IGNORED

TurboGrafx HSC Rules/Questions/Comments Thread

Hey guys!

As NIKON mentioned in the Air Zonk thread, I'm going to be stepping in as the HSC moderator while he tends to his health. I'm sure that we all hope for a quick recovery and will keep him in our AA-related thoughts. As I told him privately, I will happily hand the TG-16 HSC reins back to him if he gets to a point where he can once again steer the ship.

Right now, just by coincidence, the current round of the NES HSC and the TG-16 HSC started and will stop on the same day, so I am just going to keep that pattern going as it makes it easier for me to take care of them in a timely manner.

Basically I want to get a bunch of feedback from you guys to see if anyone wants to make any changes to the way things are currently done. If you don't want that, that is also fine.

- NIKON's intention was to let this season run through the end of the year. Is anyone interested in having shorter seasons of maybe 10 2-week rounds, as the NES HSC is run? If so, do you want to end the current season early?

- Does everyone like having the TG-CD HSC use month-long rounds or would you rather they be the same length as the HuCard HSC?

- Would you guys prefer if the list of games for the season were pre-determined so that you have a chance to give some input, or do you prefer to just be surprised every week?

The rules that NIKON laid out for the HSC are all common-sense, so I'm not going to make any changes to them whatsoever. What they really come down to is don't cheat, don't use old scores, don't play in an unsportsmanlike manner (i.e. point-farming or point-leeching), and screenshots are great but at the end of the day we're on the honor system.

Thanks guys!

Chris

- NIKON's intention was to let this season run through the end of the year. Is anyone interested in having shorter seasons of maybe 10 2-week rounds, as the NES HSC is run? If so, do you want to end the current season early?

10 round seasons work best in my opinion, with 15 perhaps the maximum number of rounds to keep things competitive and interesting. My vote is 10 rounds / season.

As for the current season, from my perspective I don't think I can catch up with coleco1981 in the leaderboard, so the overall winner is pretty much decided at this point. Some people who played in few early rounds resigned a while ago, maybe they would come back if we started next season. So my vote is to end the season early.

Also, I like the F1 scoring you're using for the NES HSC - it allows for more movement in the leaderboard and makes it more interesting.

- Does everyone like having the TG-CD HSC use month-long rounds or would you rather they be the same length as the HuCard HSC?

I think it's fine as it is. Not many people compete anyway and for me personally it's mostly a way of discovering new games I wouldn't perhaps play otherwise.

- Would you guys prefer if the list of games for the season were pre-determined so that you have a chance to give some input, or do you prefer to just be surprised every week?

My preference is the predetermined list based on competitors' suggestions.

glad to see you back in the IGBY tournament!

With so many great games chosen for this year's IGBY I plan to be more active this time. Found your discussion on highscore.com, with link to tournament forum you've set up. I'll register there when I have time later today, to share tips etc.

• Like 1

Hey guys!

As NIKON mentioned in the Air Zonk thread, I'm going to be stepping in as the HSC moderator while he tends to his health. I'm sure that we all hope for a quick recovery and will keep him in our AA-related thoughts. As I told him privately, I will happily hand the TG-16 HSC reins back to him if he gets to a point where he can once again steer the ship.

Right now, just by coincidence, the current round of the NES HSC and the TG-16 HSC started and will stop on the same day, so I am just going to keep that pattern going as it makes it easier for me to take care of them in a timely manner.

Basically I want to get a bunch of feedback from you guys to see if anyone wants to make any changes to the way things are currently done. If you don't want that, that is also fine.

I'm ok with keeping it short - I think participation has steadily gone down. The shorter the season the more ongoing interest from a larger crowd I think.

I like the 2 week deal - it keeps me interested that way because I play primarily to be exposed to new games I haven't played before. I wouldn't even be opposed to 1 game a week.

I like the surprise personally..

The rules that NIKON laid out for the HSC are all common-sense, so I'm not going to make any changes to them whatsoever. What they really come down to is don't cheat, don't use old scores, don't play in an unsportsmanlike manner (i.e. point-farming or point-leeching), and screenshots are great but at the end of the day we're on the honor system.

Thanks guys!

Chris

Edited by coleco1981

Here's another question. How do people feel about merging the TG-16 and TG-CD HSCs into a single entity? Is there anyone here who doesn't have the means to play TGCD games with proper hardware who also has an issue using an emulator for those rounds?

Here's another question. How do people feel about merging the TG-16 and TG-CD HSCs into a single entity? Is there anyone here who doesn't have the means to play TGCD games with proper hardware who also has an issue using an emulator for those rounds?

NIKON asked about it before this season and the previous season he moderated. In the end it was split because people either didn't have the means to play CD games or just weren't interested. Right now the TG-CD HSC has only 3 more or less regular competitors, so not much has changed. I found an emulator (Turbo Engine 16) that runs most of these games, though not without problems, have to play some of them with sound muted etc.

I'm against the merger, it would only limit the participation in the TG-16 HSC.

OK. That being the case, I would be leaning more towards leaving the Turbo CD HSC at 1 month intervals, then. Although I would like to hear from the Turbo CD HSC participants.

Magic Engine does a very good job emulating both HuCards and CDs, but it isn't free.

OK, we will definitely keep the two HSCs separate, then. I am going to let this season go for one more round (because 15 rounds seems like a nice number), and then start a new season using the same scoring scheme that we use in the NES HSC, and 10 round seasons.

Since a couple of people mentioned liking being "surprised" by the game suggestions, we are going to to a little of both. Some of the games will be pre-determined, with a few wildcards thrown in to keep things interesting.

Anyone wanting to make game suggestions should feel free to do so now. I am going to go back through the HSC and see what we may not have played recently, and use that to put together a list of games to suggest.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I just finished compiling a master list of the top 3 scores for every game that we have ever played in the TG16 HSC, much like the one that we have in the NES HSC. I also made a spreadsheet of every game that we've played and when we played them, which will help in picking games for upcoming rounds.

I should have new rounds for both the HuCard and CD HSCs up tomorrow.

• 6 years later...