IGNORED

ATARI GAMER Limited Printed Edition OUT NOW !

powersoft

Hallo community,

this is Markus of PRO ( C ) ATARI Magazine and I can announce here a special project:

Do you already know

ATARI GAMER XL/XE Game Review Edition

PDF Magazine release by Darren Doyle?

If you know of this, you know:

- there are cool reviews inside

- there are amazing interviews inside

- and you know the layout is incredible

To sad it was only a PDF Magazine.

As I personally do not like the elctronic way at least.

I am one of these old faishoned styled guys loves printed magazines.

This is also the reason, my PRO ( C ) ATARI Magazine only available in printed format.

Ok, but back to topic:

I done a single copy of the ATARI GAMER Magazine in my local copy shop. But the quality is hmm, will say ok and the binding not perect, at least it was expensive. So I asked Darren to make this project happen and release his PDF magazine as Limited Edition in a printed format. And so we done it and it is finished:

The magazine is

29,7cm height by 21cm width

full colored printed

with 250gr paper envelope

and 135 gloosy paper inside

So a high-quality and strong magazine at the end.

The magazine festures on 72 amazing layoutet pages:

- Atari Time Tunnel

- Atari Fun Facts

- 2 Interviews

- System Focus on 130XE

- Atari 8bit Trivia

- 60 Game Reviews

- Atari Computers in Europe in the 80ies

- 8bit Lost Games You'll Never See

- 20 Homebrew Game Reviews

Get your amazing copy of this limited print-run NOW...

With the purchase you also not get only a special collectors items, also:

- you support our work on PRO ( C ) ATARI Magazine

- you support the work of releasing other great releases for our beloved system

- you support the work of Darren Doyle and his team to release more great Magazines

- you say: Atari rules !

Due the limited print run it is not reall cheap at the end, but if you hold the magazine in your hand you recognize: Every single cent was worth purchasing the magazine and when you read it finally, you would def. think: "The magazine would worth tripe price"

So what to do to purchase:

Please send PayPal-Payment of Euro 15,00 (incl. standart shipment - if you prefer I should send registrated service please add euro 2,50) to

8bit<at>proc-atari<dot>de

Any question also to this email adress. And please do no forget to include your mailing adress, thanks.

Have fun with this amazing work!

Cheers

Markus

post-38004-0-87875300-1436170399_thumb.jpg

post-38004-0-54377400-1436170411_thumb.jpg

post-38004-0-90134600-1436170428_thumb.jpg

post-38004-0-67739800-1436170447_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

I very proud to support this as it was a life long dream to eventully see my pubications in print for anybody to enjoy in the manner it was originally intended to be, and was extremely excited when Powersoft contacted me in making it a reality, it might be a littl bit costy, but these are an incredble limited run and it will give whom ever purchases the magazine a great sense of the Atari 8-bit and knowing that you will own a special limited run copy of the magazine that isn't widely availible, so I wish to thank Powersoft for making this happen and if it is a success , I can't see why the Atari ST Gamer magazine series (Issue 2 in production) becoming a reality either.

thanks to everyone who has supported the Atari Gamer Magazine, you really are true Atari fans and I thank you from the bottom of my heart on that.

Cheers

Darren.

Edited by Greyfox
  • Like 2

:-) Ahhh, Atari Gamer returns.

It was after dipping my toe into the water with this i actually got off my arse and started reaching out to interview various coders for myself (so far you've seen David Fox, David Lubar, John Croudy, with quotes from Simon Butler regarding A8 stuff, at least 1 more hopefully to come).
In hindsight wish i'd done this a lot earlier as well as looked 'properly' into Lost A8 games by contacting folks in this manner, but back then i honestly thought no-one would reply as i did'nt 'write for' any major publication..how wrong i was :-).
Still at least Atari Gamer proved to be the spring board as it were and lessons learned were put to good effect for ST Gamer Vol 1/Volume and various sites have benifited from my Lost Games research to some degree inc this one.
I too prefer physical mags, but i'm very much aware that sheer costs involved sadly don't make for a reality 9 times out of 10.
Great to see this get a 2nd wind as it were and a physical release to boot.
  • Like 2

Regarding the factual inaccuracies that may still be in the printed version:

As you'll recal from our chats after Atari Gamer was released STeVe, i was naive/wet enough behind the ears to take various Lost Games claims at 'face value' from certain sources and that proved to be a costly mistake and again, no offence was meant way back then and valuable lessons were learned.

