IGNORED

Atari Flashback 6

If anyone here does get a FB6 (incidentally, they should be readily available now at your local Toys 'R Us stores), here are the questions to which I would like to get answers:

- Question: Is Battlezone actually in the system?

- Projected Answer: No, it's a misprint on the box.

- Question: Is Secret Quest fully playable, with some substitute in place for the B&W/Color switch function?

- Projected Answer: No, it's as broken now as it was the last time AtGames included it in a Flashback (2011, FB3).

- Question: Does Indy 500 work with the VCS driving controller?

- Projected Answer: No. But maybe it works with paddles?

- Question: Does holding down Start + Select while powering on the system still make it go into the debug mode?

- Projected Answer: Yes, because it's the same underlying hardware.

- Question: Does the debug mode still say "Titan"?

- Projected Answer: Yes, because it's the same underlying hardware.

Oh, great and powerful Fuji gods, let someone give us the answers to these questions!

I wouldn't be at all surprised that AtGames probably did get a license through IMS because the Indianapolis 500's 100th Running is coming up next year on Memorial Day weekend, May 2016!

If it were officially licensed, though, shouldn't there be a copyright/trademark notice on the box, like there is for Taito, Intellivision Productions, and Good Deal Games? And, May 2016 is far enough away that the FB6 will be an afterthought by then. I'm inclined to think it is not licensed.

onmode-ky

• Like 1

If anyone here does get a FB6 (incidentally, they should be readily available now at your local Toys 'R Us stores), here are the questions to which I would like to get answers:

- Question: Does Indy 500 work with the VCS driving controller?

- Projected Answer: No. But maybe it works with paddles?

If it were officially licensed, though, shouldn't there be a copyright/trademark notice on the box, like there is for Taito, Intellivision Productions, and Good Deal Games? And, May 2016 is far enough away that the FB6 will be an afterthought by then. I'm inclined to think it is not licensed.

onmode-ky

IF the Atari Flashback by AtGames is compatible with Atari 2600 peripherals like their box states, then that answer would be yes.

No, it isn't too far enough away, IMS began promoting The 100th Running of The Indianapolis 500 on May 25th, 2015, I'm a native Indiana Hoosier from South Bend, now living in SoCal for 20 years, so you obviously do not know how they work with promotions like this!

http://www.indianapolismotorspeedway.com/

Edited by TrekkiELO

To be honest. I think AtGames has made enough Atari 2600-Flashback systems. If anything, I think they should make a Flashback portable. That would be sick.

I've been hoping for the same thing. I've been perfectly happy with my Flashback 2 for getting my Atari 2600 fixes when my original 2600 consoles weren't working, and for taking to gaming parties to introduce friends who had never played a 2600 before to the system, so I haven't bought any Flashback models since then. A portable though (preferably with an SD card slot to load your own ROMs) is definitely something I would run out and buy the day it came out.

As it stands I've been limited to the Activision Anthology GBA cart and Atari Greatest Hits 1 & 2 DS carts for playing 2600 games on the go, and it would be just awesome to have a dedicated Atari 2600 handheld that wasn't $1,000+ fan made custom creation.

It might be a long shot, but I'm still hoping that one day this little guy may yet see the light of day:

tZv3NUc.jpg

iyFVapM.jpg

If AtGames are still concerned that the market for it might not be big enough to justify the production cost then I wonder if crowd funding might be an option?

Edited by Jin
  • Like 3

I think a portable Atari 2600 is a great idea and something they could easily do. Whether they're interested or not is another issue. And of course they keep producing new entries in the Atari Flashback and Sega equivalents because people keep on buying them. They'd obviously stop if that wasn't the case.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anybody know if battlezone is really on this?

Brand new to this forum, but just bought one of these yesterday. The back of the box clearly shows Battlezone as one of the included games. But, it is nowhere to be found in the in-game selection menu. Do these Flashback units ever have "hidden" or "unlockable" games???

• Like 1

Flashback 6...

How much did you pay for it? (if you don't mind me asking) Toys R Us is selling for $47. (Resellers trying to sell for even more than that.) If Family $ is selling the same unit for half that, then I'm taking mine back for a refund. I bought this for Adventure I & II and Yars' I & II, but now after reading some other comments from more knowledgeable Atari 2600 fans, I'm feeling like I've been ripped off.

Edited by Nysom

The one I got at Toys R Us: also 100 games. But, as stated earlier, no Battlezone. Why they pictured Battlezone on the packaging is anyone's guess. Maybe one of the future versions will include it.

Battlezone was last on the FB4. It is my understanding that they lost the license for it as it was not on the FB5 either.

Brand new to this forum, but just bought one of these yesterday. The back of the box clearly shows Battlezone as one of the included games. But, it is nowhere to be found in the in-game selection menu. Do these Flashback units ever have "hidden" or "unlockable" games???

Hmm, that would make sense, but I am not sure. I don't know if anyone here knows/remembers that the Atari FB2 and 2+ had a few unlockables, you typed in "1972" on your joystick(Up:1 Down: 9 Up: 7 Down: 2). The FB2 came with 2 paddle games, and the FB2+ had 3 of the same type...

That would be cool if they did the same on the FB6, but I doubt it, because they never did it on the FB3-FB5. :P