IGNORED

Where should I look for a pro controller?

babrasch

They are rarer than hens teeth. It took me a year or two to track down four of them and the better part of $800 bucks. The problem I found with cheaper ones is that they were often in very rough shape and it was worth spending a little more for minty examples. They pop up on eBay a few times a year, expect to pay $140-$220 for a clean/new example. Happy hunting!! Worth the money into as I use nothing else when Jag gaming now. Besides the extra buttons they are smaller and feel better in your hands.

Edited by travistouchdown

I've had an eye on this one for a while. They're asking too much imo, and sure enough its been listed for ages. $150-$200 USD should win you a minty pro controller if you are patient.

It all comes down to the economical powers of demand and the amount of the demanded out there.

As travis says he got 4 of them, and I reckon the rest is stuck in collections around, and the few around gets pricey as more people come along collecting.

Fewer pro controllers + more interests = insaane price! In a year this one will be sold to someone that doesn't own one yet.

It has probably gone very fast, as you say. I just collected a Jaglink and the next day anotherone got sold from B&C and pretty rapidly the last will follow, since I among some others wouldn't want to miss out. To me the standard controller does the job, actually I like its flaws and find it a big part of the Jag experience, but I wouldn't miss out on a Jaglink. When the B&C jaglinks are all out, whe same will happen to the price of it, since almost all will be absorbed in collections as well...

(3 sold only in july: http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBidsLogin&item=141626308039&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2564 )

Edited by Atlantis
  • Like 1

May as well spend another $30 and get this as an alternative to the over priced JagLink:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATARI-Jaguar-Multi-IO-Board-Deluxe-Model-JagLink2-RGB-Svideo-Headphone-Amp-/181797091148?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a53f3774c

...and yeah, crazy what Pro Controllers are fetching these days. I thought $80 was expensive!

May as well spend another $30 and get this as an alternative to the over priced JagLink:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATARI-Jaguar-Multi-IO-Board-Deluxe-Model-JagLink2-RGB-Svideo-Headphone-Amp-/181797091148?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a53f3774c

...and yeah, crazy what Pro Controllers are fetching these days. I thought $80 was expensive!

but you need 2 of them to link, right?

jaglink comes with 2 interfaces in one box, and it is official - part of the "real" experience, it you're in to that.

but you need 2 of them to link, right?

jaglink comes with 2 interfaces in one box, and it is official - part of the "real" experience, it you're in to that.

Oh... my bad. Forgot the Jaglink includes two units. :)

Seems a "better" deal then. Just that they were $20-$25 for so many years!

Atari Jaguar Pro-Controller: Overrated.

It's nice, but not nice enough to pay through the nose for it.

My personal fave is the grey buttoned standard controller. Especially the one Danny Galaga customised into a Rapid Fire Controller for me (RF Commander). It's a bit mushier than the black buttoned standard controller, but it really works the best for me.

After a while, I find the Pro Controler to be not as comfortable for long gaming periods, plus, the 6-buttons don't have as much value as you'd hope imo. I found them most useful on NBA JAM TE & Missile Command 3D. But otherwise, I wasn't too fussed.

• Like 2

Oh... my bad. Forgot the Jaglink includes two units. :)

Seems a "better" deal then. Just that they were $20-$25 for so many years!

No problem =) They cost $49 today, so the pro controller is much more extreme.

Guess that the pro controller is more interesting to more people, and the Jaglink being more peripheral. I just love the fact to play Doom on two tv:s, beyond having a "proper" modern control pad (in a hardware comparison). When I play I seldom think of the controller but focus on the game, since the controller doesn't mess with my head. The only game that mess with me, concerning the controller, is sidestepping on #4 and #6 in Towers II. That sucks. In DOOM, AvP and Wolf I can live with the C button sidestepping, tho it is not a perfect feature.

Edited by Atlantis

This time last year Pro Controllers were averaging $80.

No.

The extra buttons are and are not as useful as you might think they are. At first, you will be disappointed by how many games use them, but as you use the Pro Controllers more you will discover where everything is mapped and the new layout can come in quite handy on games that weren't designed for the pro controller. As to whether or not they are more comfortable in your hands, that depends on you. I find their slightly smaller size and less steep faceplate angle to be more comfortable, but I guess not everyone does..

This is the kind of dumb crap you will have to deal with as you try and track down a pro controller:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-Jaguar-Pro-Controller-6-Button-Control-Pad-RED-D-Pad-Prototype-One-A-Kind-/291519082849?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43dfe43161

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Atari-Jaguar-Pro-Controller-BOX-ONLY-NO-CONTROLLER-VERY-RARE-/221821172074?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item33a592796a

Wow just for the box! Really? You think there'd be a Pro Controller in their for that much...

Skip the "hopes and dreams" BIN's and wait for an auction to pay market price, which even then will confound and surprise you, but at least be out of the stratosphere..

• 3 weeks later...

Here's one. May set a new record from the looks of it..lol

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Boxed-Atari-Jaguar-Pro-Controller-CIB-/121728591569?hash=item1c5796e6d1

I opened my two sealed ones yesterday as i'm looking to store the boxes and start using them. I'll post a pic soon with all four hooked up to the team tap.

• Like 1

Another vote for overrated. I've owned a couple and honestly think they are no better than the standard; in fact, I actually find the thicker standard controller feels more comfy in my mitts. The button action didn't seem much different to me from the standard, and the shoulder buttons were not much use in the majority of games.

If you can find one cheap, it might be worth it, but I certainly wouldn't pay 3 digit prices for one.

Edited by ls650
  • Like 1

Holy smokes and that's an unfinished auction for a used one! Does look very lightly used tho so that's good. Prolly end even higher with 18 bidders going at it like a pack of rabid hyenas ripping apart a gazelle. lol. All the articles on the net tell how bad the Jaguar is and how lame the controllers are but the Jag still flys in the retrogamers' eyes, huh! ;)

Edited by ovalbugmann
  • Like 2