IGNORED

getting started with 1040ST

Hi -

I confess, I've always been a C= / Amiga guy, however I couldn't pass up a 1040STf that was offered to me. I'd love to get it setup and working and see if I can get into using the ST - but I have no idea where to start.

Got it hooked up and purchased a VGA adapter cable off eBay. It powers up to a gray screen and stays there for quite a while with the disk drive clicking. At first I thought it wasn't working, but eventually it does boot to a TOS (?) screen. Here are some pics:

http://www.techav.com/misc/retro/1040st1.jpg

http://www.techav.com/misc/retro/1040st2.jpg

http://www.techav.com/misc/retro/1040st3.jpg

So, where do I start?

1 - I guess I need a mouse. I believe Amiga mice will not work. Any reasonable alternative, or should I just grab an ST mouse off eBay?

2 - Any idea what those ribbon cables coming off the back are for?

3 - Any other suggestions to get moving forward?

I plan on opening the unit up to clean it a bit and check out the internals but have not had time yet.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

• Like 1

Doh!!! I guess I should have posted before ordering that cable.

So, what's the best output I can get in color with a non-Atari monitor? Composite?

I'll let someone else answer here because my reply would be 'STeem Engine on a nice, new PC screen' ;)

After such lame answers from our past Atari fellow (now Jaguar rider) I feel need to clarify some things:

You need Atari mouse, or compatible solution - what would mean PS2-Atari adapter with optical PC mouse . Later is indeed better.

One cable is for external floppy, and other for external IDE hard disk. Most likely. To get reliable answer, you need to open it, and make some more photos. In meantime can clean it from dust :-D

So, it may appear that you can have even hard disk adapter, what could work with Compact Flash cards via IDE-CF adapter.

For work in color you need monitor which can work on low horizontal frequencies (not only in VGA mode), what is not case with most of LCD monitors. If it has RGB, Scart input, then you are lucky. And proper cable.

Or some LCD TV - they mostly have video input. Composite input may be solution too. Of course, some old Atari monitor can serve too, but I'm not for it.

Edited by ParanoidLittleMan

For work in color you need monitor which can work on low horizontal frequencies (not only in VGA mode), what is not case with most of LCD monitors. If it has RGB, Scart input, then you are lucky. And proper cable.

Or some LCD TV - they mostly have video input. Composite input may be solution too. Of course, some old Atari monitor can serve too, but I'm not for it.

I have some pretty flexible displays. So, will this VGA adapter output color if I have a display capable of syncing down to the proper frequency? What's the best way to test? I assume I need some disks?

Thanks for the replies!

Hi -

Yes, this is the cable I purchased:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATARI-ST-VGA-MONITOR-ADAPTER-WITH-SOUND-LEAD-CABLE-/320526274539?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4aa0dacfeb

The description says monochrome but I just assumed the hi-res mode would be above and beyond any normal color modes.

I don't think I'd be up for soldering a cable, so I will have to search for something else. Guess I need to obtain some disks as well.

Can ST disks be created on a PC?

Here is a link to LCD screens that have been tested and some allow all resolutions:

http://www.atari-wiki.com/index.php/Flat_Panel_Displays

There are a couople of links at the bottom of the linked web page to cable pin-outs used. I have not tried these as I use an Atari with a built in TV modulator and connect it to a LCD TV using an RF lead.

I use a Microsoft Basic optical USB mouse with an Atari to USB adapter. The adapters are widely available for sale on the Internet auction sites.

ST game disks tend to have some form of protection in the formatting which stops them being copied and so these cannot be created on a PC. There are some un-protected games that may work by copying them on a PC to floppy disk. You could try using the HxC floppy Emulator software (link below to download it) and download some STX game images from http://www.atarimania.com. If the HxC emulator software allows you to click on "Disk Browse" and you see the files then you can probably extract the files to a folder then copy them onto a floppy disk.

HxC floppy Emulator: http://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_drive_emulator/HxCFloppyEmulator_soft.zip

Thanks guys, will need to check this out.

So, I think I understand that even if my monitor is capable of displaying the color resolutions the cable I have now would not be wired up properly to output them. Correct?

On the wiki article there is a link to this vendor:

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/monadapt.htm

The web page is a bit verbose, but it seems like he has a cable for $55 that will display all 3 modes on a single cable without switch? On his pic, what is the connector next to the Atari DIN plug? It looks like an RF connector of some sort?

Hi Kremlar, The RCA connector on the Best Electronics cable is I think for audio output. The Atari ST monitor port also has sound output.

I see that you have the STF model. If I recall correctly, the F model only outputs monitor frequencies.

STFM models also had a RF modulator output on channel 3 or 4 and as a consequence could output composite video.

