IGNORED

Do You Collect Games to PLAY or PUT on the SHELF?

Does SHELF APPEAL factor into any of your game purchases, or do you stick to only games you plan on playing? Example: say you stumble across a bunch of mediocre or outright awful NES/cartridge games that you don't have in your collection, but they're priced dirt cheap. Do you buy 'em up, thinking that expanding your NES collection would look that much more awesome on display? Fellow AA member SWLOVINIST joins me on this one!

And yes, that is my complete copy of Shaq-Fu :)

• Like 1

I collect the games that I would enjoy, the best ones for the particular system, and ones that are fun and will give me a lot of replay value. I stay away from the horrendous ones. I am very happy with the collection that I have. I don't have Shaq Fu for the cart, but the rom file on the modded xbox. :lol:

Edited by Retrogamer81081
  • Like 1

Nope, nothing for the shelves. I get what I want to play. For cardboarded cartridges, I don't even get the box. If neither I nor my wife like the game and it doesn't have any multiplayer value, I get rid of it; sometimes, not even multiplayer will save a game from being sold. I got rid of my Smash Bros games because I just didn't like them—it helped that they fetched me a pretty penny.

I don't have a thousand games, and have probably sold hundreds. In the end, I don't want clutter, I'm not in it for an "investment", and if we don't like it, it's better off in someone else's home.

Admittedly I end up playing probably a small fraction of the games I buy (I have games still shrinkwrapped from 2010 or so!) but overall the -intent- is to play them. I just don't seem to have the time to sit down and focus on a game the way I use to.

Well, depends on the system. But usually, for my New 3DS for example, I collect and play them. Just started on this system, so it'll be awhile before it starts looking nice and filled in with my choice titles. However, with my Atari 2600, I get cart-only for many games to play, then pick up the complete, boxed version to display. I have a small collection of boxed games at the moment, but a myriad of carts that all get played on a regular basis. My Gamecube has only one game right now, and it sits on the shelve, not being played. I'm attempting to get some titles for that as well. However, the 3DS has priority right now for playing and collecting.

I only keep games that I enjoy playing...but that doesn't mean 'shelf appeal' means nothing to me! Quite the contrary. I care a lot about shelf appeal. That's why I only by CIB games. :grin:

Anything I collect (IN PHYSICAL FORM) gets played. Honestly though, 95% of what I have for my classic machine has been downloaded and put on an SD card. I just don't have the space for that many separate cartridges, besides all the money I save on over-priced carts let's me buy more hardware items. ;-)

• Like 1

Ok to be completely honest about it I collect games hoping that I would have time to play at some point, but all the pressures of life prevent me from ever touching them. For me if I really want to accept the truth, I collect to feed my collecting bug. My stuff goes on the shelf and that's pretty much it sad to say. Wish that weren't true but it is.

Ok to be completely honest about it I collect games hoping that I would have time to play at some point, but all the pressures of life prevent me from ever touching them. For me if I really want to accept the truth, I collect to feed my collecting bug. My stuff goes on the shelf and that's pretty much it sad to say. Wish that weren't true but it is.

I buy them with the intent to play them but I'm way too busy to give them much play time :(

I just started playing Stonix a couple of weeks ago and it's incredible. It was developed in 2003 so it took me 12 years to finally get around to playing it!

I hate to say it... but as much as I know I SHOULD play all the consoles games I have (I mean really, I have a Top Loader, Jaguar CD, Etc.) But to be honest... I just look at em :/ I guess I like REMEMBERING the glory days better than reliving them haha :P

• Like 3

I collect to play, of course that was my original motto when I started collecting. Now with a collection well over 500+ games...well I still buy to play. But to many games, to little time to play them all!!! My games to have look a least somewhat presentable, good labels, disc games should have the case and manual, some blemishes are allowed; missing screws (yup some GB games have missing screws), lightly worn labels, slightly worn boxes etc. So long as its a game I want to play I'll probably purchase it!