IGNORED

Designing a TRULY PORTABLE TI-99/4A

Omega-TI

If you a find a working Percom Data card it would probably fit inside your commodore case. I have several Percom cards, that I got when I bought a business 20 years ago, that needed repair. Don't know if that card could be converted to run DSDD, but something like that could work for you. It uses a ribbon cable to interface to the TI. I was building a portable TI of my own, after getting that issue of Micropendium back then, in a Kaypro II case, still have plans on finishing it in the future.

Here is another attempt to upload a picture of a Percom card. I am on Hughes net and am only allocated 250 MB per day upload and download combined, except between 2 and 7 AM so here is my final attempt for tonight. I have tried with the Flash downloader and attempt failed and now with the basic downloader, but I do not see the picture I just supposedly just uploaded. If it does not show up as I add this reply then I will try again later in the day.

• Like 1

Here, finally I have a picture of the Percom unit. This was housed in an external drive case along with a half-height 360k (I am assuming) 5 1/4" floppy drive. I still have one case and will have to dig it out of storage to make a photo, but it had the Percom name on the front of the case. It was attached to the TI via a ribbon cable with simple 44 pin connectors and plugged into the wall like an external TI Floppy.

post-41593-0-96617800-1436627164_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the nice picture of the TX99's board, RickyDean. I actually have a TX99--and used it as one of my primary disk systems for many years. The drives can be single or double sided--but the card is single-density only (it is based on the WD1771 FDC chip), so they give you either 90K or 180K when using standard 180K or 360K drive mechanisms. They only work with 40-track drives.

The connector you have pictured is just right, Gazoo. It is especially nice to have the solder tabs on there, as that will make it a lot easier to assemble the cable. I also have a few of the wire-wrap type connectors I used on the PEB extender boards left, assuming those would be helpful here.

The connector you have pictured is just right, Gazoo. It is especially nice to have the solder tabs on there, as that will make it a lot easier to assemble the cable. I also have a few of the wire-wrap type connectors I used on the PEB extender boards left, assuming those would be helpful here.

Thanks, I've ordered 2 of them. They do look easier to solder than wire wrap connectors would be.

Gazpp

I got everything I needed to test this console-to-card cable setup. The cable has been put together, connections have been double and triple checked with a meter, also checked for shorts. The cable is as described in the chart on Stuart's website. http://www.avjd51.dsl.pipex.com/ti/ti.htm

The problem I'm having is that it is currently read only. I can catalog an existing floppy fine, and everything behaves normally in that respect. But I cannot format or write to a disk. I get disk error 38. It goes through the formatting process, but when the heads reset to the first track the error 38 comes up. Putting the FDC card in the pbox with the same drive results in everything working ok, formatting again works.

Anyone got any ideas? Is there something the TI FDC requires for writing that it does not require for reading?

Gazoo

Hi Gazoo,

all my systems were working fine up to yesterday, no screwing or so, and then I got this strange behaviour on this 2 (!) machines

1 PEB with the original TI-CTRL with 5.25" & 3.5",

1 PEB with MyArc DDCC-1, with HxC & 3.5" ext. & 5.25"

5.25" floppies can read but have write-errors, and on formatting, they start initializing, having these sounds,

go ahead to the format/sectors-start with that >0 (counting)

and then dies with " Disk Error 31 and/or 32 ".....

On one system, I have changed the 5.25"-floppy against a mostly new and same one, but no change.

HxC & 3.5"-drives work fine on both systems.

absolutely no idea @ the moment....

will look for the cabling now, and look for some fresh disks.....

I am "sure" I have mutiple errors at the same time, on 2 systems.

This is my only explanation at the moment.....

... 3 HOURS LATER :)

OK, systems are running again now :)

Don´t ask me what exactly has happened....

I dismounted & cleaned again both old 5.25er-drives

(in the changed "new" drive I found a small part hahaha which I had to remove - this small covershield from top of the head)

On one PEB I changed the floppycable as it looked a bit suspicious.

It was a "crossed" cable I had changed to "straight" some times ago.

With a sigh I took my last brandnew "straight" 1-meter-FDD-cable...

I also reseated the controllers and the cables at the controllers. Now all is running fine.

This it not concerning your prob, as you are changing this sideport-cable if I am right,

but what I wanted to tell here: DON´T GIVE UP :) re-check it all :)

schmitzi

TI-PHP1240-Errorcodes (on DiskManager-Cart):

post-41141-0-38383200-1437308426_thumb.jpg

Hi Schmitzi,

it is something similar I had as well, when copying all disks / transferring them to the PC.

Every 7-10 disks, I had to clean the "head" of the disk drive with isopropyl alcohol pads then I could read

the (same) disks again after that (per suggestion of my father) something like this I was using:

http://i00.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/535/901/476/476901535_196.jpg

(but you need to slide out the disk drives each time (discussion we had before on FaceBook):

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=366055860240737&set=p.366055860240737&type=1

Initially I though it had to do here with the weather 37+ degree celcius, high level of humidity, etc.

(Coincidentally yesterday the seller in the Play Station shop mentioned some issues with PS/4 systems

as well, need to do the eject using remote controller and not the button on the DVD-player as hands get

dirty and affect the system, need to rebuild the database)....so we are not alone.

What's in a name Sony PS/4 vs TI-99/4A

both 4 (in China it means .... bad luck, something like "to die")

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numbers_in_Chinese_culture#Four

Now luckily the TI put the 9 in it (twice!):

The number 9 is a homophone of the word for "long lasting" (久).