From that 1 mistake, it then came to light just how much The Press itself had gotten incorrect and where possible i've sought out and put questions to the people involved in the games themselves.

It's been a hit n miss process, whilst i was lucky enough to reach John Croudy (TGM's Druid 2 claim was utter rubbish), Adam Billyard (as certain AA posters will know as i put a Q or 2 to him on their behalf :-) ) and had Questions put to Gremlin's Ian Stewart on my behalf (C+VG's 7800 claims for example, turned out to be utter rubbish), as you'll be aware...i sadly never managed to reach coders of The Living Daylights.

The magazine was not altered in any way from its original state and to mention that this is not the premise for re-authoring a magazine that came out a year ago now, so I would have to say no it has not been taken out as of the time of the research before initial release the information was included. The lost games feature is not the main feature or the reason why people are asked to purchase the magazine or the reason to own it.

I will openly admit that information at the time was relieve but since then has been mis-quoted with an inaccurate research regard the shadow of the beast lost game on behalf of Jet boot Jack (Stephen Goss), readers can choose to ignore this within the magazine.

Thanks for your interest.

Cheers

Darren.

• Like 1

The 2 coders of Zoids i did find, emailed etc to check Press claims, but never had a reply.

Point i'm making here simply is Atari Gamer was simply a very sharp learning curve and where possible, as much follow-up work (be it as simple as saying sorry you were miss-quoted, i trusted wrong source or tracking down coders to put press claims in front of) as human possible has been carried out.

ST Gamer Vol 1 and Vol 2's research benifited a lot from looking at what i got wrong with Atari Gamer and i'm not ashamed to admit i made a lot of mistakes back then.

What is interesting though is i've seen material taken from it (an answer to a question about potential hardware units sold, 'adjusted upwards' and used in a recent-ish professional publication) so i'm not sure if we'll ever see all the mistakes corrected, if new ones are going to appear outside of our control, based on information within it :-)

To put things into balance somewhat, do professional magazines like Gamestm or Retro Gamer correct mistakes made in articles, when said articles are re-printed in the special collected editions ie Gamestm Presents Retro Vol.... or RetroGamer does RetroGamer:The Collection editions?

As there have been a good few factual inaccuracies there, such as ST Myth being released (that info direct from System 3, another source i'd spoken to since Atari Gamer was out, but Mark Cale sadly did't send Q's back with answers and does'nt want to talk about canned games, no matter what the format) or ST Defender Of The Crown appeared on ST 1st....

Or do they simply reprint articles as were and go with concept of enthusiasm for subject material over accuracy?.I wonder as they have a far bigger pool of researchers/freelancers etc to tap into than we had.

So, yes..mistakes were made, lessons learned, follow up's down where possible, findings shared for free online where possible.

Not ideal, but best option in hindsight.

Just to clear up all this confusion over factual inaccuracies:

As was explained to Steve at the time, as Atari Gamer was always going to have a very limited market (as will the physical edition) and i have a full time job, an incorrect version of events which had been stated as fact online was (sadly) used.No offence was meant and since then i've taken Steve's sage advice and contacted everyone where possible, cue interviews in ST Gamers, Classic Console and found here:

http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=50063&hilit=interview+blowout

They've proven to be a real treasure trove in themselves.

I'd since tracked said quote back to it's original source (Atarimania) where it remains to this day...

So i guess that too could do with removing so others don't fall into same trap i have at times, by beliving X just because it's featured in or on Y.

I just don't want a simple error on my part to detract from what Atari Gamer attempted to do.

Many thanks.

Dear community...

slowly I am really sick of handling from some parts of the so called "scene"...

If you already ordered your ATARI GAMER printed issue be happy.

I need to stop no selling this issue as mister K. sent a lawyer report.

As he got problems with the original release of Darren Doyle.

End of the game:

I lost again a lot of money and need to bring remaining to garbage.

Thanks K. for destroying the scene and the work of any active.

There is no excuse for such handling for 30 printed magazines.

Edited by powersoft
  • Like 1

Well, that's drawn a very thick line under pretty much everything then.

