IGNORED

Fortran 77 on Atari 8 bit?

ALGOL influenced a whole host of languages, including Pascal.

Simula, was a variant of ALGOL that defined object orientation.

As did the EULER variant of Simula. (That's pronouned "Oiler" for those of us who are Americans)

C was descended from B, which was a simplified version of BCPL, which was patterned after CPL, which was heavily patterned after ALGOL.

and so on...

Basically, if you have a basic syntactical graph like:

datatype variable;

datatype function(parm1, parm2,...);

and your operations are infixed, and you have a concept of records (structures), your language was most likely derived from ALGOL.

-Thom

I launched Notepad++ and discovered one of the windows I had open was the disassembly of the Apple UCSD engine I was messing with.
I used info in the header to do a search and found the original disassembly pdf which you can find here:
http://www.downloads.reactivemicro.com/Public/Users/Grant_Stockley/Apple2Pascal11PCodeIntDism.pdf

Someone has also started a UCSD yahoo group. There are a lot of files there including the one above:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/UCSDPascal/info

That's probably what you'll need to get the Apple Fortran going.

Edited by JamesD
  • Like 1

Endless wow JamesD. For me, that is Christmas in Summer! :-)))

But please let finish the time critical things in the Wiki first. MAC/65 and BASIC XE source code are the main goals. APX is near to complete, Dorsett in the next days and Learning should be done by the younger ones. :-)

Thanks you so much, your help is incredible. :-)))

I'm not really sure using a search engine and relaying some info I already knew due to a project of my own is wow material but you are welcome.
I've already done some work towards turning the disassembly into real source. Just let me know once you are ready to mess with it and I'll give you what I have.

From what I read of the syntax it appears Fortran does not require any characters that the Atari lacks. (Like the way C needs danged, curly braces.)

Yes, FORTRAN requires no more than 48 characters. It uses syntax like .LT. instead of special characters like <.

http://homepage.cs.uiowa.edu/~jones/cards/codes.html

My first programming class taught FORTRAN in 1975. We punched cards on the high school's old (even then) 026 and sent them to the computer center overnight. Next day we would have printouts. So you got one run per day!

Fun sim:

http://www.masswerk.at/keypunch/

Edited by ClausB

Yes, FORTRAN requires no more than 48 characters. It uses syntax like .LT. instead of special characters like <.

http://homepage.cs.uiowa.edu/~jones/cards/codes.html

My first programming class taught FORTRAN in 1975. We punched cards on the high school's old (even then) 026 and sent them to the computer center overnight. Next day we would have printouts. So you got one run per day!

Fun sim:

http://www.masswerk.at/keypunch/

Oh boy, an 026... Those things were built like tanks. The keyboard layout on those would drive anybody bat-shit crazy, today, especially with the shifting combos that you needed for certain characters. Too bad you didn't get an 029, those were much better (well, as better as...IBM could be, in those days...quite relative...) :)

Awesome. in 1987 one of the computer classes in the Air Force's computer programming tech school used punched cards. The computer was some kind of Honeywell mainframe, or something. Mostly I remember the six bit "bytes". And the fact my assembly language deck ended up with exactly 256 cards.

I heard a card punch system was still being used for Basic Trainee payroll when I left the Air Force.

• Like 1

My first college programming class in 1983 was Fortran.

Part of the class was on a Harris and part was on a Cyber.

I don't remember which models anymore.

*edit*

No punch cards though.

I think the Harris was octal based.

The Cyber may have been a CDC 6000.

Edited by JamesD

• 6 years later...
On 7/15/2015 at 7:52 PM, kenjennings said:

Yup. I work for transaction processing at a bank. The credit systems run on mainframes and they hire people and teach them COBOL. Banks are the cheapest sons-of-guns on the planet and won't replace anything until it rusts away to nothing.

The irony...

On 7/29/2015 at 2:24 PM, tschak909 said:

Oh boy, an 026... Those things were built like tanks. The keyboard layout on those would drive anybody bat-shit crazy, today, especially with the shifting combos that you needed for certain characters. Too bad you didn't get an 029, those were much better (well, as better as...IBM could be, in those days...quite relative...) :)

Now that I think about it, we might have had an 029 in the high school. My college had the 026 units. I remember being disappointed in that, especially since I had used Altair micros in high school after the keypunch was retired.

• Like 1