IGNORED

Doom Patrol

winkdot

Doom Patrol

As a member of the United Astrocorporation Unlimited (UAU) your mission is to infiltrate the Technotechnics base and destroy their super weapon.

Intel:
In order to penetrate the base, you must obtain both keys and then make a dash to destroy the super weapon.
The Technotechnics base walls are deadly, avoid them. The base also has automatic random wall defense that will appear in a random fashion. Avoid them.
The super weapon must be hit five times in order to be destroyed.
Know your tank:
Your tank is equiped with a slightly defective main weapon the UAU purchased on contract. Sometimes the missile explodes prior to making contact. It will destroy ground and air targets. It seems to work better at short ranges. The UAU programmers are working to improve it.
You have two shields on each tank. A shield unit can be replinshed if you find an armor icon.
Your tank has improved speed, use this to your advantage. Staying in a room too long becomes very dangerous.
You have 3 tanks in which to complete the mission. If sucessful, you will attack again against a stronger enemy.
Control:
At the title screen press the fire button to start. The fire button also starts a new game at the game over screen.
Joystick controls the tank in four directions.
Joystick button fires a missile in the direction the tank is facing.
A Difficulty is a bit of an easier game. It removes the random wall defense and the gray background bars.
NOTE: Version 0.6 is a release made to reduce any harmony cart rolling/jittering. It might not be perfect. I can't test it.
Created using batari and the DCP+ kernel.
Special thanks to iesposta for helping to optimize this one!
Hope you enjoy and as always comments are welcome.
post-7911-0-45405700-1436016508_thumb.pngpost-7911-0-65255600-1436016529_thumb.pngpost-7911-0-58074300-1436016553_thumb.pngpost-7911-0-38588600-1436016575_thumb.pngpost-7911-0-55251300-1436016596_thumb.pngpost-7911-0-72776300-1436016624_thumb.pngpost-7911-0-98226400-1436016664_thumb.png
Edited by winkdot
  • Like 9

Thanks Mr. Video and TrekMD. I will be looking into that for the next release. I have already changed a few other items such as the random playfield not being generated in the yellow key room or past a point into the lair of the Super weapon.

First person that puts up a screen shot of the Super Weapon boss gets a genuine no-prize! (yes, like the classic Marvel comics no-prize).
Surely someone can make it to the boss... :)

Very fun game. :thumbsup:

I figured out the green things blocking an exit can be dealt with by leaving and reentering a room but when it happens in the key room, it means inevitable death...any way of keeping them away from an doorway in that part of the game or allowing multiple shots to destroy it?

Also, the gray bars have extreme jitter on my real 2600.

Edited by Turbo-Torch
  • Like 1

Very fun game. :thumbsup:

I figured out the green things blocking an exit can be dealt with by leaving and reentering a room but when it happens in the key room, it means inevitable death...any way of keeping them away from an doorway in that part of the game or allowing multiple shots to destroy it?

Also, the gray bars have extreme jitter on my real 2600.

Thanks Turbo-Torch! I have removed the random playfield from appearing in the key room and on the path to the super weapon in the next release.

I'm at a loss on the jitter. Do you think the gray bar jitter is from the color or something else? Does it happen all the time? Worse sometimes?

The green color and enemies are solid but the gray shaded areas bounce up and down quickly about a 1/4". It happens throughout the entire game and in all rooms.

I'm using a Harmony Encore, 21" CRT TV and a 4 switch 2600.

Thanks Turbo-Torch. That has to be annoying. The colors are just background. I have no idea why this would occur on a real 2600. Anyone have an idea?

Thanks Turbo-Torch. That has to be annoying. The colors are just background. I have no idea why this would occur on a real 2600. Anyone have an idea?

Hit ALT+L while you're playing the game in Stella and it will show you your scanline count. If you go over 262 at any point it will cause screen rolls on real hardware. You're using too many CPU cycles in your main loop and some optimization would need to be done to correct it. That's vague I know, but I can't look at the moment to give you any more specific suggestions. The game looks great, it's a very good start!

Edit: I just noticed that you didn't post your source code. That'd be helpful if you'd like further suggestions.

• Like 1

Hit ALT+L while you're playing the game in Stella and it will show you your scanline count. If you go over 262 at any point it will cause screen rolls on real hardware. You're using too many CPU cycles in your main loop and some optimization would need to be done to correct it. That's vague I know, but I can't look at the moment to give you any more specific suggestions. The game looks great, it's a very good start!

Edit: I just noticed that you didn't post your source code. That'd be helpful if you'd like further suggestions.

Thanks Atarius Maximus. I have found a couple of places where it is over 262 which I will look at. For example where the four saucers are flying around, but it's sure not going over 262 in most places. The red key room should not roll at all.

Hey, can the first person that gets to the super weapon take a screen shot of it? You will know it when you see it :)

I've only gotten to the gold key.....after picking that up do I go back the same way I entered??? I keep dying before I can leave that room.......and do know what to do next.......I'm lost.........

I've only gotten to the gold key.....after picking that up do I go back the same way I entered??? I keep dying before I can leave that room.......and do know what to do next.......I'm lost.........

I have just put up the 0.3 version. It does not contain all the changes I wished to make yet but the random playfields that keep blocking people in the yellow key room has been eliminated and the path to the super weapon is also clear.

Arenafoot, after you get the yellow key, go back and get the red key.

• Like 1

I figured out the green things blocking an exit can be dealt with by leaving and reentering a room but when it happens in the key room, it means inevitable death...

The green things are still blocking the doorways and now entering a new room equals immediate death - way too often in this latest version. As-is the game is not beatable.

The green things are still blocking the doorways and now entering a new room equals immediate death - way too often in this latest version. As-is the game is not beatable.

Sorry Arenafoot but the game can be beat. I have done it. It's sure not a walk in the park though.

As no one has posted a screen shot of the boss, I have modified the game to make it a bit easier (again). See if you can be the first to post a screen shot of the boss with the new version (0.4).

• Like 1