Not a cat in hells chance of ST Gamer Vol 1 and 2 now getting physical releases.....

(And as for any concerns over poorly sourced material, these can be laid to rest, espically since at least 1 interview seemed to make it's way in various forms to numerous other places, let alone other material featured....)

And basically this is why we cannot have nice things it seems.

@powersoft: This pretty much nails it':There is no excuse for such handling for 30 printed magazines'

Exactly, for all it's sins Atari Gamer had pretty much run it's course a long time ago, this would of simply been a niche experiment, testing the waters for possible physical release of ST Gamer's...

Don't loose faith in the community, we saw similar with Unseen64 looking for writers for the book, lot of people only interested if it was a paid for role, rather than love of subject material.

It happens to every community.

Edited by Lost Dragon

Sadly nothing is going to reverse what's happened here, powersoft has no doubt been burnt enough by recent events, those that wanted a physical copy of Atari Gamer let alone ST Gamer Vol 1 or 2 have had that opp.snatched away and there's nothing but the danger of a thread lock here if reasons why things might have turned out this way are entered into.

Best to simply draw a line under it, learn from the experience and plan any future publications, physical or digital with a few thoughts in mind ensuring you've the correct mindset as well as 'skills' onboard and research things as well as possible, where ever humanly possible, rather than going in blind on good faith.

Hard enough work getting the material together for future publications/Atari related articles, without turning this pretty poor turn of events into a car crash.

Edited by Lost Dragon

Yes I won't be silenced by someone who not only has on many attempts to ridicule, slather and dam right lie to his peers for his own self-indulgent narcissistic superiority, you can all thank Mr.Kieran Hawkens a.k.a. KIZZA - a.k.a The Laird. who;'s account was recently provoked and removed here at Atari Age. And to set the record straight here people not in the loop as to be kept in the dark so it all looks nice and tidy and clean from Hawkens perspective, this Individual was send Markus a cease and desist letter claim that infringement of copyright content aka his reviews, XE system focus and his Homebrew Reviews are deemed copyright and withheld permission by Kieren Hawkens for use in a printed publication, but happily allowed it to be okay with a digital distribution in which people could print their own copies to the same end.

Now for the facts regarding this. The cease and desist letter that he send Markus hold no weight whats so ever in a jurisdiction outside the united Kingdom from where this has been issued, secondly, The magazine "Atari Gamer Magazine™" is owned and copyrighted to me (Darren Doyle) and at no time will it be legal binding or held in any form or fact of credibility or licence of this product that Kieren Hawkens can have Claim, comment, influence in any form, dictate, insist or command on this product and this is from my Solicitor, he has the right to retain achknowledgement for his content, as when Atari Gamer Magazine began selling Mr.Hawkens felt that it was time to change his mind regarding our arrangement at the time.

The Arrangement was that reviews that where to be used in the Atari Gamer Magazine were initially donated because they already existed on the Retro Video Gamer forums, since which have all been removed as well as every other contribution Mr.Hawken donated to the site at the time. But there was a falling out between us, Kieren insisted that he proof read the magazine to which (with it been my product) I did not wish to disclose any information to him regarding that, because I had another contributor to which Mr.Hawkens had a strong disliking to, I won’t mention this person’s name, but because of lack of influence on me and my product, he was told no and when he found out that this other entity was involved, he threatened to demand all his reviews ect. be removed from the magazine. I said no, they will be going through and that this was extremely low tactic to pull on at the time a friend , considering we produced the Homebrew Heroes Magazine in which he credited nobody other than himself, Have a look

for clarification, there was a team of 9 people that worked on that magazine which got no mention from Mr.Hawkens during this promotion.

I had to resort to refreshing Mr.Hakwens memory on things that I had helped him on in order to sway his decision on his stance on the Atari Gamer Magazine. Many of you are aware of “The Laird’s 9 Lives Jaguar Video CD” well Mr.Hakwens original plan was to create footage of lost games on the Atari Jaguar which Lost Dragon has put to rest and proved that Mr.Hawkens Fantasy department doing over time. To design the boxart , CD print in which he would do a limited run of 20 copies at about £20-£30 pound each and spilt the profits between himself and me. Ohh and that Power Slide Atari Jaguar footage is a complete fabrication, that is 3DO footage I was asked to capture for him and passed off as Atari Jaguar footage. This project ended up being portrayed as a Charity fund raiser raising each dvd to now £40 and in any quantity, so who know how many that were actually sold for charity and how many where not. There is also a great many other things I worked with Kieren on and won’t list them here.

