IGNORED

2600 Xevious Prototype Found

Red 5

So again is it the Milton Bradley lost title or something else entirely???

Sometimes a lack of details and/or delay is due to someone wanting to hype up & improve what they have in order to put together a final report & possible product that makes it well worth the wait as it helps the lost item shine bright as it would have should have & could have had it seen the light of day.

Other times, they are caused by monkey wrenches and/or the ink not yet being dry on the backdoor side deals.

Of course, it could be neither, and the guys that run this show are just busy with real life.

Good work "Cambouis de l'Atari". I put this PAL60-version to my PAL-collection. Tested the NTSC and PAL60 versions in STELLA and the game plays not bad.

Sadly some of the graphics in this "Xevious" prototype-version looks not so good, when you compare it with some other shooting-games on the Atari. Especially the player-spaceship looks stupid. Maybe sometime will come a hack of this game, which will have sprites, that looks more similar to the Arcade-port. Nevertheless, one game more, which can be played on PAL-consoles.

Edited by AW127
  • Like 1

Sometimes a lack of details and/or delay is due to someone wanting to hype up & improve what they have in order to put together a final report & possible product that makes it well worth the wait as it helps the lost item shine bright as it would have should have & could have had it seen the light of day.

Other times, they are caused by monkey wrenches and/or the ink not yet being dry on the backdoor side deals.

Of course, it could be neither, and the guys that run this show are just busy with real life.

Are you gonna release those protos you are sitting on soon?

Sadly some of the graphics in this "Xevious" prototype-version looks not so good, when you compare it with some other shooting-games on the Atari. Especially the player-spaceship looks stupid. Maybe sometime will come a hack of this game, which will have sprites, that looks more similar to the Arcade-port.

I personnaly find the game quite nice. The player's ship drawn using a missile was a clever choice to free a sprite resource and avoid flickering in the ennemies. Maybe they'd have been more polished if the game was not cancelled... we'll never know :) A sure thing, this kind of hack is far beyond my abilities !

PS : I wondered... except River Raid (and possibly Vanguard), do other vertical scrolling shooters exist ?

Edited by Cambouis de l'Atari

Nice video! :thumbsup:

"Fixed" only because the newer prototype had a few severe problems which I fixed. The more complete game play etc. was all there.

Hi Thomas:

This is a separate topic but since you're in here I thought I'd ask. Have you considered re-using your Missile Command-TB code to add native Trak-Ball compatibility to other 2600 conversions that used Trak-Balls [or trackballs] in their arcade original versions? I was thinking about Parker Bros' Reactor but Centipede and Millipede would be the more obvious choices. I've read Crystal Castles might be too CPU intense for native Trak-Ball support although if I recall that mainly applied to both A8 versions of the game.

By the way, Dan Kramer, the engineer who designed the CX-22 and CX-53 Atari Trak-Balls, is a big fan of your Missile Command-TB. He's mentioned it and demoed it to many people at the past two [sunnyvale & Davis] Atari Parties.

[Apologies if I've already asked you this question].

Maybe you asked before. Somebody (else?) definitely did. :)

Unlike MC, all games you mentioned are very (too) busy in the kernel (that's where you have to read the TB multiple times). But I remember Nukey Shay has attempted to convert one of them lately. The thread is somewhere here on AA.

Thanks for mentioning Dan's appreciation.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 1

Maybe you asked before. Somebody (else?) definitely did. :)

Unlike MC, all games you mentioned are very (too) busy in the kernel (that's where you have to read the TB multiple times). But I remember Nukey Shay has attempted to convert one of them lately. The thread is somewhere here on AA.

Thanks for mentioning Dan's appreciation.

Thanks for the info, Thomas. I was afraid of the kernel/CPU issues.

Last question on the subject… [i promise]. Since reading the Trak-Ball multiple times causes such CPU/kernel issues - and not just with the 2600 but also A8/5200 apparently for Crystal Castles - do you think it might be possible to offload that task to a DPC/DPC+ chip? The coding of the games would have to be heavily modded, of course, to enable that…if such a chip could handle such offloading tasks to begin with. Again thanks!

I'll let Dan know you said "hi". :)

Thanks again, Tempest... I've been playing this like crazy.

It's funny to read the (little bit of) media coverage this is getting, mostly similar in tone to that Kotaku piece. "Hey, this is SO OLD... isn't it WEIRD that things used to be primitive? Can you believe this crazy crap is what gaming used to be?" *sighs*

I had an early proto of this that is definitely less polished. Does anyone know any details about that one, and how it compares to this newly-discovered Jan 84 proto?

Also, I'm a little fuzzy on what differs between the two files that Tempest so graciously posted. What is the "fixed" ROM fixing? Can anyone help me understand? And perhaps how they fit into the development timeline with the other Xevious proto ROM that I have? (I believe it's from that other Atari site with the nice ZIP archive available.) It's obviously later, I wonder how early development on the game started, and how late it went.

[EDIT: D'oh! I found most of my timeline answers at the bottom of this page: http://www.atariprotos.com/2600/software/xevious/xevious.htm, along with some indication of the glitches that may have been fixed. Carry on!]

Edited by mikey.shake

Wow. Ok I'll say it....this has to be among the top arcade ports ever made. Really plays well.

It's funny to read the (little bit of) media coverage this is getting, mostly similar in tone to that Kotaku piece. "Hey, this is SO OLD... isn't it WEIRD that things used to be primitive? Can you believe this crazy crap is what gaming used to be?" *sighs*

Isn't it infuriating? This is running on 8k on a Pong-era console for Pete's sake! And honestly, the old games are often a lot more fun.

• Like 2

Funny, dis-heartening, whatever floats the boat. In that case a rowboat.

Games like these are the essence of electronic fun. It would do the world good if all developers studied the first games and incorporated past elements and philosophy in what they make today.

Wow. Ok I'll say it....this has to be among the top arcade ports ever made. Really plays well.

Isn't it infuriating? This is running on 8k on a Pong-era console for Pete's sake! And honestly, the old games are often a lot more fun.

The famed VCS. I personally consider it the first of the cartridge-based systems - however incorrect that may actually be. Maybe the first successful cartridge system, because all the others were failures in comparison.

It becomes an impressive port when you consider the limitations of the VCS, 1024 bits of RAM and a simple 5-switch joystick. To make this game on a system with so few resources is remarkable.

• Like 1