IGNORED

Introducing the IntyBASIC SDK

DZ-Jay

3 hours ago, fotomotoloto said:

How else can you get the code?

Simple answer: You write your own code from the beginning, instead of trying to modify what someone already published.

Every now and then, IntyBASIC sources are posted, primarily to showcase a particular use case more than a complete program, which of course you can utilize and incorporate, but to try to reverse engineer which type of assembly language the compiler might output for a certain scenario of BASIC code is asking a bit too much, unless you have very powerful computers that can try all possible backward combinations.

I explain you better my problem: it’s with the "Game of Ball" and other games listed in Oscar Toledo's book. With my 12yo son we are working on Intybasic, but in many places the text is not so clear. Having the .rom and .bin files of some of the games in the book already available, we wanted to compare what we have understood and written with the files. bas of the games already completed… to better understand our mistakes! I don't know if I have made myself clear... F.

11 minutes ago, fotomotoloto said:

I explain you better my problem: it’s with the "Game of Ball" and other games listed in Oscar Toledo's book. With my 12yo son we are working on Intybasic, but in many places the text is not so clear. Having the .rom and .bin files of some of the games in the book already available, we wanted to compare what we have understood and written with the files. bas of the games already completed… to better understand our mistakes! I don't know if I have made myself clear... F.

Thank you for the explanation; your problem is very clear now.  Unfortunately, that is not possible for the reasons I explained earlier -- at least not in any practical way.

What I recommend you do is to post a question to the forum -- post as many questions as you have on anything that is not clear, or on something about which you would like to learn more.

There are plenty of knowledgeable people in this forum, and they are always willing to help.  You wouldn't be the first to ask such questions related to the book, and in the past someone has always jumped to answer them.  :)

I do suggest that you post individual questions, with a clear title, as separate topics; unless they are all related to the same issue.  That way, other new-comers can find them easily and learn from your experiences.

-dZ.

• Like 1

I just tried to install the latest 1.2.2 installer for Windows and noticed a potential source of problems.  The installer tries to put everything in a folder with a space in it.

"C:\IntyBASIC SDK"

External programs/tools can interpret the space differently - sometimes assuming the " SDK" part is an extra parameter instead of part of the folder name.

I think removing the space would be a good idea and generate less potential end user gotchas.

10 minutes ago, carlsson said:

You can download the example programs from the author's website: https : / / nanochess DOT org / games_book DOT html

DOH!  I have forgotten about that!  Thank you for pointing it out. :dunce:

1 minute ago, Gemintronic said:

I just tried to install the latest 1.2.2 installer for Windows and noticed a potential source of problems.  The installer tries to put everything in a folder with a space in it.

"C:\IntyBASIC SDK"

External programs/tools can interpret the space differently - sometimes assuming the " SDK" part is an extra parameter instead of part of the folder name.

I think removing the space would be a good idea and generate less potential end user gotchas.

Hi, @Gemintronic,

Thanks for the feedback.  You are right, of course.  However, if the user sticks within the tools provided by the SDK, he should be fine, for they all account for this.

I suppose that if the user is attempting to engage the SDK tools and projects from outside the SDK environment, then he probably knows what he is doing.  Also, any respectable tool would account for this by either quoting the argument, or using proper Windows APIs to manage paths.

In such case, all the user needs to remember is that paths should always be quoted in a command-line.  That's just good practice anyway, in any command-line shell. ;)

All that being said, I will consider it for the future.  I would just be concerned in breaking the backwards compatibility, since the installer attempts to "upgrade" the environment in place.

-dZ.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, DZ-Jay said:

Hi, @Gemintronic,

Thanks for the feedback.  You are right, of course.  However, if the user sticks within the tools provided by the SDK, he should be fine, for they all account for this.

I suppose that if the user is attempting to engage the SDK tools and projects from outside the SDK environment, then he probably knows what he is doing.  Also, any respectable tool would account for this by either quoting the argument, or using proper Windows APIs to manage paths.

In such case, all the user needs to remember is that paths should always be quoted in a command-line.  That's just good practice anyway, in any command-line shell. ;)

All that being said, I will consider it for the future.  I would just be concerned in breaking the backwards compatibility, since the installer attempts to "upgrade" the environment in place.

-dZ.

In my experience even savvy Windows users encounter edge cases with spaces in folders that can't be avoided.

For instance: the laptop I use for genesis dev runs best on a version of Windows and particular emulator that hates spaces in folders.  If I change the Windows flavor or emulator I lose a lot of productivity.

In any case, thank you for the consideration!

1 hour ago, DZ-Jay said:

DOH!  I have forgotten about that!  Thank you for pointing it out. :dunce:

Hi, @Gemintronic,

-dZ.

Ok, I'll do that... thanks everyone for the help! 

36 minutes ago, Gemintronic said:

In my experience even savvy Windows users encounter edge cases with spaces in folders that can't be avoided.

For instance: the laptop I use for genesis dev runs best on a version of Windows and particular emulator that hates spaces in folders.  If I change the Windows flavor or emulator I lose a lot of productivity.

In any case, thank you for the consideration!

Fair point.  For the record, I wasn't making an excuse before, I just meant that for now the problem should be a bit on the rare side, and is mitigated by various factors, so I do not feel much pressure in addressing it immediately. ;)

I will definitely consider changing it in the next version.  In the Mac version, I avoided the whole debacle by using a hyphen in the folder name ("IntyBASIC-SDK"), but that version came many years later, so I was already in a mindset to make things better.  I'll probably do the same thing on the next Windows version as well.

Thanks again!

-dZ.

• Thanks 1