IGNORED

Season 4 - The New HSC - Week 25 = Springer

Hmmm. I understand the choice of carrot and egg; sunglasses and toothbrush (for his big teeth) are a stretch; they lose me at coffee mug and brass teapot.

post-41961-0-28400700-1436225099_thumb.png

One thing I like a lot about HSC is that you are forced to look for the good things in each game. Now granted, this game is pretty crappy. If I owned the cart, I probably would have played it for ten minutes total, and then relegated it to the bottom of the pile for the rest of eternity. But here, the competitive nature of you all makes me take a second and maybe even third look at all sorts of games.

To give you an idea of what the programmer(s) at Tigervision were trying to accomplish, look at a clip from the original arcade cabinet by Orca (1982):

https://youtu.be/5pQpgFrsd8E

(Link doesn't seem to work. Copy and paste it into address bar.)

Also, check out the original artwork for the game featuring an obvious Bugs Bunny clone:

post-41961-0-44316300-1436226127_thumb.jpg

My main complaint about this game is its mechanics--they're simply dreadful. Someone spent way too much time on the music, and should have focused first on basic gameplay. That being said, I still kind of enjoy looking for the legal moves and jumps that get you up to the sun.

Oh, and my BIG helpful hint is that you can JUMP DOWN to a cloud below you by pushing down on the joystick (no fire button).

Edited by MoomUnit
  • Like 3

I have noticed that there are areas where the rabbit is more incline to not jump when I hit the button. Other times there's a light delay before he'll jump. I'm sure it'd be possible to keep track of these spots and just stop jumping from there, but at that point I feel like I'm putting more work into playing the game than the programmer put into making it.

I was going to mention that they did a pretty good job of converting the music to the 2600. Another thing is that the controls are backwards. In the arcade, pushing up jumps and the button kicks, which seems more logical.

• Like 2

I keep dying at the top of screen 3.

New Score: 2,280

attachicon.gifSpringer (1982) (Tigervision).png

Hang out on the moving platform until the little "cloud" or stationary platform appears on left side. It will disappear,...then reappear after the dragons emerge. Then get off on left side and move on up left side. If that makes sense. You can make it up earlier if you get there before the little platform disappears around 670 on the timer. If you miss it then hang on the moving platform till it reaapears (around 5xx on timer). Also note to hang on extreme left side of the moving platform(while waiting) or the dragon will touch you when the moving platform gets to right side of it's long horizontal path.

• Like 3

post-40055-0-97097400-1436281552_thumb.png

Swear I'm not trying to be funny, here. This is my score.

It's easy to forget how awkward platform-jumping tended to be on the VCS. It took an hour just to realize that, at the top of the first level, you can make a certain jump if only you stand on the very edge before jumping. jumping down and kicking are also counter-intuitive at first. C'mon, Buggs! Once you remember what pre-Mario video game "physics" were like, things improve. Slightly, for me, immensely for Vodoo Chilley.

Besides, Springer does have some retro-charm appeal, and bad games can be entertaining in their own right just as bad "B" movies can be entertaining (please note my avatar as a prime example :-D )

This. Half the games I enjoy, modern and classic, are either deeply flawed or just bad.

But this damn rabbit -- and the cartridge itself is such a thing of beauty ...

• Like 4

Hang out on the moving platform until the little "cloud" or stationary platform appears on left side. It will disappear,...then reappear after the dragons emerge. Then get off on left side and move on up left side. If that makes sense. You can make it up earlier if you get there before the little platform disappears around 670 on the timer. If you miss it then hang on the moving platform till it reaapears (around 5xx on timer). Also note to hang on extreme left side of the moving platform(while waiting) or the dragon will touch you when the moving platform gets to right side of it's long horizontal path.

Thanks Voodoo! I'll give it a try later..........

post-34560-0-25881500-1436332736_thumb.jpg

had an improvement-streak last night! :)

I thought this seemed like they were going for an "arcade" feel with this, had no idea it was actually an arcade game.

this game is challenging & addictive for me. definitely the kind of crappy game I can laugh at but I keep wanting to do better. I actually lose interest in Kangaroo faster, sad to say.

when the jump button misfires is the most frustrating part. I've tried to notice what causes that, but whenever I pay close attention it never seems to happen. "??"

I like how it gets more puzzling to get through as well as faster clouds, when the levels loop.

• Like 3

attachicon.gifSpringer (1B) 4625 b.jpg

had an improvement-streak last night! :)

I thought this seemed like they were going for an "arcade" feel with this, had no idea it was actually an arcade game.

this game is challenging & addictive for me. definitely the kind of crappy game I can laugh at but I keep wanting to do better. I actually lose interest in Kangaroo faster, sad to say.

when the jump button misfires is the most frustrating part. I've tried to notice what causes that, but whenever I pay close attention it never seems to happen. "??"

I like how it gets more puzzling to get through as well as faster clouds, when the levels loop.

The game is growing on me as well. But still lots of frustration mixed with the fun.

It looks like you actually own this cart! Or do you use a Harmony cart now?

• Like 1

Springer - 5,155 Springer - 6,935

19337918398_1589eee882_m.jpg 18904339554_d5868726cc_m.jpg

BONUS game with a SUN : CHOPPER COMMAND

19527551285_fcff4cf830_m.jpg

Made it to screen 8. I was determined to get by screen 6 today and finally did it. Killed by the dragon at the top on screen 8...would've broke 7K. Dragons go super fast on round 3 screens now. You have to jump and kick in mid-air to kill them it appears.

Edited by voodoo_chilly
  • Like 1