IGNORED

BOMBER game coming to A8

Hi guys.

Me, Xuel, Poison and Powersoft/Pro© are happy to present you with a new game coming out soon for the A8 called BOMBER.

The game takes the idea of an 90s C64 game that was released for the Commodore Format magazine cover tape:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cvq2bWiAhIc

This game is based on the older Kaboom by Activision but with nicer looking graphics. We have to code the game from scratch (C64 used Multicolour Bitmap Mode where on A8 is various ANTIC4 charsets across the screen, PMGs code,...), changed some buildings and the city sky line to fit in the A8's capabilities, added a counter of remaining bombs needed to complete the level on the right side. We also re-designed the bombs and the Mad Bomber guy together with other behaviour on the bombs because it seemed very hard to play after certain levels:

post-6517-0-43825800-1436959458_thumb.pngpost-6517-0-30070900-1436959427_thumb.png

We created some loading pictures for the disc release and our own Atari music and sounds, save and load to a pre-formatted disc,...

We are now adding new screens and some different skylines so that in the future we will have three skylines, three walls and three walkways that will be mixed and changed on every level. We took advantage of the A8 palette to design the sky gradients (reddish/orange to blues, greens, browns, etc.):

post-6517-0-16463400-1436959495_thumb.png

A new screen for the last level 48:

post-6517-0-49055200-1436959594_thumb.png

And we also made our own variation of the screen at the end of the game with scrolling coloured bars:

post-6517-0-25109400-1436959528_thumb.png

We will also add some more sounds and music between levels, and for the game over screen. Here's a video of what we have by now. As you can see it looks a lot like your C64 version but includes necessary changes for the A8, our music and sound fxs, new sprites and bomb behaviour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj8zhFbVpw0

It is now waiting for all the original guys authorization so that we can enter on the ABBUC 2015 Software Contest.

We sincerilly think you will like and play it.

Thanks.

:)

José Pereira

Edited by José Pereira
  • Like 13

Should you not have got the permission before doing the game?

Looks great tho but it's what I call 'a hair loss game', because you will be pulling it out by the strands playing that :)

No problem because we will release it with or without the Contest but we'll get the permission, the game isn't original because it's based on Kaboom and the original was Public Domain and only got released on the Commodore Format User magazine cover tape.

And no need to because you can play it also with Z and X keys, maybe we'll add Paddle control in the future :) ...

Edited by José Pereira
  • Like 1

No problem because we will release it with or without the Contest but we'll get the permission, the game isn't original because it's based on Kaboom and the original was Public Domain and only got released on the Commodore Format User magazine cover tape.

And no need to because you can play it also with Z and X keys, maybe we'll add Paddle control in the future :) ...

Oh good that you get permission or release anyway, would not want all the hard work to go to waste..

As for the keys approach, yes, that's the way to go and maybe as you say a paddle later on..

Congrats...

Hey Jose',

the game looks really good. Do you have an estimated time for the game to be ready/released? If it is for ABBUC compo I suppose it is almost ready , right?

Thanks

Paulo

After the the ABBUC anual meeting we'll talk, it will, I think it may be at the end of Summer/September, untill then because of the rules and if we enter it will only be available to the club members but you can become a member and play all games in contest during the next month and vote on them.
  • Like 2

Humm... Changing name it will give me many many troubles: Have to re-design 'Bomber' in the presentation with music picture, loading, credits/hi-score and that in-game with the wood wall.

But even if I changed, by ABBUC Software Contest this year new rules if we are using that hi-res font and used the design of the original in-game wood wall screen, don't we still need to have their permission?

I guess it gets a bit tricky. If the game is done then the effort to change it just to be original is probably not worth it.

Best then to stay on course, get permission to copy the copy.

If they say no, then just make sufficient changes to make it look less similar.

• Like 2

I never get very far in Kaboom and because of that I rarely play this game.

Hopefully Bomber will be more/longer playable for me.

But there is another game of this genre, which I like very much, available originally for Paddles, later also patched for Joystick control:

Wild West (Paddles): http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-wild-west_5773.html

Wild West (Joystick): http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-wild-west_17169.html

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nice and good looking!

I am not trying to be rude, but I don't like the "S" in the Powersoft logo. It does remind me of two of those letters during the second world war....

Hi Fred. You're not rude, it's what you think when you saw it.

Let me first explain and what are my thoughts:

Like I already said it was you that when you saw it remmembers that certain 'S' but all know that it isn't and that were 2 not 1 and weren't, as far as I remember in yellow/light colour but in dark.

This Powersoft together with the Pro© and the 'Listen in Stereo' screens were created by me (the first two based on Powersoft and Pro© logos) when me and Xuel together with Poison started our partnership with Markus to help him on the Pro© magazine so this screen with that letters has now some months, Ransack disc version came first in December of last year:

No one thought in that 'S' like you and of course that I respect your point of view and as I know you also will respect mine, that 'S' is about danger like the 'W' is a sort of electricity. Me as artist thought in represent the Powersoft name logo that way to show power, electricity, danger,... and all sort of related things. That is also why those two letters are in yellows:

post-6517-0-89523300-1437754309_thumb.png

@Markus/Powersoft: Of course it can be any other but not sure now is in what colours are possible, indeed, there, as far as I remember now, are two Players (P0&P1) and because the PFs colours where choosed in a way that I could get the PMGs nice Orings using Prior0.

To me changing the S then my idea goes 'BOOM!' and don't know if the 'W' that way still makes sense there.

Come on guys it's an artist ;) creation :) that no one of you untill now came Fred thinks in it and it isn't indeed what he thinks, it's one not two. Just because of this will you destroy my idea and creation, I don't think so.

Markus believe me and I hope that you understand, I have no idea what other way. And because I am not happy having to change it then I hope that you agree to keep it like it is now.

That is what I think and hope that you understand my position.

Thanks.

José Pereira

Edited by José Pereira
  • Like 1