So as time passed by Kieren Hawkens begins making up a story to tell all his facebook fans that he was never paid for his reviews that went into Atari Gamer magazine and that he had be scammed and ripped off firstly attempting to damage my reputation while promoting Atari Gamer magazine here and many other places of interest in creating awareness for the magazine since nothing like this has been seen in over 20 years or will ever be done again. Mr.Hawkens must of thought,” ere, I can’t have this?, somebody profiting off my reviews, screw the fact the this person has gotten me out of a hole with my own projects on numerous occasions, ohh no, I can’t have let Greyfox away with this type of thing…” So you can see that at this point the partnership was truly panned and dusted never ever to be reunited in any form, caused me to approach Mr. hawken with a friendly settlement of £25 pounds paid to his PayPal account for reviews that have been sat on RVG forums for at least 1 to 2 years on a niche computer in a niche magazine. Total sales of Atari Gamer to date have been 89 sales in total at $2.99 which is a total of £266 pounds to which £25 went to mr.Hawkens who at the time happily agreed and was satisfied with that for his contribution to Atari Gamer magazine and at no time was there any form of conditions or demands for either a digital release or in the event of a printed release of the magazine. and the rest went into production of Atari ST gamer issue costs and Atari Gamer magazine costs. At no time has this product been a steady income for me or that I have made any form of a living from this product. The premise was to celebrate the unsung hero that is the Atari 8-bit computer to which I have and the many people who supported the magazine accomplished.

So fast forward to today when only no more than two weeks ago Markus approached me with the great possibility of having the magazine in print, all I can say was how over whelmed I was for this to happen and began reconstructing the magazine for printing (margin and guides etc) for it only to be torn down by Mr.Hawkens based on the grounds of profiteering on his work, ignoring all the work I put into the design, layout and even extra content show and proves how self-centred husk of person he is and has ruined for those who will never see this in their hands, even to the under mining of his own conscience read his reviews presented in a manner he’ll never see again. Way da go Kieren way da go..

I have always been honest and fair and have answered all questions put to me both negatively and positively here on this forum and anywhere else I am a member, my goal is and was to deliver something special to those who want it and appreciate the efforts not for money, notoriety or rep, but for the communities who like myself have grown up with all this and try to bring a piece of nostalgia to the scene. Thank god he has had no involvement with Atari ST Gamer magazine other than bad repp-ing that as well from grammar and the likes and have a payment share scheme with contributors if there is a decent profit made..

I ask that admin or moderators please leave this post, for those who may find themselves in the company of this individual and as he will demand that it be removed, sighting his side of the story, people that know me, and I mean know, know that I would never fabricate , ruin, riducle anybody unfairly or slathered them , I have nothing to gain or benefit by doing so.

Kind regards

Darren Doyle

Edited by Greyfox
  • Like 1

I guess I don't know whether the magazine is still available in print form or not?

I hate to see this type of in-fighting in the community. The community is small enough.

No.

There's no infighting, there's one disease of a person who continues to cause nothing but pointless trouble wherever he goes - read the thread...

• Like 7

I guess I don't know whether the magazine is still available in print form or not? Has it been stopped?

I hate to see this type of in-fighting in the community. The community is small enough.

Hi Randy,

No the magazine has not been discontinued in any form , people may still if they wish can purchase it digitally, Mr.Hawkens statements bear no weight in any capacity regarding Atari Gamer Magazine, he has no entitlements or influence to it in any form now or ever. Unfortunately it takes something of this nature to happen to reveal the true motivations and intentions of somebody insecurities they feel is disrupting their livelihood because they contribute something that is of value to them, which I respect, but not in this case or manner.

I will continue work on my ST magazines with a new one out very soon and hope people will support it and to prevent something like ever happening again. I will say if I decide to do a print run of Atari Gamer Magazine I will have full presidency over it as the creator and owner of the magazine and its content, regardless of what any one claims or attempts to tear down will make the light out day, that is a promise Mr.Hawkens.

