IGNORED

My PS3 just died! Flashing Red light!

SoundGammon

Turned on my PS3 last night and the green came on for a second, flashed yellow, then just flashing red!

I found out that that the thermal grease needs to be redone.

Ordered some on-line, will be here next week.

Reason I want to keep it going is because it's the older unit that plays PS1 & PS2 games.

I saw some older ones at pawn shops and it got me thinking how does one know if it plays PS1 & 2 games without hooking it up?

Certain serial numbers or what?

Is it that 'easy' to fix? My PS3 Fat died earlier this year so I got a nice slim to replace it (the super slim's 'sliding CD cover' is an abomination unto the Lord). I actually like the slim better than the Fat since it runs much MUCH quieter, but of course it can play PS2 games. I still have my fat and I've wanted to fix it but I assumed I had to resolder something. If all I have to do is reapply the thermal paste then I might want to try repairing it.

Is it that 'easy' to fix? My PS3 Fat died earlier this year so I got a nice slim to replace it (the super slim's 'sliding CD cover' is an abomination unto the Lord). I actually like the slim better than the Fat since it runs much MUCH quieter, but of course it can play PS2 games. I still have my fat and I've wanted to fix it but I assumed I had to resolder something. If all I have to do is reapply the thermal paste then I might want to try repairing it.

Its a temporary fix. You're going to have to do it again. Have the motherboard reballed and you'll be fine.

Turned on my PS3 last night and the green came on for a second, flashed yellow, then just flashing red!

I found out that that the thermal grease needs to be redone.

Ordered some on-line, will be here next week.

Reason I want to keep it going is because it's the older unit that plays PS1 & PS2 games.

I saw some older ones at pawn shops and it got me thinking how does one know if it plays PS1 & 2 games without hooking it up?

Certain serial numbers or what?

Based on the models chart linked, if it has 4 usb slots, it should have PS2 BC. Although I think the 80GB models are software emulation?

To be honest you're much better off getting a newer PS3 and a slim PS2. Even if you do manage to get a 20GB/60GB PS3 working again the chances of it failing again are very high.

I just use a 320GB PS3 Slim and a PS2 Slim (with component video cable) now since my 60GB BC PS3 died.

Edited by R.Bear

• 4 weeks later...

Although I think the 80GB models are software emulation?

It was a hybrid hardware/software solution in later BC North American PS3's. One of the two major PS2 chips has an emulator substituted in its place while the other remains. This is why it ultimately disappeared entirely when that second chip was eliminated to further drive down production costs.

If the European BC model is any indication (They never got the original model that we did, thanks to a later launch over there), this setup for PS2 titles works just fine in the vast majority of cases.

Edited by Atariboy

Of course, eventually, PS2 classic were release that can be played by any PS3. Granted, these are digital downloads only... I had forgotten how these work. I think there is an emulator built in for each game......

There's some debate there on exactly how those operate, that sadly looks set to remain unanswered.

There's some debate there on exactly how those operate, that sadly looks set to remain unanswered.

Well, pulling out the hardware feature, and then re-releasing them as classics in a digital form, regardless how the emulation or porting is done get people to pay for old games again.

What they call a "classic" is weird sometimes. Yes, I am glad I can play Suikoden 2 again without having to pay a boat load of money for a physical copy, but some shovel ware gets re-released too, and I don't understand why they would put the effort into some of those titles....

• Like 1

What they call a "classic" is weird sometimes. Yes, I am glad I can play Suikoden 2 again without having to pay a boat load of money for a physical copy, but some shovel ware gets re-released too, and I don't understand why they would put the effort into some of those titles....

Same here, which makes me believe that it's full blown software emulation since it's difficult to imagine much in the way of resources having been expended to rerelease many of the dubious choices that they've gone with.

But there's not a consensus on exactly how it works and as far as I'm aware, Sony has never provided any real clarification on the topic (Unlike Microsoft for a recent example, which has been quite open about Xbox 360 emulation on the Xbox One).

Edited by Atariboy