IGNORED

Atari 2600 RGB mod

Yurkie

Just curious as to the cost of an install and where you are located?

Since I just ordered the kit, I can confirm he is located in Ohio. Not sure what the cost of installation is though.

Just to comment on the RBG board, it works great (after a few moments of user error) and the install was much easier than NESRGB. I only wish Nintendo socketed all their chips, repair and modding would be so much easier. So I just finished my 6 switch and part of me wants to mod my vader "just because it's there". For reference, I'm using a framemeister to upscale, and as other users have mentioned, the original Warlords cartridge will not work for me :(

Just curious as to the cost of an install and where you are located?

I'm in Toledo, OH

I'm Tim's US Distributor for the 2600 RGB and NESRGB.

Send me PM if your interested in having the mod done.

• 2 months later...

Have you hooked up any thing else and verified that RGB with Exe, snyc. is working? Are you using the same cables and ports as your NES?

Have you hooked up a genesis or an snes? Both use same RGBs wiring.

What cabling are you using to connect to the PVM?

Tims board Has 6 (the 5volts are needed for scart hookups - including some switchers) connections but 5 required for your set up - R G B CS#(sync sig.) and Ground.

http://etim.net.au/2600rgb/2600rgb_wiring.pdf

As with ALL wiring - intermittent wiring problems especially - CHECK YOU GROUNDS! and then check them again - cars, housing, electronics & ect. Most of the worst head scratchers Ive had have been ground problems.

After stepping away from this for a while, I took another look through everything and found my error, I had the 8pin mini din board soldered on in reverse causing the pins to be mismatched. Switched it over to the correct orientation soldered every thing back up and now everything works perfectly. Great kit and crystal clear RGB for the 2600! Thanks for the assistance it troubleshooting what ended up being a silly mistake on my part.

After stepping away from this for a while, I took another look through everything and found my error, I had the 8pin mini din board soldered on in reverse causing the pins to be mismatched. Switched it over to the correct orientation soldered every thing back up and now everything works perfectly. Great kit and crystal clear RGB for the 2600! Thanks for the assistance it troubleshooting what ended up being a silly mistake on my part.

Good to hear. I've gotten in a rush and done it myself. ;)

The component kit for the 2600rgb and nesrgb looks pretty good too.

Any one getting the rgb kit should consider spending the the extra $20(?). It's really nice to be able to hook it up to 240p compatible tvs. Since they are easier to get than a rgb monitor.

Edited by H454

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone else tackled a 2600 Jr. install? I just wrapped up one on mine this morning and it was probably one of the trickiest RGB board installs I've ever done. Getting the flex adapter soldered on was actually pretty easy, the tricky bit was getting the connectors on since I didn't want them on the sides. Just adding a 3.5 mm audio jack required a bit of guesswork and luck.

• 4 weeks later...

I've had no issues installing the NESRGB board, but I'm having trouble with the 2600rgb. I followed the install guide and I'm using the same cable as my nesrgb but I get squeeling audio and no video. The light on the chip only comes on for a brief moment when powering on. I'm using a third party power supply from console5.

Just found the issue. It was the power supply.

I was using a power supply from Retrobit I got from eStarland

I replaced it with a genuine one I got from Best Electronics:

And now the noise is gone. :)

Yeah, I was hoping it was the PSU when I read the comment, then,,,, yep, hahaha.
I also tend to get Medical grade PSU's, not often more expensive, vewy vewy quiet, like hunting Wabbits!

Just found the issue. It was the power supply.
I was using a power supply from Retrobit I got from eStarland
I replaced it with a genuine one I got from Best Electronics:
And now the noise is gone. :)

• Like 1

I was testing a few games and I found out another two that have issues with 2600RGB + Framemeister.

They are:

- Video Pinball: it crashes on the first screen, unplayable

- Tapper: playable, but graphical issues everywhere

Tapper is one of my favorite games, I hope there is a fix. :(

Tapper is fixed.

I got the PAL60 hacks from Omegamatrix and alex_79. They had already fixed the timing problems, so I just had to generate binaries of the original NTSC version, including their hacks.

More info on my blog post: http://www.skooterblog.com/2017/07/26/problemas-e-solucoes-tapper-e-2600rgb-framemeister/

Tapper (fixed).asm

Tapper (fixed).bin

Tapper (fixed2).asm

Tapper (fixed2).bin

Edited by skooter
  • Like 1

Tapper is fixed.

I got the PAL60 hacks from Omegamatrix and alex_79. They had already fixed the timing problems, so I just had to generate binaries of the original NTSC version, including their hacks.

More info on my blog post: http://www.skooterblog.com/2017/07/26/problemas-e-solucoes-tapper-e-2600rgb-framemeister/

Beautiful 60fps captures, are you sure you didn't use Stella? :-D (Just kidding)

Tapper is fixed.

That's a great image! How does Draconian look?

You have a minor typo in my name in your blog entry. It also might make sense to show "Tradução/Translation" above the flags, or to show "Translation" while in Português (and "Tradução" while in English).

RGB, S-Video, and Composite Video output? For a product intended to make it easier to hook a 2600 to modern A/V equipment, the design seems about 10 years out of date.

its not like a mod for HDMI is going to increase the native resolution of the console. Native res TIA RGB is the best output a 1977 era console with 160x192 resolution could hope for.

Either way, you're still going to be upscaling the picture on an HD set, whtether you use a dedicated RGB to hdmi converter, or you let the TV upconvert the analog signal. You would have to build an entirely new motherboard for the Atari 2600 to have it output true HD resolutions. Everything else is an analog to digital compromise. Knowing this, native res RGB is the best you can get without designing an entirely different console.

Edited by DrSidneyZweibel
  • Like 1

That's a great image! How does Draconian look?

It looks great. I just recorded it. I'm encoding the video now and I'll upload it soon.

It's the first time I played it though, so it won't be a pretty performance. :)

You have a minor typo in my name in your blog entry. It also might make sense to show "Tradução/Translation" above the flags, or to show "Translation" while in Português (and "Tradução" while in English).

Sorry about that. Just fixed it. I also reviewed the automatic translation. It was barely readable, now it's ok.

The text above the flags should be fixed soon. I corrected it, but it's probably caching somewhere I can't find.

• Like 1

From the title screen, it looks like Youtube is recording only every 2nd frame. Maybe enable phosphor.

Make sure Youtube is actually running on 1080p60. Sometimes the "Auto" setting says it is when, in fact, it isn't.

Isn't "phosphor" a Stella setting?

I'm using the PICTURE image mode on Framemeister, which is best suited for progressive sources. I may try the NATURAL image mode to see how it looks.

But first, does Draconian use 480i only on title screen or does it also use it on gameplay?