I think this community and the TI has proven that, it never stops :-)

• Like 2

I could actually see that one indicating a super-slow, long-lasting death from the numerological standpoint, Globeron. That might not be a good analogy for us at all--although a lot of the new hardware is having its circuit boards etched in China, so there is a Chinese connection to the newest developments helping to keep the TI alive. Arguably, the software side is doing a much better job of that though--and those developments are coming from many talented folks all over the place. :)

• Like 1

...so I love my lucky house-number 7 :)

3 MORE hours later:

yes Ronald, I remember that thread. Here yesterday, it was the first act to pull the drives out to give them a nice cleaning job

with some fine old Whiskey on the cotton-swab :) But in this case, it did not help.

I really think there was something wrong on the cables or the connectors..... and one drive seems to have an issue.

Maybe the internal used 3.5"-drive, where I did not look on the terminator-packs, just ignored that topic months´ ago :)

I have 2 pcs. 5.25"-drives NOT running with the 3.5" together, mounted inside the PEB. But running good with other 5.25er....

But I have figured out 3 pcs. 5.25"-drives which work fine with the 3.5"er, so I have a "workaround" now.

I think, in this one specific PEB-problem (5.25+3.5 w/o HxC-one) it depends on something like jumpers or terminators.

Next thing to test is to connect the 3.5"er on the external plug of the controller, and test one of the "non"-working 5.25"er

inside the PEB, to see if that works. I cannot remember about terminators or terminator-jumpers on the 3.5"er-drives ever....

Maybe this is the point here.

I got everything I needed to test this console-to-card cable setup. The cable has been put together, connections have been double and triple checked with a meter, also checked for shorts. The cable is as described in the chart on Stuart's website. http://www.avjd51.dsl.pipex.com/ti/ti.htm

The problem I'm having is that it is currently read only. I can catalog an existing floppy fine, and everything behaves normally in that respect. But I cannot format or write to a disk. I get disk error 38. It goes through the formatting process, but when the heads reset to the first track the error 38 comes up. Putting the FDC card in the pbox with the same drive results in everything working ok, formatting again works.

Anyone got any ideas? Is there something the TI FDC requires for writing that it does not require for reading?

Gazoo

Is it just this one card you've tested? Ample power to the controller and drive?

Is it just this one card you've tested? Ample power to the controller and drive?

I've got 2 TI FDCs, both do the same thing. 300 watt PC supply, 3.5" floppy drive.

They both work ok in the Pbox with the drive, but get the same error 38 when trying to format or write to the disk when used with the console-to-card cable.

Both read and catalog ok, just won't write.

You're testing with the same cable between the FDC and the drive as well? Good solid earths between everything?

Thanks for chiming in, Stuart.

Yes. I actually tried several drives and cables. All worked in the Pbox, all would read but none would write with the console-to-card cable. This is very perplexing.

I only could imagine that reading is "cheaper" than writing, means reading maybe needs a bit less power than writing.........

Maybe you can plug another card to your new "Ribbon-bus"-cable, like an 32K or so, to see whats happens there,

maybe there is also something "strange" (to get aware that the problem comes/comes not with the cable and/or your FDC/Floppy-construct)

Maybe some of the PC-powersupply´s 5V/12V on the controller-side interferes with the connected 99/4A-power ?

Maybe via the ground (if there is any ground on the "Ribbon-bus", between TI and FDC)

Maybe also change the console, against a QI, if you have....

Maybe, as every time is told to use Slot-8 for the controller, maybe maybe there must be a minimum of distance between ?

Something like signalling latency, jitter, echo or so ?

On Barry´s RapidCopy´s format-function, I saw an "interleave"-parameter today......

Maybe give´m a try to format a floppy with that cool tool, with a very high or very low interleave.....

I'm thinking of putting a TI disk controller card in one of these with Stuart's sideport-to-card cable to connect it with.

There should be room in the top of the case to mount the card. I've never seen one or had one apart, so I'm just guessing.

Can anyone who's seen the inside of one of these provide a little insight?

Gazoo

commodore1541_sm.jpg

Depending on what you plan to place in there? There's not a lot of room. Bear in mind the 1541 had its own 6502 CPU on a circuit-board which stretches the entire length of the drive. All the circuitry is above the floppy-drive.

I have a couple of these if you need internal photos but don't expect to be able to squeeze much in there. Honest!

Thanks for chiming in, Stuart.

Yes. I actually tried several drives and cables. All worked in the Pbox, all would read but none would write with the console-to-card cable. This is very perplexing.

How are you powering the FDC card? Are the voltage regulators still fitted? If yes, might be worth removing them and feeding the regulated power directly to the card, see if that makes a difference (triple-check the power connections before switching on without the regulators!). Have you got a 5 1/4" drive you can test with? [Clutching at straws here!]

How are you powering the FDC card? Are the voltage regulators still fitted? If yes, might be worth removing them and feeding the regulated power directly to the card, see if that makes a difference (triple-check the power connections before switching on without the regulators!). Have you got a 5 1/4" drive you can test with? [Clutching at straws here!]

I'm powering it the same way as my PE box. I have a PC supply in there. Both positive rails are connected to +12 v and the negative rail is connected to -12 v.

No regulators have been removed. It's not a procedure I believe in, too many chances for error. Any system I've configured this way for the past 20 years has worked solidly and I'm not changing things up now. If the card works ok in the PE ox it should work ok with the external pc power supply, By the way I've tried several external PC power supplies, all with the same results.

I've tested with a 5 1/4" drive, no difference.

Ain't too many straws I haven't clutched at!

Edited by Gazoo

Might cable length be the issue? My console-to-card cable is about 15 inches in length.

( straw I haven't yet grasped ).

Sounds a similar length to my cable.

So formatting a disk with Disk Manager gives error 38? Is that actually a valid error number? What happens if you try to do a simple SAVE from BASIC to a formatted disk?