, approachable and grateful for the opportunity and experiences the prototype has given them.

They had the prototype without knowing really what it was for many years so any kind of suggestion that they deliberately rigged things to get it are absurd. Now they have been clear they want to share it with the rest of the community as much as possible. Doing things like getting Ben Heck to repair it (many people would not even consider touching the internals like this), letting people play with it and hold it is IMHO much better than putting it behind glass and letting it be a static museum piece.

We are really lucky they ended up with it than any other people I can think of.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Terry visited Retrogathering 2018 for which I'm the main organizer so I both got to learn about the system and him as a person. It is true he is no classic gamer, but he seems to try to pick up as much knowledge as he can about what he has been touring the world with, according to him pretty much without getting paid beyond expenses for travel and accommodation. It doesn't surprise me that he finally decided to put this machine for sale, and we'll see who is the buyer and what the future holds. Perhaps nobody outside of the new owner ever will get to see it in person again after the sale, or they will keep up with the touring to expos willing to pay what it should cost to exhibit it.

Personally, I cringe whenever unbelievably rare items from our relatively recluse collecting communities reach this level of public exposure; especially when the media is involved. Firstly, because it almost ensures that the item will end up in the hands of a person who has no understanding, appreciation, or respect for the items relevance and/or historic significance. And secondly because it significantly increases the range of the items reach; whereby the dollar signs involved inadvertently have the effect of waking up any possible sleeping giants, resulting in the item losing its status as a one of a kind.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

• 2 months later...
31 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

Wasn't it at 360K? Did someone retract their bid?