IGNORED

Doom Patrol

winkdot

Sorry Arenafoot but the game can be beat. I have done it. It's sure not a walk in the park though.

As no one has posted a screen shot of the boss, I have modified the game to make it a bit easier (again). See if you can be the first to post a screen shot of the boss with the new version (0.4).

still no luck.....now I can't even make it to the gold key.......... too hard for me.

I think many of us thought of the same thing...

Yep that's what I thought when I first saw the thread.

Game looks sweet though, I had a few mins to play it and wow really addictive. Simple, but deep. Those damn little dashes kept killing me, but that made me want to not die more. x3

Edited by Jinroh

still no luck.....now I can't even make it to the gold key.......... too hard for me.

You are trying the 0.4 version right? It is a bit easier, but not super easy. If you kill the end boss the game starts up again and an increased difficulty level (not that you want to know this :), There are over 5 levels of difficulty. Of course the starting level is the easiest.

Killad517 made it to the boss (see above) and so have I, so it can be done. I have never done it on level 2 yet though.

I guess my advice would be, go slow, when entering a room always fire. If your down on armor (they appear random), go from room to room until a armor icon appears so you can armor up your tank. This also works if the playfield is blocking a doorway. The final path to the boss is around 17 screens, after the first two, the random playfield does not appear. Be careful because it's a long pathway. Good luck!

They jiggle badly on all screens.

I'll try an post a video later.

Cool Turbo-Torch. On the red key room I am not exceeding the counts in that room so that's why I'm interested in this. Just to figure it out. The easiest thing I could do is just take the gray bars out, but it would look a bit dull.

The camera in on a tripod. There are also a few times where the whole screen jumps.

The green border seems to stay stable for the most part but the yellow hash marks on the boarder bounce and the entire title screen is very bouncy.

Thanks for taking the time to make the video. Is version 0.4 any different? There were some changes made to it.

Weird thing about that video is even the title screen looked to jitter and it locked right in the correct count.

Edited by winkdot

I'm not a fan of the little dash. One, it has a chance of appearing very close to your tank or underneath your tank if it isn't programmed not to do so. One hit to the little dash will ruin all progress in that game session, I think taking some armor off your tank would be a better instead of instant death that can't be avoided.

Sometime your shot would disappear midway acting like it hit something.

However, I love the randomization of the room though. It's like a rouge-like where you a chance to pick up item and go into room to fight random set of enemies.

One hit to the little dash will ruin all progress in that game session, I think taking some armor off your tank would be a better instead of instant death that can't be avoided.

i agree...... i'd like to this change winkdot

Sometime your shot would disappear midway acting like it hit something.

its explained in the first post why this happens.........

• 2 weeks later...

Alright here you go. Doom Patrol 0.5 ..... Put in A Difficulty which is a bit of an easier game. It removes the random wall defense and the gray background bars. Of course in Stella you just hit F5 to set difficulty A before you hit the fire button at the games title screen. See download on announcement screen.

Something is really messed up on a real 2600. Difficulty A causes a rapid growing orange screen from the bottom up, over and over again.

The gray bars are gone as well as the little green defense things and it is still playable. Jitters are still the same on versions .4 and .5.

Love this game and the concept. It could be one of the best games of 2015 if you could get the screen stable.

Something is really messed up on a real 2600. Difficulty A causes a rapid growing orange screen from the bottom up, over and over again.

The gray bars are gone as well as the little green defense things and it is still playable. Jitters are still the same on versions .4 and .5.

Love this game and the concept. It could be one of the best games of 2015 if you could get the screen stable.

Hey Turbo-Torch, could you try this game on your setup and see if it's all jittery too?

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/238143-orb/

At this point, I'm just not sure why this is happening.

Glad you like the game though!

Hey Turbo-Torch, could you try this game on your setup and see if it's all jittery too?

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/238143-orb/

At this point, I'm just not sure why this is happening.

Glad you like the game though!

Hate to say it but it has the jitters too (although another cool game!). I tried Alien Pinball and it also jitters and often crashes to a black screen when I lose a ball.

I can't believe that someone else with a Harmony cart hasn't chimed in?

Maybe try posting in the main Atari section or the Homebrew section. I bet many forum members don't know your games exist as this section is kind of buried.

Edit:

Just tried Cow and it's rock solid perfection. :thumbsup:

Edited by Turbo-Torch
  • Like 1

I tried it out on my 7800 using Harmony Cart. I'm also getting jittery graphics on real hardware. Fun game, though.

Thanks for trying it out BrianC. I don't have a Harmony cart but I was reading that sometimes it can get confused at the auto detection process on the type of game it is. This failure can result in weird patterns being displayed on the screen.

Could you or Turbo-Torch rename the game name extension from .bin to .dpc and see if it makes any difference?

Looks like they also have firmware updates to the Harmony cart. Are you guys running the latest version?

I could check, but I don't think the problem has anything to do with firmware or bankswitching. I have the latest version of Harmony. Screen flips and jitters don't show up on Stella and I heard it has something to do with an incorrect amount of scanlines.

Edited by BrianC

I could check, but I don't think the problem has anything to do with firmware or bankswitching. I have the latest version of Harmony. Screen flips and jitters don't show up on Stella and I heard it has something to do with an incorrect amount of scanlines.

No idea BrainC, I was just relaying what I read on the Harmony web site.

Just checked the game. It's at the proper 262 scan lines with the exception where the four UFO's come in. There it goes to 263 just for a fraction of a second, then backs down to 262.

I could go dig up my Cuttle Cart II but that would not prove anything with the Harmony cart. Guess the other choice is to purchase a Harmony cart.

Does anyone know how close they are to releasing the 7800 version?