IGNORED

AspeQt for Android (beta).

greblus

It isn't a show stopper since clicking the tab brings up the dialog. For that matter, you could have a cheat sheet or your help file open to see what they are supposed to be. It's only with the 4.3" tablet and it is possible a combination of small screen size and low resolution is the problem with the display. I included several views with a screen shot of my 7" tablet for comparison.

Montezuma gave a good argument for how handy SIO2BT is with the convenience of using an internet connected phone as a server. I have to say so far this looks like it is going to be a favorite. Small size, internet connected, built in browser to search and find files. Very trick!!! You may<?> have the option to add keyboard and mouse for housekeeping if they play nice with the SIO2PC cable.

post-35434-0-19785900-1444773124_thumb.jpg

Ok, thanks Ricortes, it's really helpful. It's a matter of fixed size of widgets which overlap if the screen size is too small. I'll come up with a solution to this issue some time in the future. The layouts are dynamic so on newer devices with bigger screens it's no problem, but it definitely should be addressed. BTW I've bigger problem: I just noticed that either my sio2pc built using pl2303 chip got broken, or my recent changes broke pl2303 support ;). What a bummer.

And yes, you are absolutely right about usability of mobile devices. Sometimes I'm downloading a game (Atarinet two days ago) to play on Coleen emulator, but then, the same file I can almost instantly run on real machine. I have Side cart but still, I prefer sio2pc-usb on Android as it takes less time (sio2pc-usb is always connected) to have some fun. Side cart is great and i'll always use it, but for other purposes, where the speed and SDX is the main reason to use it.

Hi Montezuma.

I've read about some issues with Qt5 on Lollipop but I don't have any device with this Android version yet to test it right now. They'll release Qt-5.5.1 pretty soon and I'll rebuild the apk when it's officially out. Right now I'm still using Qt-5.4.2 (I'm waiting for one bug to be fixed), but if you have some free time, I can build the apk using Qt-5.5.0 for you to test if there were any improvements.

Cheers,

W.

PS: Is it crashing on startup (one user here reported such behavior)? Is the permissions request window showing up?

Hi Wiktor,

the app is not crashing anymore, but there is no SIO communication at all.

I managed to mount an ATR but nothing happens (I tested it with 2 FTDI based cables and with SOFT/CTS settings).

Nexus 5 has OTG, but I do not know if there is anything I need to activate, etc. before I start AspeQt.

For example: to access an USB stick on my Nexus, I need a special plugin for Total Commander, since it is not mounted automatically.

Regards

Marcin

Hmm.

That's strange. If USB stick needs some additional magic to work, it might be that they've managed to "limit" this functionality somehow.

My mobile was different, it allowed me to use external usb storage, but usb host was not configured in permissions.xml.

And after you plug the cable in, do you see a pop-up window asking for permissions?

Another thing which I do not remember if was checked: what is reported by USB Host Diagnostics? If it says USB-Host is working, then it's probably AspeQt's fault.

Update: it seems that it's Nexus-related. Lots of people are reporting that USB OTG works for them for external storage, but most of them are using some additional tools for it to work.

I've found one interesting post on the official Nexus Help forum:

"The devices physically and electrically support OTG out-of-the-box but the stock firmware does not include the necessary tools so you need to either root the device and install a third-party ROM to enable native OTG support (plug it in and it just works) or use third-party apps with built-in OTG drivers.

So, it both does and does not. It all depends on whether you are looking at it from the software or hardware side of things."

Cheers,

W.

Edited by greblus

Hi,
thanks for your hints.
This is what the USB Host Diagnostics says:
https://goo.gl/photos/bgznkAkyLMJMGYmM8

It does not ask me for any permissions, only if AspeQt should be started once I plug the Sio2PcUsb cable.

It does neither work with my Nexus 5 (Android 5 and since yesterday Android 6) nor it works with my older tablet Acer Iconia A500 (Android 3).
I wish I had one more reason to convince (at this year ABBUC JHV) some iPhone users to convert to Android...

Is there any chance to fix that problem?

Edited by TheMontezuma

Hi Marcin.

So it looks that USB Host is not supported. That's how it's being reported on my mobile:

https://greblus.files.wordpress.com/2015/09/usb-host-kazam.png

If it's about Nexus 5 I'd give Cyanogenmod a chance. It (Nexus) seems to be oficially supported:

https://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Hammerhead_Info

In fact one of the "geeky toys" on my wishlist is an Android device with Cyanogenmod officially supported ;).

And if it's about Acer Iconia A500, usb-host API is available since 3.1 but I guess you've updated your device already (i see that 4.0.3 should be available for it)?

Cheers,

W.

Hi Wiktor,

yes, shame on Google (but I anyway do not want to root my Nexus).

Regarding Iconia, you are right, it has Android 4 (it was released with Andoid 3 and got an update to 4 later on).

I checked it with USB Hosts Diagnostics and the SIO2PC(USB) seems to be fully supported.

