IGNORED

What Atari 2600 Game Has Your Favorite Sound?

Skippy B. Coyote

Sound on the Atari 2600. This is actually one of my favorite things to think about.

The inherent limitations - primarily meaning the fact that there are only two voices, but also the fact that the scaling of pokable values doesn't match well with 12-tone polyphony, especially at higher registers - meant that only a very small number of games bothered to employ music, and especially not during gameplay. (Pitfall II is a unique exception as its internal guts afforded a grand total of four voices.) This gave Atari games a reliable patina of stark impersonality. It's the console of bleeps and bloops and mechanical indifference, and often just utter silence - a phenomenon naturally helped along by its graphical limitations. Not a criticism; I personally relish that about the 2600.

As for my favorite "sound", my answer has to be Journey Escape. The game has music playing almost 100% of the time, only taking short breaks for the (also musical) sound of colliding with an enemy. The main BGM increases in intensity the longer you progress without getting tagged. And even though the tune is very short and repetitive, I very much like it. It doesn't hurt that the game is also one of the few solidly playable games out there that can be legitimately beaten, and without excessive frustration or ease.

Yars Revenge is one of the all time greats. I also like the sound while playing Atlantis if the little ship that races across the screen. One of the more funny sounds was when you died while playing Dragonfire. The sound plus the little man flipping end over end.

Edited by bigfriendly
  • Like 1

The sounds I love most (and since my early teenage years) are:

Super Breakout (and getting to select the sound effect!)

Starmaster (the sounds of warping through space)

Pitfall (Harry vine swinging, jumping, and losing a life - which makes up most of the games sound fx)

Demon Attack (chime when clearing a screen)

Defender (laser fire and the splat of humanoids crashing down)

I've always really liked all of the sound effects in Atari's Pac-Man. Guess it's a nostalgia thing, but it just makes me happy every time I hear those 4 notes just before game play begins.

And along with several others here, Missile Command definitely makes the top of the list.

I also just recently discovered the amazing game that is Kool-Aid Man. The bouncing sound just cracks me up for some reason. I like to leave the game running after I die just so I can hear the bouncing around sound over and over.

I just read this post to my wife, and she laughed and said, "You're such an Atari geek."

Yes. Yes I am! [emoji106][emoji106][emoji109][emoji109]

Sent from my iPhone directly into your brain using Tapatalk

Edited by 24Fanatic365
  • Like 1

Oh gawd,too many to name. I sample alot from 2600 games for my radio mixes.

I really like the sound in Zaxxon when you move the spaceship,it's trippy.

The sound in Warlords when the ball hits the bricks is really cool too.

All the sounds in Solaris. The glitchy "beep" sound in Q*Bert.

I always loved the sounds in Pac-Man 2600 as well despite what anyone thinks about that game. They're so iconic actually. I think I am the first DJ on FM radio to play sounds from the 2600 and rare consoles.I can't think of no other DJ that's done that on the air before me. :P

Does Pitfall II count? :grin:

Some homebrews have pretty rad TIA music on the title screens...

Dishonorable mention: Firefly.

Yes. Yes it does. :D

And no doubt, there is some downright amazing music on so many homebrew games. Lead in particular comes to mind. As cliche as the song might be at this point, I still think there needs to be a version of Lead that plays a 2600 rendition of Darude's Sandstorm in place of the normal music. It would just fit the game so well!

I just realized that there actually is a game that has my favorite sounds (not my favorite music, as with Journey Escape). Realized it because I've spent my whole life imitating the sounds in question.

Mousetrap. The simulated cat meow, and the odd lower-register noise it makes when you change into a dog (presumably the best attempt at a dog bark). The meow is rather remarkable, even if it definitely sounds like typical 2600.

Edited by Colmino
  • Like 1