IGNORED

New: VECTREX Joystick Kit for sale

Rolo

• 2 populated boards (stick & auto-firing)

joystick cable

strain relief

2 potentiometers with knobs

2 switches

2 LEDs

4 buttons (SEIMITSU)

polyamide stick with central screw

screws and distance bolts

printout of the board design (paper template) to make drilling of your front panel easier

Price is US$ 55 plus shipping1). :party:

1) DHL: registered, priority airmail with insurance: = EUR 6.20 (~ US$ 6,96)

-Rolo

:)

• Like 3

Thanks for the information. I should have paid more attention to the original post as it was mentioned at the end. I assume most Vectrex fans are aware of victor marlands aluminum vectrex controller that he has posted on YouTube and the Vectrex fans unite page on Facebook . Could this kit be used inside such an enclosure? If so I could make a very similar if not identical enclosure. I have been a CNC machinist for over 7 years and have the necessary skills and access to the necessary machines. If there was enough interest and it was possible I could get a quote on having some made, and do a production run. I can also get them anodized in any color and engraved the same way.

Edited by adamchevy
  • Like 2

@adamchevy:

Richard H. wanted to do some 3D printing experiments, as far as I remember. Maybe he can tell us, if he had the time to do something like that.

Sure you can build the controller kit into such a fine box. The number of sold controller kits is very limited, so I don't know how many orders you can expect. Maybe people, who want one of your cases, could register here or PM you. Of course price is decisive. I noticed, many retro collectors are operating with a very tight budget. So do not expect much more, than just the fun of doing it. :) It is only a hobby.

I'm having a few wooden cases made at the moment. Maybe those could be useful, too. I'll post a few photos, as soon as I have them.

I don't have a beer. :-o

• Like 2

@adamchevy:

Richard H. wanted to do some 3D printing experiments, as far as I remember. Maybe he can tell us, if he had the time to do something like that.

Sure you can build the controller kit into such a fine box. The number of sold controller kits is very limited, so I don't know how many orders you can expect. Maybe people, who want one of your cases, could register here or PM you. Of course price is decisive. I noticed, many retro collectors are operating with a very tight budget. So do not expect much more, than just the fun of doing it. :) It is only a hobby.

I'm having a few wooden cases made at the moment. Maybe those could be useful, too. I'll post a few photos, as soon as I have them.

I don't have a beer. :-o

I would be happy to sell them as close to cost as possible. Of course in production the more you make the cheaper the cost. I would estimate:

1-10 $90-100each

10-20 $85-90each

When you get to a run of 50 or more you could get the price down around $65.

Of course these prices are just the enclosures.

I will talk with the owner of the shop I work for about it and see what he comes up with. What would be great is that if I bid them as an actual job the turn around time would be pretty quick. Maybe 3 weeks for the first run. After that probably half the time.

If anyone is interested please make mention of it in this thread or pm me and I will start keeping track.

Edited by adamchevy
  • Like 1

I'm curious, how many enclosures will be ordered.

People, who already have bought a controller kit, which is not already built into their own boxes, please consider, there are two geometrically different versions out there, since the kits originally were not intended to be built into a uniform case.

Before making a larger number of enclosures, another geometrical redesign could be taken into account. There is always room for improvements and optimizations. If more of my kits should be needed for that project, I need to know in advance, since I have to order parts and components and I have to make them. Or maybe you have some other plans for the electronics.

Cheers,

Rolo

• Like 1

Because of the attention this thread has been getting back recently, I assembled a few kits, with the components I had left. To be prepared, just in case. ;)

Only the connecting cable is not soldered in yet, and the controls are missing. I have to wait to get for my wooden case and built a prototype, before I do this.

post-32856-0-30173500-1475412738_thumb.jpg

Before being able to make further ones, I have to order parts. I easily can make another four, I think. Then I would have to reorder the not so easy obtainable parts, like printed sticks, joystick cables, Japanese buttons. This is not cheap, so I would only do this, if I had a list of customers, who really buy a kit. Let's see if demand is big enough. No need to hurry.

Cheers,

Rolo

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I am wondering whether Richard's 3D print design will work for the first batch of controller kits.

Are the latest boards quite a bit smaller than the first batch ?

Can you roughly estimate the printing cost/volume of used material?

I'll do that. I just need to alter the design to make it a bit stronger first.

It just fitted on the bed of my printer. Took 1 hour 26 minutes on fast print (0.3mm layers).

• 2 months later...

I now managed to fit Rolo's kit into Rochard H. Vecjoy box (thanks again Rich for the prototype).

Everything works fine !

I highly recommend this controller :

- Stick reactivity is excellent

- Firing buttons is definitely much better than on the original

- The Auto-Fire option on button s3 and 4, selectable, and adjustable, is working just perfectly

In the actual version of VecJoy box prototype, everything is quite tight.

Richard H. will be working on my comments / suggestions to make it even better I think !

It works both for Rolo's kit V1 (although not tested on my side) and Version 2.

Now the pictures :

MjxXMr.jpg

WZ18w6.jpg

9MddHj.jpg

• Like 6

I also received a prototype 'vecjoy' enclosure from Richard. There were a few modifications I had to make. On my kit, the header pins for connecting both boards together needed to be removed. Unlike the last example, my header pins were vertical from the board and not mounted at a 90 degree angle providing the ability to plug the cable in to the side of the board. I removed the pins and wired the boards directly. I also did not use the LED space/holder because they were too high so much so it would not allow the switches to protrude out of the box enough to access them. Other then that - it was pretty easy to install.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bcb9kjWU3VkUO8jnI4yylbr4sPcxRMGDZg/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17GnQVLphywFFMm6mRs63YdYG5UkdJBTglg/view?usp=sharing

• Like 2

Sorry for the inconvenience. Since there are many possibilities to mount the pcbs into cases, it's hard to deliver fitting mounting material or connector types for your special construction. It's just my basic guess, what you might need. Some "post-processing" will be needed in most cases.

• Like 1

I also received a prototype 'vecjoy' enclosure from Richard. There were a few modifications I had to make. On my kit, the header pins for connecting both boards together needed to be removed. Unlike the last example, my header pins were vertical from the board and not mounted at a 90 degree angle providing the ability to plug the cable in to the side of the board. I removed the pins and wired the boards directly. I also did not use the LED space/holder because they were too high so much so it would not allow the switches to protrude out of the box enough to access them. Other then that - it was pretty easy to install.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bcb9kjWU3VkUO8jnI4yylbr4sPcxRMGDZg/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17GnQVLphywFFMm6mRs63YdYG5UkdJBTglg/view?usp=sharing

Hi John,

Welcome to the VecJoy club !

I must admit I really enjoy playing with it.

Richard, one more comment : you could print 4 circles (7 mm diameter) in the back plate to paste rubber feet ; or maybe 5 with one in the center.

• Like 1

No need to say sorry these kits are great! I think they are the only decent option for someone looking to build an analog vectrex controller. I like the fact they can be customized. For those people like me that cant make a good looking case..i think the 3d printed cases are a great option if people feel comfortable with making minor changes here and there.

Sorry for the inconvenience. Since there are many possibilities to mount the pcbs into cases, it's hard to deliver fitting mounting material or connector types for your special construction. It's just my basic guess, what you might need. Some "post-processing" will be needed in most cases.