Unfortunately SIO communication with AspeQt does not work. I can see the LED (in the cable) is blinking when ATARI is booting (and trying to read from floppy).

The other LED for communication from AspeQt to Atari does not blink at all, no answer is sent to the ATARI. I tried SOFT and CTS handshaking and 2 different FTDI based cables...

Greets

Marcin

Edited by TheMontezuma

Hi Marcin.

Thanks for testing. I'll look into it and will try to fix that. Probably a timing issue (with jni it's to be expected) but may be also a driver/permissions issue. Current version works nicely on all my devices, but I'll have to look at the software command frame detection first as it simply should work for all configurations with USB-Host enabled.

I've seen some reports about problems with writing premissions, so this is what I'll try to check first.

Cheers,

W.

PS. In the meantime, could you please check if this version works any better for you: https://github.com/greblus/aspeqt/raw/75bf790f8f626d9dff93c876c93f9aa3ff38bdb3/android/apk/aspeqt.apk

Edited by greblus

Hi,

An adapter cable for my Blackberry Classic arrived today so I gave it a try. First off, I know for sure that the adapter works since I tested it with some USB storage devices. However, when trying to use AspeQT, I can't get the emulation to start. The phone does know that a device has been inserted and reports no errors, but seems to not know what to do with it.

I'm running Blackberry OS 10 release: 10.3.2.556.

Ideas?

Thanks!

Hi programmer6502.

1. Tell me: what sio2pc-usb device you're connecting through your adapter cable?

2. After you connect, do you see any pop-up window asking for permissions or whether AspeQt should be started for this (just connected) device?

3. What's the hardware handshake method (which pin is connected to command)? DSR?

4. Did you try SOFT mode? Is it also resulting in no communication?

I'm currently re-writing getSWCommandFrame when I'm done with it, I'll upload the new apk first to github, then to Google play.

Cheers,

W.

Hi programmer6502.

1. Tell me: what sio2pc-usb device you're connecting through your adapter cable?

2. After you connect, do you see any pop-up window asking for permissions or whether AspeQt should be started for this (just connected) device?

3. What's the hardware handshake method (which pin is connected to command)? DSR?

4. Did you try SOFT mode? Is it also resulting in no communication?

I'm currently re-writing getSWCommandFrame when I'm done with it, I'll upload the new apk first to github, then to Google play.

Cheers,

W.

1) I'm using a FT232RL adapter

2) No

3) CTS

4) Yes, no change

Thanks

Point 2) the question about permissions or starting AspeQt by default for attached device, It's usually displayed on first run, right after installation. If selected and confirmed, it won't show-up again.

Can you try checking with this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.usbhostdiagnostics&hl=pl ?

As I wrote previously I have no expirience with Blackberry and the apk support is probably quite an advanced functionality.

Cheers,

W.

Point 2) the question about permissions or starting AspeQt by default for attached device, It's usually displayed on first run, right after installation. If selected and confirmed, it won't show-up again.

Can you try checking with this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.usbhostdiagnostics&hl=pl ?

As I wrote previously I have no expirience with Blackberry and the apk support is probably quite an advanced functionality.

Cheers,

W.

Funny, I actually found and tried that same diagnostic app earlier ...but it came up with nothing.

No worries though, It's all good! While the Blackberry has the ability to run Android APK's, it seems to have compatibility issues with physical input and output. An example being that the keyboard doesn't work in Android apps (though I have a method of tricking them into thinking it's an Android keyboard).

Anyway, I appreciate your time in trying to help me out. Cool app!

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi guys.

Few weeks ago when I heard that U1MB will fully support SIO2BT I decided that I must have one and I finally got it two days ago. I have to say that I really love this little device and I've spent two last evenings trying to have it working in AspeQt on Android.

Here is the apk (in sio2bt branch):

https://github.com/greblus/aspeqt/tree/sio2bt/android/apk

No configuration needed, simply do the pairing in bluetooth configuration of your Android device and it'll connect searching for a device with the name starting with SIO2BT, so if you changed the name in BTCONFIG, revert this change to SIO2BTsomething. In the future it'll be configurable in the options window.

So far it works @19200 and 38400 bps. Stalls @57600. I'll do my best to make this ugly code work better in future versions ;) My plan is to support usb-serial-for-android and soon also fehlr/UsbSerial java drivers + SIO2BT in one apk.

And here's a short movie:

Cheers,

W.

PS. Big special thanks go to Marcin "the Montezuma" Sochacki for making one sio2bt for me and FJC for all these countless hours he spent on his unbelievable U1MB upgrades.

Edited by greblus
  • Like 6

I've spent some time today with RWTEST.COM under SDX and AspeQt + SIO2BT works very well now @ 57600. it's even slightly faster than sio2bt app, I'm really impressed by the speed with the latest U1MB firmware and how reliable the connection is...

https://github.com/greblus/aspeqt/blob/sio2bt/android/apk/aspeqt.apk

post-32172-0-74026300-1474201761_thumb.jpg

post-32172-0-33603200-1474201772_thumb.jpg

Edited by greblus
  • Like 5