Unfortunately, your best option with the F model is to check out the link by kodak80 in post #9 and find a compatible monitor that can sync to the lower frequencies used for ST low and medium resolution, at least if you want color video and games. :)

I think you can buy a scan converter to upscale Atari RGB to modern frequencies, but I'm not sure what is required.

As for software, yes you can download .ST and .MSA disk images from the internet. Search google for 'Automation Menu Disks' and you will get an idea of what is out there.

If you have an older Windows PC with built in floppy drive, there is software for writing the images to disk.

The trick today is finding double density 3.5in floppy disks!

Thanks for all the help guys!

Unfortunately, your best option with the F model is to check out the link by kodak80 in post #9 and find a compatible monitor that can sync to the lower frequencies used for ST low and medium resolution, at least if you want color video and games. :)

I don't think I'll have trouble finding a compatible monitor. Unless I'm missing something the issue is similar to the Amiga. I already have a couple of displays with VGA inputs that handle all the low frequency Amiga resolutions.

So, I think I just need to find the right cable...

Thanks for all the help guys!

I don't think I'll have trouble finding a compatible monitor. Unless I'm missing something the issue is similar to the Amiga. I already have a couple of displays with VGA inputs that handle all the low frequency Amiga resolutions.

So, I think I just need to find the right cable...

Cool...good to hear. The two machines are similar enough that you should have a easy time.

I am coming from the opposite direction...long time ST user, interested in Amiga through emulation.

The software for both is hugely available online which is really good. :)

1 - I guess I need a mouse. I believe Amiga mice will not work. Any reasonable alternative, or should I just grab an ST mouse off eBay?

Without a mouse there are two temporary solutions to use. One is your keyboard: By holding down the alternate key you can move the mouse cursor with your arrow keys. By holding down alternate + shift the mouse cursor moves slower, but more smoothly.

The second is to use a small autoboot program that you place in an auto folder, on a floppy disk for example. The program I had in mind is DC Mouse Stick (it's a very small program, I have attached it in this post):

DC Mouse Stick allows you to use a joystick to emulate a mouse on the ST,
STe or TT computer. You can plug the joystick into port 0 (normal mouse
port) or port 1 (joystick port).
============
INSTALLATION
============
>To install DC MOUSE STICK, do this:
------------------------------------
1) Copy DCMSTICK.PRG to your AUTO folder.
2) Reset your computer.
When you bootup up, DC Mouse Stick will display a message and will install.
NOTE: If you run it from the desktop, you will be in CONFIGURATION mode.
=============
CONFIGURATION
=============
You can configure certain parameters which define DC MOUSE STICK's operation:
a) To use joystick port 0 or 1
b) The maximum speed DC MOUSE STICK will travel up/down or left/right
c) The minimum speed DC MOUSE STICK will travel up/down or left/right
d) The time to go from minimum to maximum speed
e) Whether DC MOUSE STICK uses a constant mouse speed

dcmstick.zip

3 - Any other suggestions to get moving forward?

Regarding how to hook it up to receive a low or medium resolution. I'm a European, so I don't know if this could work or not, but I was thinking of using this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-Way-Scart-Selector-Switch-Box-Unit-Video-AV-TV-Splitter-RCA-Output-Composite-/370911629803?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item565c0e51eb

...which has composite out, with this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Atari-ST-High-Quality-RGB-GOLD-Scart-AV-Lead-Video-Cable-TV-Lead-2mtr-/250978089310?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3a6f75b95e

Could this work? Or will there be problems?

I don't think the plain STF has a composite out line. The STFM does do composite out thru a pin on the monitor port and there is a RF modulator for using with a TV on channel 2 or 3. The 'M' stands for modulator. ;)

With that cable...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Atari-ST-High-Quality-RGB-GOLD-Scart-AV-Lead-Video-Cable-TV-Lead-2mtr-/250978089310?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3a6f75b95e

...you don't need a modulator as it plugs into the monitor port. But instead of being a VGA cable meant for high resolution, it's a RGB SCART cable meant for low and medium resolutions. (You used that port as well, when connecting to color monitors). I have one of those myself, which I have hooked up to a smaller LCD TV, which gives a decent enough picture. But I know you don't have SCART in America, and that's why I referred to the SCART Selector/Switch Box, which has composite output.

I don't think the plain STF has a composite out line. The STFM does do composite out thru a pin on the monitor port and there is a RF modulator for using with a TV on channel 2 or 3. The 'M' stands for modulator. ;)

that right, the STF doesnt have composite output, instead the pin for composite out is a combined horizontal/vertical signal output. but you could hook it up to a gbs8200 vga board, it accepts that signal, you would just have to make a cable

• Like 1