There is also no need that I need to be told "I told you so" as the parnership with Mr.Hawkens was dissolved well over a year ago, shortly after Atari Gamer Magazine was released, it is what it is nothing more. And I wish Mr.Hawkens good luck with what ever he does.

Kind regards

Darren.

• Like 2

Wow Foxy, you sure do talk a lot of shit. I happen know Mr. Hawken (no S by the way) and I happen to very familiar with you too, going back a long way to when we met at that retro event you were filming, forget the name. Anyway, I should probably correct a few things here given that Kieren hasn't yet been given the chance too (Albert really should sort that out)

1. I am not 100% sure on the agreements you had in place with Atari Gamer but I know Kieren and I know that he would not be stupid enough to give up on the copyrights of his own work unless he was being pad very well for it. Whether Atari Gamer is your mag or not is meaningless, Kieren still wrote a large amount of the content in it and having bought the mag from you and being a member on RVG too I happen to know that only SOME of those reviews were taken from the review guide on the forum. I remember being particularly happy at seeing all the homebrew stuff in the mag that I hadn't seen before. I also remember much chatter about this mag over RVG when it was being done, and it was very much being touted as a joint project with Kieren writing and you designing. No idea how Ross got involved, especially after he was banned from RVG for being a raving idiot who couldn't stop PM'ing people with his bizarre conspiracy theories, I ended up having to put him on block.

2. I bought 9 Lives and it was a nice product, I was especially pleased to see the money going to charity. I am not sure how or why this product is always thrown back at Kieren when it was a collaboration between a number of different people (as the credits state). It was always stated that Kieren would only do a limited run, for charity and he even posted photos on RVG of the money being handed over to the charity (Magic Moments) along with the total amount raised. It is frankly pretty disgusting of you to claim otherwise, especially when you damn well know about Kieren's own health problems and why this charity was chosen. I also remember the discussions about 9 Lives on the forum and the posts etc. which all stated that nobody was going to profit from 9 Lives, it was all going to charity, so your claims are just fantasy.

3. Being friends with you both on Facebook I also remember it all kicking off over Atari Gamer when it all went sour and how it turned out. The fact is Darren that you never paid Kieren for his work on Atari Gamer and it was only when he threatened you with legal action that you paid him something to get him off your back, it never should have come to that, it was really out of order.

4. I am also well aware of the Homebrew Heroes stuff having helped on that mag in a albeit small capacity and I was also at the Revival show too. Kieren was always very quick to credit everyone involved in that mag and in all his presentations over the weekend he was very complentary about your design and graphics. The credits page was up on the big screen for everyone to see, so yet again your just talking out of your arse. I also notice how you haven't mentioned that after Kieren left RVG (for his own personal reasons despite what you say)you tried to sell Homebrew Heroes yourself, taking all the profit from it having made no agreement with Kieren or the rest of the team. That was bang out of order and you should be ashamed of that, especially when you tried to claim that you were the copyright holder even though the magazine said otherwise!

5. Now we go forward to today and I saw it all kick off in the Pro © group on Facebook too and it's a shame so many of the comments have now been deleted or we could all see the truth for ourselves. The fact is that you and Markus announced this print version of Atari Gamer without even bothering to speak to Kieren about it knowing full well that over half the mag was his material. What's worse is that you removed any mention of him too, crediting the whole thing to yourself (and you are accusing others of being egomaniacs!). Kieren asked that it not be sold until he had spoken with Markus about it and you started kicking off making up lies and throwing insults which ended up in you getting banned from the group. Until you started throwing a hissy fit Kieren was all up for talking about it and I seem to remember that all he requested was a free copy and that the proper credit was given, not much to ask eh? If you hadn't acted like such a prick about it he never would have had to go to the lengths he did to stop it being sold and everyone would be able to enjoy it (well the bits of the mag that make sense anyway cos lets face it, it has more mistakes than helen kellers homework)

Oh and Markus, sort it out mate. You didn't need to lose money, you just needed to be a f**king man and sort it out. You could have solved all this pretty easily and I would bet Kieren lost more money on this bullshit than you, which as you should know full well being his friend, he could definitely do without right now.

I really do wish the retro community would just grow up, act like adults and respect each other, it's not a lot to ask. Making up lies and running to places of no reply is just cowardly and pathetic.